Accord, Fusion, Focus, etc??

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
My girls '98 Taurus just had the AC compressor go out (along with the serp belt & tensioner) so we're going to sell it and pick up something new or slightly used. Looks like you can pick up an Accord/Civic or Fusion/Focus with under 30k miles for around $15-17 (and sometimes brand new) around here.

Any idea's or comments from anyone who has either, knows anything about any of their problems, etc? I haven't been too happy with my Acura TL, but I know plenty of people with Accords, including my parents that have had nothing but good to say about them. My aunt has the Fusion Sport and seems to really like it. Anyways....what do you think is the better buy?

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
We love our '10 Milan Premier with the 3.0V6. Only issue was the throttle body needed to be replaced and the release valve for the capless fuel tank. Other than that, it runs and drives great. We get 23mpg mixed driving and 28-30mpg on the highway.

My vote would be Fusion/Milan, but you really can't go wrong with newer mid-size cars nowadays. I'd just go test drive a few and see what suits you best. If I was to buy brand new, the '14 Mazda 6 Grand Touring is at the top of my list followed by a Fusion Titanium.

Here's out Milan:

SAM_1700.jpg

SAM_1698.jpg

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
First gen Fusions are pretty much bulletproof cars, I'd suggest one to anyone in need of good, reliable transportation. :beer:

-Steve

thewizard

Established Member
My wife drives a 2010 Fusion Sport. She loves the car and the peppy 3.5 V6 isn't too bad. Great car but resale value sucks. I would choose the Accord on that alone.

SHOdown220

Established Member
I have a 12 focus and I love it. Only issue I've came across is I have a rattle in the dash every now and then that the dealer hasn't been able to find yet. Mine is a 5-speed, stay away from the auto. Ford put a new 6 speed dct in the mk3 focus and it's notorious for problems.

Honda civic and accords are both great cars. Civics get good fuel mileage and have very little issues, 08-12 4 cylinder accords have an oil consumption issue and a few updates that are on recall, otherwise also good cars.

JPD5801

Established Member
I have a 2008 Fusion SEL V6. Other than the A/C blower motor, I haven't done anything other than the factory scheduled maintenance. I bought it new, and I have a little over 87k on it now.

Honestly, I've recommended the Fusion to everyone who has asked (and some who haven't)!

I've never been one to focus on resale value because I keep my cars a long time!

Last edited:

Huff035

Established Member
I love my '11 Fusion SEL, Haven't had any issues with it thus far. And 29-30mpg hwy isnt bad for a big car with the get up and go since it has the v6. Also very comfortable!

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
We love our '10 Milan Premier with the 3.0V6. Only issue was the throttle body needed to be replaced and the release valve for the capless fuel tank. Other than that, it runs and drives great. We get 23mpg mixed driving and 28-30mpg on the highway.

My vote would be Fusion/Milan, but you really can't go wrong with newer mid-size cars nowadays. I'd just go test drive a few and see what suits you best. If I was to buy brand new, the '14 Mazda 6 Grand Touring is at the top of my list followed by a Fusion Titanium.

That Milan looks pretty close (exterior and interior wise) to the Fusion. Is the Milan the nicer Fusion or is it the opposite? Seems like car companies do that quite often lol. Make a car that is pretty much the same thing, but with slight differences.

accord...has a better reputation and will be more reliable. Then on top resale value will be better.

Accord. Low maintenance costs, reliable, and great resale value.

Yeah that's what I'm seeing also. The Fusion are cheaper with lower mileage ('10-'12) while the Accords are a little more for the same year/mileage. I think the accord interior looks a little nicer too if you ask me. Haven't gotten to see/feel/drive any of them yet though so I'll reserve that final judgement.

I saw somewhere on a forum that was saying that Ford's are now cheaper to repair than Honda's. Not sure if there's any truth to that, but just thought that was weird.

My wife drives a 2010 Fusion Sport. She loves the car and the peppy 3.5 V6 isn't too bad. Great car but resale value sucks. I would choose the Accord on that alone.

Thanks.

I have a 12 focus and I love it. Only issue I've came across is I have a rattle in the dash every now and then that the dealer hasn't been able to find yet. Mine is a 5-speed, stay away from the auto. Ford put a new 6 speed dct in the mk3 focus and it's notorious for problems.

Honda civic and accords are both great cars. Civics get good fuel mileage and have very little issues, 08-12 4 cylinder accords have an oil consumption issue and a few updates that are on recall, otherwise also good cars.

My only issues with the Focus, though this will be her car mainly, is that it looks a little small. The interior isn't too bad, but I guess I'll just have to go check them out. The Civic's in this new body style are a little better than that last model (not quite as boxy), but they look pretty small also. I'm assuming the Civic is to Focus and the Fusion/Milan is like the Accord.

We're expecting a little girl come late July, early August so I want to make sure we don't buy something that might be a little too small. She only drives 7-8 miles to work (city streets) so I thought about something like a small SUV (Kia Sorento, CRV, etc), but the mileage sucks and it's not like they're really that much larger. I like the fact she'll be up higher, which I think is a little safer, but SUV's seem to be a little more $ also.

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
Drive them and see which you/she likes better.

I'm another one that doesn't buy a car based on resale value, I buy a car because it's what I want.

I drive an SVT Focus, quirky, fussy, high strung little car and I'd never suggest one to anyone unless they were handy with a wrench but mine has been ultra-reliable and it's a blast to drive.

I'd also like to add that I'm also one of those "Buy American" people, like it or not.

-Steve

Last edited:

LaFlavor

Established Member
I drove an '10 Fusion sport for about 3 years. Actually a really good car. Decent power (more than my 2002 Mustang GT had). Was able to trade it in for a decent amount recently, too. Very nice interior. The battery went bad on me after about 2 years, but that was the only trouble I had with it.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I have a 2012 Focus Titanium with the new automatic in it. and Holy Hell let me list the problems I have has with it..

well that's the entire list.

OP I would get the focus. I love mine. I wouldn't worry about getting the Auto or Manual tho. get whichever one you want. It is true that when they first came out there were some issues with the auto. but they have since been worked out.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Resale on the Fusion sucks ballsack, and nobody really looking for them (limited market), so keep that in mind.

I should've done more research before I rush bought mine and now unless I have $2-4k to throw down at time of trade-in or private sell to make up for negative equity, Im in it for the long haul.

Otherwise its an excellent vehicle. I have 106k on my 2010 SE and not a single issue. It was fleet maintained prior to me (purchased at 65k) and it drives great. I get 28mpg with some pretty aggressive driving, could get more on a mpg reset with pure calm freeway cruising but aint nobody got time fo dat.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I have a 2012 Focus Titanium with the new automatic in it. and Holy Hell let me list the problems I have has with it..

well that's the entire list.

OP I would get the focus. I love mine. I wouldn't worry about getting the Auto or Manual tho. get whichever one you want. It is true that when they first came out there were some issues with the auto. but they have since been worked out.

My parents leased a '13 Focus with the 6spd auto and its at ford almost monthly trying to get them to fix the auto issues. Its a complete POS transmission. It doesn't know what gear it should be in, itll launch at 2nd then youll need to give it more gas and itll drop to 1st and make this hard knocking sound. When it launches in 1st like it should itll quick shift to 2nd like before you even get 2-3mph and then you hear this horrendous metallic clang sound from under the car.

It sucks because I tried to get them to believe Ford was better now, and they got this car with my recommendations and thus far its lived up to every poor expectation they've come to hear about Fords for the past decade or two. The only saving grace is that once it does get up to speed, its great freeway commuter for my father. I just cannot fathom why the auto 6spd in that sucks so much ballsack when my auto 6spd 6F35 has made me almost rethink my hatred for automatics because it always is in the right gear, shifts smooth yet firm when need be, never makes me feel like its hung up or not locking up, etc.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Fusion resale value sucks?

That's news to me

An 11 Accord EX was $23k MSRP new. Now with 30k miles can be bought for $17k

$6k depreciation

An 11 Fusion SE was $21k MSRP new. Now with 30k miles can be bought for $15k

$6k depreciation

Both are each company's second trim level and have similar equipment.

Doesn't seem that the sentiment that a fusion doesn't hold it's value is all that true.

Users who are viewing this thread