Always make sure your boosted couplers are tight!

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
This happened when we were dynoing the race tune on high boost, which is 29#'s. Scared the shit out of me for sure, as we were cramming to be ready for the KOTS event. You can see the copious amounts of meth blow out too! haha It did put down 985hp on the next pull. Needless to say I keep an eye on those couplers regularly now.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b7WQONEfnY"]YouTube - Intake tube blow off[/nomedia]

deadpres

everyday is caturday
Established Member
Dyno operator acted like nothing happened? Under that much boost I would have skipped a beat

Jad G

Broke but fast
Established Member
Are you using spring loaded t-bolt clamps? Damn that was loud. I'm thinking of trying that accufab clamp that clamps the tube to the throttle body for my white car. I should be around similar boost pressures and I don't want that to happen. Sick ass car man

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
Are you using spring loaded t-bolt clamps? Damn that was loud. I'm thinking of trying that accufab clamp that clamps the tube to the throttle body for my white car. I should be around similar boost pressures and I don't want that to happen. Sick ass car man

Thanks, yes, they are spring loaded. It did make a ton of pulls that day.

crazycarlo

Established Member
awesome about the clamps sorry about the intake pipe....could have been worse. I actually have a problem with the coupler blowing off my blower discharge side.....aside from the loud blowing noise i have to endure ont he way home then i have to endure the hot temos when i try to put it back on :(

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
I know it's kind of a common problem having a coupler pop off under high boost, I just thought it was cool we caught it on HD video.

kuruma

Established Member
That used to happen to me all the time in my old supra. IC hose just kept popping off, so damn annoying, pull over tighten clamps then off ya go.

2bscrewed

Full Retard
Established Member
That used to happen to me all the time in my old supra. IC hose just kept popping off, so damn annoying, pull over tighten clamps then off ya go.

Knock on wood, but this is the only time it's ever happened on my car. That tube was on and off the car so many times that week, it was probably just not put on perfect before the dyno session.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Worse when you are doing a 30psi boost leak test and the leak tester pops off the turbo inlet while your face is 2' away trying to figure out any boost leaks.......and the leak tester shoots off down the street in the direction your face used to be at a mere 2-3 seconds earlier.

much worse when its dead quiet save for the slight hiss of air being fed into your intake tract and you are dead focused on finding leaks and BOOM.

I remember the days of popping couplers on the freeway top of 3rd and 4th gear and thinking something catastrophic. Sad when you get to the point of happening so much where youre just "Ahh ****, there goes another fernco coupler......really need to swap that one out to a silicon with some tbolt clamps and enlarge the beads"

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'd never actually seen that on a video. Surely if that was my car my heart would have skipped more than a couple of beats. Wow!

Phiber Optik

Established Member
My truck used to do that when going up mountain grades at 40psi+, and it also happened after i dropped in the hybrid injectors, first test drive on the street below 1/2 throttle and it went POP! - damn its loud!

couple things that help - hairspray on the coupler and the tube, welding a thicker bead on the ends of the coupled tubes, building a tie-bar to bolt the tubes together which takes a lot of stress off the silicone coupling

DDogsrt461BLK

Video God
Established Member
My truck used to do that when going up mountain grades at 40psi+, and it also happened after i dropped in the hybrid injectors, first test drive on the street below 1/2 throttle and it went POP! - damn its loud!

couple things that help - hairspray on the coupler and the tube, welding a thicker bead on the ends of the coupled tubes, building a tie-bar to bolt the tubes together which takes a lot of stress off the silicone coupling

+1

I use spring loaded T bolts. I got them from a heavy duty truck store. The spring holds proper tension when the car is heat cycled. From -20 to 105, they will keep you covered. :) :pop:

Users who are viewing this thread