Alcoas->Rear tires not even=adjustable Panhard

acroholic

Established Member
Guys, I just put on the Alcoas I got, and noticed my driver side rear Michelin Super Sport is sticking out a bit further than my passenger rear by maybe 1/3"- 1/2". I put 295/35/20s on the rear 10" Alcoas. I know this has happened many times to others, so I have ordered a BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar. Decided to get the Panhard support bracket as well, since I'll have the rear on jack stands and will be under it anyways.

Hopefully BMR is a good brand. Anyone got experience with this one? And is the car OK to drive until I get this installed?

acroholic

Established Member
Did you lower the car?

No, just swapped out the stock 9.5" rears wheels for 10" Wide Alcoas with 295 Michelins. All else is stock, but this happens sometimes when you put wider wheels/tires on the rear.

It was quite pronounced right after the new wheels/tires were installed, but had evened up a good bit after I drove it home. It is not very noticeable, but I see it as the car owner. I'd like to even it up a bit more, and any handling improvement is a bonus.

CIMG5207_zpsee54d5e6.gif

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
I have heard of the rear end shifting when lowering springs were installed, but this is the first time I have heard about an unmolested stock car having this problem after a wheel change. I can't see how that would be possible.

pldva01

Established Member
Acroholic, my 100% stock car's rear end is about 1/3 of an inch more flush on the drivers side. My car is also black and with the PP wheels its harder to notice. With the 285 Goodyears my driver side is almost flush with the fender while the passenger side is inset about 1/3 of an inch. I have read that Ford designed it this way so that as the suspension compresses the axle moves towards the passenger side.

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
Every mustang that leaves the factory is off by about 3/8" inch. It doesn't really become noticible until you put Alcoa's or other wider wheels on. I thing the solution (from the factory) would be about 1/4" shorter panhard bar.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
MM said:
Ford designed their Panhard Rod length so that the axle would be centered under the car at full bump. This will maximize tire clearance inside the fenderwell at full bump. This means that the axle is not centered under the car at ride height.
From here.

C0bra99

Established Member
I have the same issue and my car has 176 KM. My dealer says they will take alook when I take it in.

P1010902_zps989d272b.gif

P1010900_zps8337ef9a.gif

R1Lello

Established Member
^^^

Ya, those red pics above sticking out 1 inch on one side and 1/2" on the other, centre the rear and all fixed right?? NO.........both sides will stick out 3/4".

Now, I'm assuming the red car has Alcoa's.........as stockers wouldn't stick out like that. Good 'ol Alcoa's......too bad they never got the backspace right on those wheels.
Wait until you lower it, make a friend at a bodyshop.

Last edited:

TORQJNKY

^^^

Ya, those red pics above sticking out 1 inch on one side and 1/2" on the other, centre the rear and all fixed right?? NO.........both sides will stick out 3/4".

Now, I'm assuming the red car has Alcoa's.........as stockers wouldn't stick out like that. Good 'ol Alcoa's......too bad they never got the backspace right on those wheels.
Wait until you lower it, make a friend at a bodyshop.

They don`t stick out 3/4" on each side. My Alcoas are centered and the rim edge is fender flush. I have 1/4" tire bulge so that's all that sticks out. And my car is lowered.

Last edited:

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
They don`t stick out 3/4" on each side. My Alcoas are centered and the rim edge is finder flush. I have 1/4" tire bulge so that's all that sticks out. And my car is lowered.

This ^^^^^^^

R1Lello is still jealous of the Alcoa's so he has to bad talk them!

acroholic

Established Member
I have the same issue and my car has 176 KM. My dealer says they will take alook when I take it in.

P1010902_zps989d272b.gif

P1010900_zps8337ef9a.gif

Mine looks exactly the same as yours. Probably exaggerated in my case with the 295s on the Alcoas.

I looked at the Whiteline Panhard Bar and Panhard Bar support Brace because they don't need any lubrication, whereas the BMR needs lubed. Thing I do like about the BMR unit is it comes in a black finish, which will blend it in with the stock stuff. The Whiteline units are silver.

Snoopy49

Established Member
I think Tob's link goes a long way to explaining the situation. It looks like Ford had a legitimate reason for offsetting the axle. Iceman has a good point about the Alcoa's highlighting the condition.
So now the question is, should we center the axle when the car sitting on the ground with weight on wheels or maintain the offset that Ford built in at the factory.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Geez the amount of hate some people have is ridiculous.....

anyway OP, I have the BMR adj panhard, it is a very nice piece, centered my rear up perfectly especially when I lowered it. I have the 20x10 alcoas on the rear sitting on 295nitto invos.....sits absolutely perfect and rides well regardless of what others say who dont even own one.

TORQJNKY

I think Tob's link goes a long way to explaining the situation. It looks like Ford had a legitimate reason for offsetting the axle. Iceman has a good point about the Alcoa's highlighting the condition.
So now the question is, should we center the axle when the car sitting on the ground with weight on wheels or maintain the offset that Ford built in at the factory.

The only time you would have to worry about "Full Bump" is if the rear suspension gets fully compressed into the bump stops. You would have to hit a pretty hard dip or get all four tires off the ground and land pretty hard to do so. The bump stop bracket is wider than the offset of the rear. So if you center the rear and still fully compress the rear suspension, the bump stop bumpers will still contact the bracket like it should, unless you cut the bracket off for some reason. Some have.

Maximum motorsports provides you with a procedure to center the rear axle. Why would one of the most noted aftermarket suspension companies on the market suggest that if it would cause problems.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread