Votes: 54 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 81 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
Service in other countries does suck compared to the US. And I've been to "nice" countries (i.e. Switzerland, Norway, and Australia).

This sounds like typical progressive feel good bullshit.

Have fun with your $15 minimum wage Seattle. See ya when you need bailed out!

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Because then you have people bitching about minimal wage increases. People need to get paid some how. Tips go away, meal prices most likely increase to cover the wage increase for the servers. Can't have your cake and eat it too. Stop being a tight ass.

Last edited:

VerySneaky

Bug Annihilator
Established Member
The only time I haven't tipped was when food came out cold, and the check took 25 minutes after request, on a dead night. Go the **** home if you don't want to work, I'm not paying your salary. On general though, if they keep my glass filled they get 20%.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
I lived in Sicily for three years and traveled to multiple other countries while I was there. The last thing I would be complaining about while I was in Europe would be the service in restaurants. Once I immersed myself in their culture I realized that most places expect you to keep the table for the evening. They are not there to rush you out the door and get the next table seated like here in the states. There's a reason you get water in a bottle over there and it doesn't have anything to do with them trying to make money or avoid coming back for refills. Imo, if you're getting shitty service, nine times out of ten you need to look in the mirror for the reason. I've complained to management maybe twice in the last 10 years about a server. I grew up watching how my father treated people and I was mortified. I don't look down on them as servants, they're just people doing a job like I would. I rarely get bad service and when I do I adjust my tip accordingly. I'm all for tipping, it keeps the cost of food down and allows me to grade the service. If a server cant make money because they are bad at their job they will leave the industry.

lxboy

Established Member
Servers arn't the only ones who rely on tips guys. As a valet i do pretty well and am often taken back with how generous people can be for what i consider a pretty simple task of parking their car.

What bothers me is there are people out there, some of whom have posted in this thread i can tell by their tone, that never had to work a service job. The types who f'ed around until daddy was ready to retire, or worked hard in school but never had a job before getting that engineering position , or the housewife/devorce that only ever spread her legs for a living. These people have no common sense, and consistantly tip like shit even though they have consistantly more $$.

Yes some servers are rude just like any other industry. But remember there are factors other than your server/valet/whomever that causes bad service. Do you think i wanted to take forever bringing the car back while i wait for people from a concert exiting the parking garage? Do you think the server wanted the kitchen to lose the ticket causing a delay in your order? The people i mentioned above do not think of this becuase they have never been there and simply take it out on you with rude comments or no tip.

rancid

Established Member
I always tip and have no problem doing it if I receive good service. I'd much rather have the flexibility of leaving what I think is fair vs. it being included automatically and then receive subpar service.

xenodragon

Established Member
Yes some servers are rude just like any other industry. But remember there are factors other than your server/valet/whomever that causes bad service. Do you think i wanted to take forever bringing the car back while i wait for people from a concert exiting the parking garage? Do you think the server wanted the kitchen to lose the ticket causing a delay in your order? The people i mentioned above do not think of this becuase they have never been there and simply take it out on you with rude comments or no tip.

Then tell me why this happened. If you are taking 10 minutes to bring my car back without a reason, you arent getting a tip. But if you come back and say "I am sorry a concert is getting out and took a little longer than I liked" then you will be tipped the full amount. I cant magically guess whats going on behind the scenes. Same with a waitress. You are the client server, doesn't matter what happens in the kitchen, you are the one interacting with me...and will be tipped accordingly.

With that said, I hate tipping. I avoid sit down restaurants so i do not have to pay extra for my food in the form of tips. I get no enjoyment or benefit of someone bring it out to me. I will happily go to the back of the kitchen and grab it myself.

Last edited:

ArmedSuspect

destroy everything
Established Member
customers are likely to blame for much of the "perceived" bad service....

http://news.distractify.com/culture/craigslist-surveillance-restaurant/

Nice Guy Eddie: C'mon, throw in a buck!

Mr. Pink: Uh-uh, I don't tip.

Nice Guy Eddie: You don't tip?

Mr. Pink: Nah, I don't believe in it.

Nice Guy Eddie: You don't believe in tipping?

Mr. Blue: You know what these chicks make? They make shit.

Mr. Pink: Don't give me that. She don't make enough money that she can quit.

Nice Guy Eddie: I don't even know a ****ing Jew who'd have the balls to say that. Let me get this straight: you don't ever tip?

Mr. Pink: I don't tip because society says I have to. All right, if someone deserves a tip, if they really put forth an effort, I'll give them something a little something extra. But this tipping automatically, it's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned, they're just doing their job.

Mr. Blue: Hey, our girl was nice.

Mr. Pink: She was okay. She wasn't anything special.

Mr. Blue: What's special? Take you in the back and suck your dick?

Nice Guy Eddie: I'd go over twelve percent for that.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
With that said, I hate tipping. I avoid sit down restaurants so i do not have to pay extra for my food in the form of tips. I get no enjoyment or benefit of someone bring it out to me. I will happily go to the back of the kitchen and grab it myself.
So you have no problem if all of these restaurants abolish tipping while raising their prices by 15-20% across the board, right? :bored:

U.M.

TaraFirma

Established Member
My tips will usually start at 20% and go up or down depending on the service. My glass needs to stay full though. What I hate, is the tip jar at the counter of a place that doesn't serve me at all. If I order on one end and pick it up on another end of the same counter, and get my own drinks, What the **** service am I tipping for? The "tip" jar if just a "free ****ing money" jar. I guess some idiots feel obligated to tip though since it's out there.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
no tip = much more expensive dining experiences.

like movie theaters, they have ( or will ) pretty much priced themselves out of business.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
I dont believe in tipping so i dont tip.

Rotzs99

Established Member
My tips will usually start at 20% and go up or down depending on the service. My glass needs to stay full though. What I hate, is the tip jar at the counter of a place that doesn't serve me at all. If I order on one end and pick it up on another end of the same counter, and get my own drinks, What the **** service am I tipping for? The "tip" jar if just a "free ****ing money" jar. I guess some idiots feel obligated to tip though since it's out there.

This and the places that include the tip line of their receipts when there is nothing deserving of a tip.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
In Japan it's an insult to tip.

It is in a lot of places outside the US. I thought the porter at my hotel in Singapore was going to cry when I tried to tip him.

I've been to a few places in the past couple of years...I think the major problem is that Americans have an overinflated sense of entitlement when it comes to food service, usually accompanied by a failure somehow to understand that they are NOT IN AMERICA. I've spent time in Paris, London, Edinburgh, Copenhagen, Singapore, and Rio, and of all my trips I can't think of a time where I had "bad" service on par with the "bad" service I've had in America.

First off, Americans want everything FAST. They want to be in and out in an hour or less. Eating is an errand, a chore. The rest of the world sees meals as a social event, not to be rushed, but to be enjoyed in good company. It's a break from your day, time to relax, slow down, recover. It's actually quite nice. The servers don't push to get you in and out at American speed, because it's not culturally kosher. They're not looking to clear the table and get the next paying customer in, they're looking to let you enjoy your meal at what they see as a normal pace.

Refills. You want refills? Ask for tap water. There's nothing wrong with it, it tastes fine, and you will get refills. That, or buy a bottle of wine - I bet it'll be cheaper than a bottle of Coke.

Chatting...you want to go to a restaurant and chat with the waitstaff? Isn't that what you meet friends for? While I've never had an issue getting advice or directions from waiters, I also don't expect them to entertain me. They're there to interface between myself and the cook and nothing more. If you expect entertainment from a restaurant, go to a cabaret (which is a hell of a lot of fun BTW) or sit at the bar. Otherwise, there is no reason to expect anything above and beyond.

Who cares if the waiter doesn't smile when they bring your bread? Does that make it taste bad? Seriously, all you travelers whining about European waiters that SUCK, maybe it's your expectations that SUCK. You're the ones that give Americans a bad rap around the world. America isn't the world. Cultures differ. Flying all the way to London/Paris/Singapore/etc and expecting Houston service and Houston food is asinine. Hell, you can't even get Houston service in Los Angeles. :p

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I don't think tipping should be abolished. More like cheap asses should avoid going out to eat and complaining about it.

Right?

OP, you are tipping to ensure proper service, by waiting to pay for the service you get at the end of the meal.

It has nothing to do with the income the server makes. Adding $5/hr to their pay wont make servers work any harder or any less since that will just come out of the establishments bottom line.

But, a payment directly from the customer to the server ensures the server will always do their best for you. Otherwise, if they are just working for their employer, they will never service you to the best of their ability because all that matters is making their boss happy, not always the customer.

Im glad someone else brought up Europe's horrendous service industry. Sure, if you want fine dining establishments to treat you like you stepped into mcdonalds, and go get your own soda refills, and have no recourse when food isnt prepared to your liking after they asked how you wanted your steak done, then by all means keep up your fruitless argument against tipping.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Right?

OP, you are tipping to ensure proper service, by waiting to pay for the service you get at the end of the meal.

It has nothing to do with the income the server makes. Adding $5/hr to their pay wont make servers work any harder or any less since that will just come out of the establishments bottom line.

But, a payment directly from the customer to the server ensures the server will always do their best for you. Otherwise, if they are just working for their employer, they will never service you to the best of their ability because all that matters is making their boss happy, not always the customer.

Im glad someone else brought up Europe's horrendous service industry. Sure, if you want fine dining establishments to treat you like you stepped into mcdonalds, and go get your own soda refills, and have no recourse when food isnt prepared to your liking after they asked how you wanted your steak done, then by all means keep up your fruitless argument against tipping.

Seriously. When I see threads like this on here it really irks me to know there are people out there like this. OMG, it's such a horrible ****ing thing to show gratitude towards someones service!! Just because my job does not tip does not mean I should have hate for those that do.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i have never understood a tip jar in a place like starbucks or a juice place. in a place like that, how is that really considered food service? also if i pay with cash they're expecting me to put something in there, but if i pay with a card they aren't?

its like in that seinfeld episode about the tip jar... if they don't notice, whats the point lol

but to the poll i would vote yes, it has become far too "expected" in our society

lxboy

Established Member
Then tell me why this happened. If you are taking 10 minutes to bring my car back without a reason, you arent getting a tip. But if you come back and say "I am sorry a concert is getting out and took a little longer than I liked" then you will be tipped the full amount. I cant magically guess whats going on behind the scenes. Same with a waitress. You are the client server, doesn't matter what happens in the kitchen, you are the one interacting with me...and will be tipped accordingly.

My man... Of course if there is an issue a compitant service industry worker will try to explain and apologize. Believe me 90% percent of the time it falls on deaf ears and we are just making excuses

You refer to tipping as paying extra for food. This just highlights the attitude im speaking of. The price of food is stated on the menu, tipping is for sitting on your ass while food and drinks are prepared, brought to you, and then cleaned up and packaged to take home.

The only time i think tipping is dumb is for the jar behind a counter where someone literally rings you up and expects a tip. Then when you put a dollar in the jar they dont even acknowledge. Even still i give $ because im not cheap and know what it means to have incentive

Users who are viewing this thread