almost lost the cobra today

tigerwoods

Established Member
I was sitting at the stop light. Thank GOD I was first in line. I was looking in my rearview mirror and saw a car coming up from behind fast. She started to skid and waving her hands. So i dropped it in 2nd and took off, I was just waiting for the impact as I saw her getting closer, it was slick out but somehow I got traction and she missed me by a foot if not less. I was shaking for about an hour afterwards. I might be getting ready to sell soon and this would really put a damper on that. Good thing I just put some new tires on.

xenodragon

Established Member
I am always paranoid when sitting at a light, I am always staring in the rear view to see what idiots are paying attention. I ususally leave like 2-3 cars in front of me too, just in case

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
I am always paranoid when sitting at a light, I am always staring in the rear view to see what idiots are paying attention. I ususally leave like 2-3 cars in front of me too, just in case

That is what I do. I always leave room between me and the car in front of me too. I also never drive in traffic. I either go ahead, or sit back and let the idiots speed and switch lanes to get to the next red light. I always pay attention to the rear view.

Too many people texting these days, vs. talking on the cell phones to not pay attention. They are disrespectful f*c*s.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
I got hit one time like that in my 1983 Trans Am Daytona Pace Car. Girl was racing her boyfriend (who by the way was a WV State Trooper and driving a patrol car) and came up on me sitting on a 2 lane road with a guy in front of me turning off to the left. She slid 164 feet before she put the rear bumper, frame and so on in the back seat. The officer got out and put her in his car and called her mother and then came and checked on me. He told me to sit still. He called an ambulance for her but nothing for me. Doctor said if I had not been reaching for my A/C knob it would have snapped my neck and killed me. So now I am VERY paranoid when stopped in the roadway anywhere or for any reason. To many idiots just want to get where they are going fast and don't watch or care whats in front of them. Especially with so many druggies.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I got hit one time like that in my 1983 Trans Am Daytona Pace Car. Girl was racing her boyfriend (who by the way was a WV State Trooper and driving a patrol car) and came up on me sitting on a 2 lane road with a guy in front of me turning off to the left. She slid 164 feet before she put the rear bumper, frame and so on in the back seat. The officer got out and put her in his car and called her mother and then came and checked on me. He told me to sit still. He called an ambulance for her but nothing for me. Doctor said if I had not been reaching for my A/C knob it would have snapped my neck and killed me. So now I am VERY paranoid when stopped in the roadway anywhere or for any reason. To many idiots just want to get where they are going fast and don't watch or care whats in front of them. Especially with so many druggies.

Crazy story

coild

Established Member
tigerwoods - I admire your quick thinking to drop it into second gear and take off. If you tried to in first, since it was a wet/slick road as you described, it would have either spun or did nothing if T/C were on, and you surely would have been hit. I think we can all learn something from your experience.
Good job in avoiding disaster.

Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
tigerwoods - I admire your quick thinking to drop it into second gear and take off. If you tried to in first, since it was a wet/slick road as you described, it would have either spun or did nothing if T/C were on, and you surely would have been hit. I think we can all learn something from your experiance.
Good job in avoiding disaster.

sSig_agreed1.gif

I`m always concerned about someone hitting me.

Jefe

Established Member
Holy crap. I need to start checking my mirrors more at lights! Thanks for the heads up

tigerwoods

Established Member
I usually keep it in the garage and drive my work truck, but i just felt like taking it out. man i hate thinking about what could have happend. pay attention boys

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

I always try to leave some space between me and the car in front at a when when the conditions are less than ideal (like slippery/wet road surface). You never know.

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Nice save...your Cobra lives to see another day!!!

That reminds me of back in NYC when I was sitting at a light. Some a-hole crashed into the back of my LX 5.0, he backs up and starts to take off. I jump out to get a good look at his plate and write down the digits. He leaves. I reset the fuel pump and pull over to the side of the road to asess the damage. He returns and tells me not to report him or the accident because my insurance would go up.

I laugh and drive straight to the local police dept., fill out an accident report and call my insurance...got my bumper, lights and exhaust replaced(upgraded to AT FMs BTW) on his insurance's dime. Luckily there wasn't any frame damage to my LX...just had to pull the bumper supports back out.

I'm always afraid to stop at lights when people are traveling too close behind. One thing I've noticed is when you have a car that can stop quickly, becareful for the tools following close behind...chances are they don't have the same braking capabilities. I know of 2 friends with EVO's that stopped quickly for lights and the people behind them had no chance of stopping. I'm always watching my rearview and keep that in mind when stopping. I don't run red lights but if it's yellow...the Cobra is making it through!!!

:beer:

Later...Dave

Users who are viewing this thread