Advice on how to approach selling in a hurry

ray77

roll tide roll
Established Member
So I'm new to the army and currently in the last few weeks of my ait. I'll have two weeks back home, then I report to a post in VA shortly after new years. With this short amount of time I'm unsure what to do with the cobra.

I believe I need to sell it. Right now I have a beater truck that I wouldn't trust to drive cross country and the cobra. The cobra would not be realistic to own in VA. It won't pass inspection and that clutch in dc traffic would be painful. I figure I should sell both and buy something better as a dd. I will have a pretty hefty commute every day

My problem lies in how to sell it in such a short amount of time without losing to much money. I'll give a quick spec list and the ideas i have.

Paid 16. Owe 5.6. 03 cobra, 86k, exhaust,18x9 up front 18x10.5 335's in rear. cai, 2.8 pulley, tune, idler pulley, reservoir, proly small other stuff in leaving out.

1. Carmax. Used to work there,buddies still do. With the car back to stock they said they could do 14.

2. See what a dealership would do as a trade in on another car. What kind of value do u think they will put out on it? Worth trying?

3. Take it to VA and hope that I could sell it quick. Ballpark fair asking price?

I can have the car back to stock whenever.

So I'm just kind of looking for advice. It sucks being away from my financial situation and sucks even more I have to sell it. How would you approach selling your cobra in under two weeks?

65fastback2+2

Established Member
sold mine in 5 days...but i gave it away to do so, whipple 2.3 car with tons of mods for $17,600

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
If you can find a Ford dealer with something on their lot that you want to trade your car towards I believe you have a chance to do better than carmax. From what I've heard Ford dealers love to take Terminators in on trade. I would start checking online inventory at Ford dealers online now.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Honestly, 14 from scam max might be the best bet. put it out there for more and see what happens. if not, take the 14 and move on.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
If your headed to Virginia maybe give High End Auto a call Robert and Anita are great people to deal with I bought my car from them they buy cars as well as have other vehicles besides terminators look them up. Thank you for your service by the way. :beer:

ray77

roll tide roll
Established Member
So 14 isn't a complete rape?

As much as I like fords, I was leaning toward a upper end euro. 335xi maybe. Only fords id want ay rwd and v8. Both rough options for dc traffic. But I'll research. Thanks for the advice.

I guess I'll post it up local and see if anything bites. List it for 16ish to start? My town has a awsome car scene with many cobras so I'm not to hopeful.

ctgreddy

Established Member
For a quick sale you can put it up for 16, if it wasn't for a quickie i'd try and start at 17,5 and go from there. the carmax offer isn't terrible. But knowing they're prolly gonna turn around and sell it for 16+ kinda sucks too. If I were you, I'd put it on craigslist in your areas and around your area now, try and line up some potential buyers for right when you get back. If they bite, then go find something else. if they back out, trade it in torwards something else.

And like blksvt said, thanks for your service ;)

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I would list for 17.5 High End also buys modded terminators as well if you have no luck locally or want to see if the would give anymore than carmax gl.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
You haven't described condition (paint, interior)?, I've seen some 86K's that look MINT and others that are CRAP from neglect...If nice shape $15-$16 no lower!

mrose75

Established Member
Where in VA you going? I'd say take it and sell it at your first duty station. A quick sale, you'll more than likely lose some of that income. And if you just joined, you're not making that much being enlisted. Take it, sell it, and do whatever you want with the cash.

ajt9229

Established Member
If your headed to Virginia maybe give High End Auto a call Robert and Anita are great people to deal with I bought my car from them they buy cars as well as have other vehicles besides terminators look them up. Thank you for your service by the way. :beer:

I'd Call these guys. Doesn't hurt to see what they'll say. They'll even come pick it up. Sometimes taking a little less is worth the quick sale and not dealing with the public.

HandBanana

Established Member
What is keeping the Cobra from passing inspection? NOVA is definitely tougher than the rest of the state but how do you know it won't pass?

ray77

roll tide roll
Established Member
1. I won't say its perfect condition. Paint has seen better days. I'm having the spoiler repainted right now. Interior is clean. Motor strong. 7/10?

2. Headed to fort Belvoir

3. Emailed high end. Talking to them now

4. I thought VA had a tough inspection. High end told me they don't have one. Poor research on my part. But with not cats I imagine it wouldn't pass much

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So you're going with High End? I hope they give you a good deal. They're good folks.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Im in VA and inspections aren't that tough. Why is it that you think you won't pass? I bet if you posted in the VA section "looking for a Cobra friendly inspection shop" someone in the area knows where you can go for the "hook up" ;)

ray77

roll tide roll
Established Member
I'm talking to top end right now. Nothing is set in stone though.

Its a off road x pipe and with maganflow CB. Tune is a lil on the rich side right now. Figured it'd fail, I've never been through a inspection before

THunterW

SGTSVT & SVTSGT
Established Member
I bought my '03 DSG vert from Robert and Anita at Hi-End Auto. Drove 6 hours there pulling a car trailer with my Lightning, and they stayed until 10:30 that night getting me squared away with everything and even threw in 4 new Nitto 555s for free. Real nice people, and they have tons of modded Terminators on their lot. Hopefully they can help you out if you still sell it. I'm stationed at Dover AFB, DE and am originally from Texas, and I haven't had my truck or car inspected in years since I left all my vehicles registered with my home state. Texas also doesn't test for emissions either, last time I checked. Good luck.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
I would personally stay away from dealers and Car Max. If I were you I would have a general power of attorney made up to someone real close to you (id suggest a family member) allowing them the ability to sell your car in your absence. That way you can sell the car and get exactly what you want out of it. I purchased my car from a Marine who left a power of attorney with his parents, the entire transaction went very smooth. If you think about all the money you waste on trading in vehicles to dealers it can make you sick to your stomach. Goodluck

Users who are viewing this thread