Aluminator FAILURE

jumperjack

Established Member
Update

Well I consider myself more fortunate then most here. I had the same problem but I bought my motor from Bill at CJPonyparts and had it installed there. Bill the service manager and CJ's went above and beyond the call of duty for me. First was to get me a brand new motor off the assembly line that was put together the correct way. Next they took out the bad motor and reinstalled the new motor at absolutely no cost to me. Here is the startup video of the new motor. Going to the dyno tomorrow at 1:00 p.m. and will video that.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9fmJPICeJc"]YouTube - Jack's 2.6 H KB Cobra[/ame]

pwrdbypsi

Established Member
well got the car tuned today and made 502 hp and i havent done the fix and am not doing no fix,if FRPP sends me an apointment to go to a ford dealer to have one of their techs from FRPP do the fix then i would do it , if not it better last more than one year.

WOW 502rwhp. Wheres the dyno sheet? I would like to see how the graph looks,so post up buddy.

sighwest

Established Member
Well I consider myself more fortunate then most here. I had the same problem but I bought my motor from Bill at CJPonyparts and had it installed there. Bill the service manager and CJ's went above and beyond the call of duty for me. First was to get me a brand new motor off the assembly line that was put together the correct way. Next they took out the bad motor and reinstalled the new motor at absolutely no cost to me. Here is the startup video of the new motor. Going to the dyno tomorrow at 1:00 p.m. and will video that.
YouTube - Jack's 2.6 H KB Cobra

You not going to put any break-in miles on the car before the dyno? My builder is giving me a start-up tune and wants me to put 500 miles on it.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
You not going to put any break-in miles on the car before the dyno? My builder is giving me a start-up tune and wants me to put 500 miles on it.

500 miles for me too whenever frpp finally quits jacking around. hopefully they are answering their phones in the morning so I can find out what this "goodwill credit" is all about.

I spoke with Steve at Tousley and he was totally confused as to how they would do that and said he would do whatever he could to help me.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
FRPP is going to credit Tousley Ford $750 so they can give me that as a refund on the motor. Just gotta talk to my mechanic and see if he can help me out on his cost/time to do the repair. Yeah I'm going to have to eat the cost of the arp hardware but that is a small price to pay to make sure everything is put back together right.

VIDS COMING SOON!

jumperjack

Established Member
Aluminator Dyno vid

I don't have a scanner at home that works but will post up the graphs when I get back to work this week. Car only made 11lbs. of boost today with the 4" pulley tuner said I need to put a smaller pulley on NOW. That I am barely making the blower breathe with that pulley. Also had to change the plugs after a couple pulls it had platinum plugs in it and didn't run for shit. Switched out the plugs and picked up 90 hp.
Temperature 86.35 Degrees
Humidity 29%
timing 19 degrees
Air Fuel 11.4 thru out
Max HP 496.66
Torque 431.58
Tuner was Dave at SGS in Dillsburg PA
Dave was going to put on a 3.25 pulley but I have a 3.5 at home which should get me to around 16-17lbs and in the 600 range so I am going to wait until next week to go back. I had to shoot the vid with my digital camera because I couldn't find the charger for my video camera this morning.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KORR5s1fA8s"]YouTube - Jack's 2.6H KB Cobra Dyno[/ame]

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
I warned a friend of mine about this problem and after 2000 miles they found out his engine has the same problem. He has taken it too 2 mechanics to get a slight oil leak fixed. The second mechanic was able to find out the problem only after he r and r the oil pan.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
I warned a friend of mine about this problem and after 2000 miles they found out his engine has the same problem. He has taken it too 2 mechanics to get a slight oil leak fixed. The second mechanic was able to find out the problem only after he r and r the oil pan.

I would have him jump on the bandwagon and contact FRPP. The warranty states that it is a parts only warranty but considering it was a defected motor that frpp sent out and they are now very aware of it they should be more than willing to atleast half a$$ make things right. It will take a small army worth of phone calls and emails but in time something should be done.

DoomsDay

Slayer of Gods...
Established Member

I want to know more about the wheel and tire package on your car and more pics please, you can just pm me links if you dont wanna post them here

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
I thought you where going to try and send that sucker back. Either way, after this I refuse to buy anything from Ford Racing. All aftermarket for me, what a joke, and thanks for the heads up. Hopefully others will listen too.

Oxford Snake

Established Member
ttt any more updates? I finally pulled my balancer off this w/e and found that it has been rubbing, will be calling FRPP tomorrow.

forcefedcobra

Established Member
I fixed mine with all new arp hardware in the bottom end and it has been a beast ever since. I was lucky and found the issue before putting the motor in and thank the good lord for that!

FRPP finally sent Tousley ford a $750 credit that tousley in turn refunded me. the 750 didnt come close to covering what their F up actually cost me but it was better than nothing.

FRPP says they fixed the issue on all new motors being made. Having said that I would still avoid buying a shortblock or longblock from them knowing what I know now! Their customer service was the biggest joke I have ever had to deal with. Anyone interested in this motor in the future would be better off buying the bare block and either build it themselves or have modular performance tackle the job so it is done right the first time. I wish I would have went that route because I could have used that extra few thousand to have some other mods done.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
For the money and what you get, I recommend going my way if you want an aluminator. Pull your crank, and rods, order an aluminum block from Tousley, then send them to Modular Performance and have him build you a short block, or long block if you send the heads as I did. Only the best parts will be used, and you can have him throw in some Diamond pistons and still come out saving a lot of money over the cost of a Aluminator long block.

ForcefedCobra & Hissman...Modular Performance is this good? I love the prices on their shortblocks and I always plan for a rainy day considering I beat on this car like I have another one laying around.

Last edited:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
They seem pretty solid. John is also pretty easy to get a hold of, and he returns calls and E-mails pretty quick as well. He also lays out all of your options clearly, which I liked.

-Jeff

I fixed mine with all new arp hardware in the bottom end and it has been a beast ever since. I was lucky and found the issue before putting the motor in and thank the good lord for that!

FRPP finally sent Tousley ford a $750 credit that tousley in turn refunded me. the 750 didnt come close to covering what their F up actually cost me but it was better than nothing.

FRPP says they fixed the issue on all new motors being made. Having said that I would still avoid buying a shortblock or longblock from them knowing what I know now! Their customer service was the biggest joke I have ever had to deal with. Anyone interested in this motor in the future would be better off buying the bare block and either build it themselves or have modular performance tackle the job so it is done right the first time. I wish I would have went that route because I could have used that extra few thousand to have some other mods done.

I really hope they are being honest when they say they fixed the problem. So what was the fix with the crankshaft dampner? A stocker from the 03/04?

jumperjack

Established Member
I really hope they are being honest when they say they fixed the problem. So what was the fix with the crankshaft dampner? A stocker from the 03/04?
The engines in production now are assembled correctly. When I sent mine back it was replaced with one off of the production line that was assembled the correct way. I would not accept the fix so I had to wait a bit longer but got a new one off the line that was put together as it should be.

Oxford Snake

Established Member

The damper on the Aluminator is the same as an 03-04 unit. The problem is the crank is set too far back in the crank. The fix requires loosening the main cap(s) and sliding the crank forward or something to the effect.

SlowSVT

Established Member
The damper on the Aluminator is the same as an 03-04 unit. The problem is the crank is set too far back in the crank. The fix requires loosening the main cap(s) and sliding the crank forward or something to the effect.

Maybe I am missing something here. The crank thrust measurement should be around .010" or so which allows the crank can freely slide forward and backward in the block. How would loosening the main caps provide more clearance for the damper?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I went over this with John just to be sure that it wasn't a block issue, and indeed it is as has stated. The crank was set up wrong in the early aluminator production sequence. It is a simple fix on the assemblers part, and all of the Aluminators coming off of the line now should be good. IMO, I would still go with a reputable shop like Modular Performance.

-Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread