Add more timing?

Volatile

Destroyer of Alternators
Established Member
So my numbers were made with the mods in my sig and 17.5* timing on 93 oct. My tuner bumped it to 19* and the car made 470rwhp 484rwtq, but he backed it off, saying that 19* is "way too much" for a DD on pump gas. I see some of you guys running 20-21* on 93 octane.. how safe would it be to bump my timing up? Is it that risky on a DD car? I've been thinking about adding a 4lb lower and a port, and didn't know if I could up the timing while I'm at it.

Tractionless1

Established Member
I was at 23* timing on pumpgas with a safe 02, it can be done. Had it retuned and made more power at 18*. I have found throwing timing at it doesn't always = power with pumpgas. Your hp/tq. in your sig. is on target for your mods.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
With 93 octane 21-23* is fine, I run 23.5* on 93 octane on my car and have for a few years.

I was at 23* timing on pumpgas with a safe 02, it can be done. Had it retuned and made more power at 18*. I have found throwing timing at it doesn't always = power with pumpgas. Your hp/tq. in your sig. is on target for your mods.

You're the only person I've seen make more power with less timing?

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Being that low you should easily pick up power by adding some timing. If your tuner doesn't want to do it then find a new one.

Nutty 5.0

Established Member
I know Jon Lund likes timing low for safety. He had mine set with 18* and later asked him to bump it up and now at 19.5*. It did pick up 10rwhp. I know I could go more, but it feels great and if I get bad gas no worries.

02reaper

Established Member
Buy you a spark plug inspector, pull the plugs and read them. Detonation is not always audible. You would be surprised how many people are running around thinking they are fine with higher timing, but really aren't.

Tractionless1

Established Member
With 93 octane 21-23* is fine, I run 23.5* on 93 octane on my car and have for a few years.

You're the only person I've seen make more power with less timing?

Are you asking? Yes the original 23* map (515/556 SAE) was reworked and the new tuner started the timing low, it was gradually upped with no positive effect and ended with 519/566 SAE @ 18* with similiar atmospheric conditions. Yes it's just a little bump but still a bump and safer with 5* less timing.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Are you asking? Yes the original 23* map (515/556 SAE) was reworked and the new tuner started the timing low, it was gradually upped with no positive effect and ended with 519/566 SAE @ 18* with similiar atmospheric conditions. Yes it's just a little bump but still a bump and safer with 5* less timing.

I wasn't necessarily asking, just found it odd.

Users who are viewing this thread