? about ET Streets and broken half shafts

03DOHC

Established Member
It seems that every broken half shaft thread I've run across the car was running DR's or street tires. I don't seem to recall any threads about breaking half shafts running ET Streets. Is this because more people run DR's than ET Streets or is it because of the sidewall design of the ET Streets not shocking the driveline as badly?

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
Either way if your shocking the driveline with the halfshafts probability of breaking them increases. I think wheelhop weakens them alot and hard laucnhes finish them off.

I havent broken a halfshaft yet, and I leave slipping the clutch on DR's

maoun

Established Member
et streets are probably easier if anything....harder on the input shaft of the trans and on the clutch though

m.

03SilverBullet

Spray the house down!!
Established Member
I just got back from the track and I use et streets on a 99 v6 wheel and 26x11.5 tire. No wheel hop and dumping the clutch at about 5500 rpm. 1.62 sixty foots and [email protected] with the car lowered 1.5 inch. So far I have about 50 passes on the stock rear-end and clutch and transmission. No problems as of yet. I must be dodging the broken bullet.

maoun

Established Member
i'll be putting my 16 in e/t's on next week for the arizona fun ford weekend that i'm goin out to

but i'll have a trailer in case i break something!!!

m.

tommygun

Established Member
the side wall of the ET Street will absorb some of the 'hit' and there should be NO wheel hop.. I vote for ET Streets over a DR.. some DRs will still wheel hop and inturn break the shaft

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Dont forget the wheel most people put their ET streets on is smaller and lighter than a 17x9 wheel (or 17x10.5) wheel.

03silverbullet, I can NOT believe you still have your stock clutch, amazing. Do you do a burn out w/ the ET streets and if so do you use a linelock or the brakes?

KWladyka

Enjoying Life
Established Member
ET Streets definitely take the shock well. To me they felt like I was launching on a sponge because of the way they flatten out on launch. I got hop with the DR's.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by KWladyka
ET Streets definitely take the shock well. To me they felt like I was launching on a sponge because of the way they flatten out on launch. I got hop with the DR's.
How are they on the 1-2 powershift as compared to running DR's?

KWladyka

Enjoying Life
Established Member
Originally posted by 03DOHC
How are they on the 1-2 powershift as compared to running DR's?

That is where they really shine. After you get past the VHT, the ET Streets still grab completely during shifting and will continue to wrinkle to help absorb the shock.

I kept enough pressure in the tires to get some spin on launch but I don't think I had any spin during the shifts.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by KWladyka
That is where they really shine. After you get past the VHT, the ET Streets still grab completely during shifting and will continue to wrinkle to help absorb the shock.

I kept enough pressure in the tires to get some spin on launch but I don't think I had any spin during the shifts.
Thanks. Good stuff. :thumbsup:

Vrrooom

MACA Member #156
Established Member
Are you guys using ET Streets just so you don't spin off the line? I mean are you still launching easy and just using the added traction gained so you dont spin from that 1500 launch like you would on street tires? Just easing into it off the line and shift 1-2 easy to not break the halfshafts?

Or are you guys using ET Streets like ET Streets? IE- Dumping it at 5k and hanging on? I can't possibly imagine these halfshafts taking in that kind of shock and not snapping.

Edit: Also what kind of power are you guys putting out? Stock or just catback etc? All I have is a 2.80 upper pulley, so its not that fast, but it would still put more shock than a stock pulley.

Last edited:

KWladyka

Enjoying Life
Established Member
Originally posted by Vrrooom
Are you guys using ET Streets just so you don't spin off the line? I mean are you still launching easy and just using the added traction gained so you dont spin from that 1500 launch like you would on street tires? Just easing into it off the line and shift 1-2 easy to not break the halfshafts?

Edit: Also what kind of power are you guys putting out? Stock or just catback etc? All I have is a 2.80 upper pulley, so its not that fast, but it would still put more shock than a stock pulley.

I think it varies from person-to-person. My mods are a homemade CAI, 2.8, catback, chip and I launch at 3000-3100 RPM. Letting the clutch out reasonably quick but not a dump. I shift as hard and fast as I can but don't power-shift as a general rule.

I also don't have a trailer like Maoun and so I want to run well within what I think its capacities are so I can drive it home.

That's enough to get me 11 second runs at a 5,000 ft DA and enough to get kicked off the track. It’s good enough for me at this point. Sea level conversion for me show a 11.21 best. Some day, I’ll actaully take it to a sea level track (with a trailer) to test these conversions and if I’m close to a 10 second run I’ll push it a bit harder.

maoun

Established Member
with e/t streets you can drop from 5 or 5.5.....i drop the nitto DRs from 4,750 and got perfect grip :)

Users who are viewing this thread