AFS 17x9 17x10.5 chromes with Nitto 555's (3 pics)

OverToad

Established Member
I keep seeing new posts that wonder if this is workable or not. I'm posting this so that you can hear it from first hand experience, even though I'm sure this is mirrored in the archives somewhere.

The pics are poor. For whatever reason, the Cobra chromes don't show up in pics nearly as well as they do in person. For this reason I didn't spend any effort to make "show" pics. They are more to show what the tires do to the car.

DiscountTire swore up and down that the 315's wouldn't fit on my car. They kept telling me the bolt is in the way of mounting the tires. There were four of them working on my car at one time. I kept explaining to them that the bolt will hit the tire if the suspension is NOT under any load. Just lower the car down off the lift, and tighten the bolts under load. They would not attempt to do it, and refused at one point to mount the tires. Finally, I had to literally do it myself to get them to understand it would work. :nonono: When I got one wheel on, I made all four of'em get under the car and look. "Oh, I guess that would make sense." :rolleyes:
The IRS bolt has plenty of room to move under load. I'm going to a local guy in the next couple of days to shave down the IRS bolt. Thanks to Undy for offering this tip.

Again, pics are poor, so don't judge the chromes based on these pics. If you want to see a nice redfire picture with chromes, there's an AWESOME pic of one up in Canada, clean as all getout, surrounded by snow. Look to that pic if you want to see what they look like in person (My apologies to the owner, as I've forgotten your name at the moment)

I can't give an honest description of how it rides yet, since the monkey's at the shop decided it'd be a good idea to adjust my anti-hop shocks all the way down to their softest levels to attempt to get the IRS under load :bash:

Last edited:

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Looks very nice!! congrats!!! Love those stainless steel bumper letters too! Gotta get me some. Looks like those nittos fit those rims perfectly. They don't bulge or anything! cudos!

OverToad

Established Member
Love those stainless steel bumper letters too!

What an odd pic, eh? Those are actually just the black/reflective letters. Something like $25 at autothing.com I guess I'd left the flash on, and it reflected the letters. :shrug:

The Nitto's fit very very well on those rims. I know BFG's are a little wider, but I'd imagine they'd fit just as well. EDIT: They'd fit the RIM just as well. I don't think I'd attempt to put any wider tire on there than the Nitto's, unless I had some kinda spacers.

Last edited:

OverToad

Established Member
Here's a few more pics. I was hoping they'd turn out better, to compare and contrast the chromes versus the paint.
But more importantly, here's a pic of the bolt compared to where the tire is from underneath. I couldn't work a camera much further up into there, but it came out just fine.

OverToad

Established Member
If I had been smart, I would have taken a pic of the bolt rubbing the tire while at the shop. However, I was more concerned with teaching the monkey's how to mount a tire :dw:

IMHO, I think if you get a grinder and shave down the head of the bolt, you'll get enough room to fully clear nitto 315's, even under zero load.
I'll be hooking up with a guy to do the job this weekend, at which time I'll come back and give a progress report.

Users who are viewing this thread