Alternator!!!!!!

bossnova3

Established Member
If this works I'll have a brand new 130 amp pa performance alternator for sale for immediate shipping I'll keep this updated...

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
Ok will do, will try to take pics and post the process for other members.

When you get the rectifier bridge out. You'll see why they call it a bridge. Look under the bridge and you can see the blown diodes. The wire pins burn off because of the solder connections. The new bridge the diodes are welded in. Curing the problem. A alternator with a few blown diodes can cause all kinds of electrical problems. One sure sign you have a blown diode is. Lights blinking. The diodes are what turns AC into DC current. AC current doesn't play well with 12 DC devices.

rdsnk46

Established Member
Boss, maybe you can do a how to thread and we can take the links and add this in the how to section.

Anytime Jon tuned my car he always commentred on how low my voltage was during the data logging, he commanded more voltage through the tune.

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
Boss, maybe you can do a how to thread and we can take the links and add this in the how to section.

Anytime Jon tuned my car he always commentred on how low my voltage was during the data logging, he commanded more voltage through the tune.

Jon and I had the same problem with my car. I had two blown diodes. Took some time testing to get all the bugs out of my car. Learned a lot in the process. This is just one problem i found. I'll post some more later. Car can be a handful sometimes. It has a few built-in problems. Once you get-em fixed it's one hell of a ride. Next one i build I'll get some pics and do a how to.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Its very easy repair. Remove the bolts on the back of the alternator. Also nut on + post. Once its apart you'll need to disconnect the rectifier plate. It has 5wire connections. They are solder on. Just need a good soldering iron. Heat the connection and pull them lose as you heat the connection. Solder in your new plate. You will need to pin the brush's. Then pull the pins once its back together. This is a large case alternator. You'll need some electronic solder. You will have to tap the rear case apart. Its tight, just be patient. Small hammer and punch works fine.

Do they sell an alternator with those upgrades already done?

bossnova3

Established Member
Yes as soon as I start taking everything out of the car, and start dissambling the alternator I'll take pics and try my best to post and do a writeup of the dissambling/assembling and changing of the guts of the alternator.

Ed

bossnova3

Established Member
Hey evasive pa performance does sell the alternators already with this upgrades, but they're around 275 versus 136 to do it yourself

Ed

bossnova3

Established Member
Ok quick update I've taken out the alternator off the car, upon initial inspection the part that went bad on mine was the voltage regulator. One of the brushes got stock in the inside position and wasn't making contact with the rotor slip ring. Here's a link to the part that went bad on mine:F601HD Heavy Duty Voltage Regulator Brush Holder Assembly for 6G Series Alternators
Hopefully this thread helps somebody diagnose the issue before doing like me and go out spending money on new alternators and unnecessary parts. Note to self first diagnose the issue and then order the necessary items.
I'll keep you guys updated, either way I'll upgrade my alternator with the new parts because I don't want to be stranded for something I can take care of now rather than later. I'm also upgrading the output from 110 to 135amp thanks to the links provided earlier.

Ed

Last edited:

Federico Garza

Established Member
Thanks for the thread guys, my alternator took a dump, diode plate was shot, but ordered all the parts for the full rebuild + billetshops pulley.

On initial start up I got the charging system indicator light on again, then the abs light, went and cleaned the battery terminals with baking soda , and no more charging system light.

And for sure, damm alternator removal is a chore, good time to replace the sway bar bushings with some poly ones...

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I had heard pa alts were also having issues. Has anyone actually found a company making good quality alts for these cars?

VNMOUS1

Established Member
I had heard pa alts were also having issues. Has anyone actually found a company making good quality alts for these cars?

I have a PA as do some of my friends.

Let me guess where you heard there were problems.

Not saying anything is perfect, and we don't sell them, so I have no skin in the game. But, when you find a "chicken little" story about a part, you can trace the source very easily. And, miraculously, the source just so happens to sell a "cure".

Caveat emptor.

Bj

70SCJ

(Ret) USMC F/A-18 Driver
Established Member

Not saying anything is perfect, and we don't sell them, so I have no skin in the game. But, when you find a "chicken little" story about a part, you can trace the source very easily. And, miraculously, the source just so happens to sell a "cure".

Caveat emptor.

Bj
I've burnt up a stocker and a PA alternator. I don't think the PA had a problem, I had some sort of short in my system after the motor was replaced.
I did replace the PA with a big Denzo unit a couple of years ago and have had no other problems.

que4dog

Established Member

Caveat emptor.

Bj

This tip can be very helpful in your decision process...just know that this is good information.

Cuda426

Established Member
Excellent info in this thread, just what I've been looking for. I ordered the HD Bridge Rectifier and a new 135 amp Stator today from the link provided. My alternator has not failed yet but I'm going rebuild mine with these parts so I don't have a problem in the future. $136.00 shipped.

Users who are viewing this thread