ABS CARNAGE!!!! Please help.

MY DREAM

Established Member
So, my ABS light came on a while back, I checked all the sensor lines to make sure they were not damaged, cleaned the cogs and the sensor tips. All was good, so I took it to Ford and paid them to diagnose the problem. They plugged in to it with a computer and said the ABS module was bad as it would not communicate. Then they quoted me a little over $1,100. I told them thanks but no thanks. I went home and removed the air cleaner to get a better view of the ABS module. What I found was that the control module is held on the the hydraulic hub (not sure what it's called) with 6 screws, 2 on top, 2 in the middle and 2 on the bottom. The top 2, one was gone and the other was half way out. This left ~1/16" gap between the 2. I pulled the top remaining one out and put it back in with some lock tight, and replaced the missing screw with a new one and some lock tight also. Well ABS light went away for a day then back again. So I finally decided to take the module off and see if some dirt got inside and that was messing it up....this is what I found!

IMAG0291.jpg

IMAG0290.jpg

IMAG0283.jpg

So my question is, do the rods that purtrude from the hydraulic side move? Can it be salvaged? I know I need a new ABS module because it is destroyed! but what about the other part?

James

MY DREAM

Established Member
You know, funny thing. I bought this car brand new with 3 miled on it. I have never had the braking system worked on, matter of fact I have done 95% of all work to this car but when I removed the ABS module I noticed that of the3 bolts that hold the ABS bracket to the fram the bottom bolt was missing and the other 2 were all scuffed up and mangled from being RR. Same with the nuts holding the braket to the pump/module. I have never had this thing into any shop or dealer for brake related issues before. I Would'nt think they would have that kind of damage from a factory install.

James

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Did the vehicle every go behind closed doors when you took it to the dealership?

Speed Demon

Established Member
the electronic control unit is definitely done, as for the hydraulic control unit, I don't think I'd chance putting a new ecu on it. You can probably find a used complete unit and throw on there just make sure you flush the lines real good after install.

MY DREAM

Established Member
Did the vehicle every go behind closed doors when you took it to the dealership?

The only time it was behind closed doors at the stealership was when it was about a year old and I had the plastic vents on the hood replaced becuase the original kept poping out on onr corner. They did have it for about 5 hours only to tell me they ordered the wrong ones. Went back a second time and I was in and out in about 20 min.

Do you think they may have messed with it? Why?

Oh ya, that was at a ford dealership in Lubbock Texas.

James

MY DREAM

Established Member
the electronic control unit is definitely done, as for the hydraulic control unit, I don't think I'd chance putting a new ecu on it. You can probably find a used complete unit and throw on there just make sure you flush the lines real good after install.

I have been kicking that idea around, no sense in taking any chances. I have the Motive power bleeder, but I have heard of complication when trying to bleed the ABS system. Read something about needing the ABS hooked up to a machine while it is bleed to activate the ABS during bleeding.

I saw a few on Ebay that were off of low milage wrecked Cobra's for around $200-$400. I may try one of them from someone with good feedback.

James

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
The only time it was behind closed doors at the stealership was when it was about a year old and I had the plastic vents on the hood replaced becuase the original kept poping out on onr corner. They did have it for about 5 hours only to tell me they ordered the wrong ones. Went back a second time and I was in and out in about 20 min.

Do you think they may have messed with it? Why?

Oh ya, that was at a ford dealership in Lubbock Texas.

James

Hmmm, I think I'd need my tinfoil hat to suggest they tampered with your ABS module in that short of a timeframe for such an unrelated service.

I'd say find a salvage or used unit for a '03-'04 Cobra. You may check Tousley to price check. I don't know much about the ABS in particular, but there were some changes made to the brake bias (post '00 R I believe). Whether that means the ABS module is different, I do not know.

You are correct on the ABS bleed. It can be bled by tripping the ABS without the Ford machine, but that's extremely time consuming. Bleed, drive, trip ABS. Bleed, drive, trip ABS. Rinse, repeat.

Last edited:

MY DREAM

Established Member
Rinse, repeat. Rinse, repeat.....this is gonna suck. At least I live on a coldisac, I can trip the ABS, then turn arount and trip it again, pull into the gerage and bleed. Then....rinse and repeat.

Thanks

James

SlowSVT

Established Member
James

The electrical connector on your old ABS unit. Any chance you would be willing to sell that to me if you don't have any need for your old unit? I can stop buy and pick it up. I may have a use for it.

Send me a PM if the answer is yes

Thanx

Russ :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread