Am i getting ripped off for my porting job?

1stanguy

always lookin for a race
Established Member
How much should a full blower port and tune cost with supporting mods? My local shop does in house porting and that's only $700, that's cool but they're saying i also need a lower crank pulley set up, a boost a pump, a larger alternator pulley and some other fuel table thing. All that plus tuning after tax will cost me $3500. Is this normal? Thanks guys, i appreciate any help.

kingcobra8541

The Dude
Established Member
I would buy:
Posi ported blower inlet and TB (his results are proven)
do the swap your self
buy a MAFIA used or new,KB boost a pump and 60# injectors<<<<if you are running an upper only you might not need the 60's but they are good insurance
Get a tune. Custom tuning alone can cost up to $500.

If you want to run more than 14 pounds then the supporting mods and a lower pulley is needed price depends on what they were giving you... Use the search and check out the classifieds and you will find all of your answers.

Grimster

Established Member
depends...how much are they charging for labor? What are your current mods? Some other fuel table thing.....Diablo MAFia? Are they doing anything else or just installing mods / doing the port / tuning ? No oil change or fuel filter change while you are there..etc..

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Also do you have a handheld tuner already or are they including that also? That alone can run another $400 for the handheld minus the custom tune.

Did you give them a specific HP goal you were shooting for? Because the lower pulley and therefore alt pulley are not mandatory unless you are wanting to reach a certain level. I was a touch over 510 rwhp with a port, 2.76 upper, aux. idler pulley, SCT 2400 MAF and a custom tune on the stock fuel system with no issues. Most reliable set-up I've had.

My car was a bit of a freak though because I put down 406 rwhp thru an auto on a 100% bonestock engine with no tune and just a K&N drop in filter.

Last edited:

1stanguy

always lookin for a race
Established Member
depends...how much are they charging for labor? What are your current mods? Some other fuel table thing.....Diablo MAFia? Are they doing anything else or just installing mods / doing the port / tuning ? No oil change or fuel filter change while you are there..etc..

The tuning charge is $350, i think they're labor rate is $85hr. I already have a SCT chip, a 2.8 blower pulley, JLT CAI, and a Flowmaster catback. All they're doing is taking off my blower, porting it with the throttle body and plenum, reinstalling it and installing the Metco crank pulley system, the alternator pulley, the MAFIA and KB boost a pump. Nothing else.....that they mentioned lol.

Last edited:

kingcobra8541

The Dude
Established Member
Do the blower swap yourself it is pretty easy and there is a very good how to thread on here. I had never touched a mod motor and I was able to do it in 4 hours with a friend...

Quagmire

Established Member
Have steg or posi port your blower, and install sct bap and injectors yourself you can install lower pulley kit and alt at same time too but not needed in some apps. Maybe a day in labor.

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
The tuning charge is $350, i think they're labor rate is $85hr. I already have a SCT chip, a 2.8 blower pulley, JLT CAI, and a Flowmaster catback. All they're doing is taking off my blower, porting it with the throttle body and plenum, reinstalling it and installing the Metco crank pulley system, the alternator pulley, the MAFIA and KB boost a pump. Nothing else.....that they mentioned lol.

Then $3500 is an absolute ripoff. Find another shop first and then do most of the basic labor yourself.

crazycarlo

Established Member
well their price depends, I mean Thats a good bit of money, but regardless of the price were just saying do it yourself and it wont be that much or seem like a ripoff, atleast not so much. And like mentioned as before get posi or someone to do your blower. Almost the same prices and theirs are proven.

CobraVenom01

Established Member
Premium Member
what a ****ing ripoff. you can get a twin screw and supporting mods for that much and do the work yourself...insane....

Spoolx

Established Member
Port = 700
Alternator Pulley = 55
Lower Pulley = 410
BAP = 250
Mafia = 175
Tune = 350

Thats almost 2000 in parts, nevermind tax and labor.. it sounds high but what do you expect when you pay someone to do something, I agree you should do it yourself.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Save money and go twinscrew. That's just what I'd do, 3500 would pretty much get me 2.9 whipple.

black 10th vert

Established Member
what a ****ing ripoff. you can get a twin screw and supporting mods for that much and do the work yourself...insane....

you can buy a whipple for that money....lol

Sure he may be able to buy a Whipple for that money, but certainly not supporting mods. He also may not have the tools, time, or place to do this type of work. I think a lot of assumptions are being made here. $3500 will definitely buy a brand new 2.3 Whipple, and almost a 2.9, but he would need at least another $1500 - $2000 just in supporting mods, as well as labor costs if he can't do the job himself.

cobracide

Established Member
So what kind of porting rep does this place have? Get a posi port. Regardless, posi can port it for less - plus it is proven as stated. The bap can do fine for fuel. Pre-fpdm. Check the fuel system sticky for more and possibly better options for your goals. I spent a ton on my Eaton setup but not everyone wants or even needs a TS. Build the fuel system first. Check your maf counts or just get a mafia/maf. With a good port you are on edge with the stock injectors. Flow matched 60s or greater. As far as the lower, works great with a port. Oversize your alt pulley one larger than your size. Example 2.90 upper/4# lower posi port 16.5# boost. I use a alt that goes with the 6# lower 3.5" instead of the usual 3.2".

Last edited:

hinds04

Established Member
You don’t have to have a lower pulley for a port... and thus you dont need a different alt pulley. I did everything you saying about a year ago and if I were you I would skip the mafia and get a sct2400 and skip the BAP and get GT pumps. You will save yourself a lot of hassle, believe me. Then you will be all ready for a TS in the future. A proper tune should take your tuner a week or so... so be careful, a lot of hackers out there

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Then $3500 is an absolute ripoff. Find another shop first and then do most of the basic labor yourself.

I agree have Brian P do a Race Port and slap it on yourself and if you don't want any car down time Eatons are ALL Over Ebay so a spare is available for under $500!

black 10th vert

Established Member
You guys are correct that the guy can definitely cut his bill in half by doing the labor himself, but he hasn't given us any information about whether that is even something he is able, or wanting to tackle himself. What is relatively easy for some, can be like doing brain surgery to someone that only has taken a basic CPR class. I think the OP really needs to check back in and give us more information before we can really advise him properly on this situation. The price he got is likely very much in line with what someone would pay here (keep in mind, the OP is from Canada, so this is not an apples to apples comparison of labor or parts costs!).

Users who are viewing this thread