Am I the only one that regrets upgrading from the stock eaton ?

Maxspeed04svt

Established Member
Am I crazy?

Over the winter I did a vmp Tvs and return fuel system.
Car makes 619wheel 568tq

seems like I had more fun with the car when it was just ported blower ?

I almost wish I just did like a 75shot and called it a day.

The money I spent on the Tvs and return fuel setup just doesn't seem like it was worth it

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Really? That sucks, I have zero regrets. Why did you have more fun when it was ported? It seems a couple people have said this and I can't figure it out.

RichM1983

Established Member
I've never heard that complaint. I've read a few that regretted going turbo and taking it to far towards a strip only car but everyone says that that a TVS or twin screw is still tame and driveable as long as your not in it.

Whats your complaint???

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
This makes sense to me. Its so easy to go overboard and get caught up in the power game. More power > less traction > more worries > less reliability > more money spent > less willingness to drive the car hard and have fun...

A ported set up it is plenty fun.... A blower swap set up is also awesome but you will have to spend the money to fully enjoy it properly...

Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
This makes sense to me. Its so easy to go overboard and get caught up in the power game. More power > less traction > more worries > less reliability > more money spent > less willingness to drive the car hard and have fun...

A ported set up it is plenty fun.... A blower swap set up is also awesome but you will have to spend the money to fully enjoy it properly...

As much as I'd like more outta my car, I agree with this. Barry and just talked about this a few weeks ago. I can't use that much HP here and I don't drive mine much let alone race it.

Maxspeed04svt

Established Member

Yup you nailed it, I've got 305/35/18 nitto drag radials and even at 40 I don't catch grip on a cooler night . The ported eaton used to hook and book.

I'm to afraid to track it now with the stock axles and trans.

And Anyone that knows the car won't race me, with the ported blower seemed like everyone wanted a piece .

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Yup you nailed it, I've got 305/35/18 nitto drag radials and even at 40 I don't catch grip on a cooler night . The ported eaton used to hook and book.

I'm to afraid to track it now with the stock axles and trans.

And Anyone that knows the car won't race me, with the ported blower seemed like everyone wanted a piece .

For one get better tires, I hated the 555r. Temps in mid 50's I can get full traction in 2ND gear with 305/35/18 r888. My video in sig is with temps close to 60°

MG01GT

Established Member
For one get better tires, I hated the 555r. Temps in mid 50's I can get full traction in 2ND gear with 305/35/18 r888. My video in sig is with temps close to 60°

What he said...... R888's are the only street tire will ever mess with!!

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I've heard this alot before. Alot of big power guys say they had way more fun in their car at sub 500 than 650+. Being able to drive the wheels off the car with less worry is alot more fun.

Same with my truck, I have to be careful when and where I smash it compared to 200whp ago.

stangfreak

Established Member
Am I crazy?

Over the winter I did a vmp Tvs and return fuel system.
Car makes 619wheel 668tq

seems like I had more fun with the car when it was just ported blower ?

I almost wish I just did like a 75shot and called it a day.

The money I spent on the Tvs and return fuel setup just doesn't seem like it was worth it

I had more fun when my car had the following mods.

2.80 upper
borla stinger catback
steeda cold air
Tune
steeda tri ax shifter

car was so fun to drive and I had a blast. Like I said in the past, and I am guilty as well, we go from a ported eaton, then a 2.3 whipple, then to another blower, finally to a 3.4 whipple. we go around in circles with these blowers. The hp increase going from one to another isn't really anything crazy. Time and effort for marginal gains. some feel, it wasn't worth it. some say, thats why just go turbo. But thats a different topic.

Maxspeed04svt

Established Member
My buddie has the r888 and he can't hook up in first gear either, if they are better then the nittos I think it's minimal.

Feels like this thing needs a full slick just to hook from a dig or even first gear

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
This is exactly where i'm stuck. Was going TVS but decided to just throw a 75 on the ported eaton and see where it got me. That's alot of money for 100 whp

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
My buddie has the r888 and he can't hook up in first gear either, if they are better then the nittos I think it's minimal.

Feels like this thing needs a full slick just to hook from a dig or even first gear

Well you're not going to get full traction in 1st gear or a dig on the street with that much power. A slick maybe, but you should have been well aware of that before going with a bigger blower. I could dead hook in 1st gear with r888 when I was making 455 rwhp.

I love how my car drives, I can still short shift 1st gear and give her the beans in 2ND. Such a violent feeling.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i know that there have been a few guys on here over the years who said they felt that they had more overall fun with the car when it was just pullied.

but personally i want to try a bigger blower cuz there are so many fast cars out now a stock pullied eaton barely cuts it out there on the street anymore

2003cobra22

Corn Fed
Established Member
but personally i want to try a bigger blower cuz there are so many fast cars out now a stock pullied eaton barely cuts it out there on the street anymore

I agree most mid range sport cars can bolt on a basic supercharger kit and make 500+rwhp

MG01GT

Established Member
I think that a lot of times what happens in this car game is that our eyes are a lot bigger than our stomach and wallets. I have had to learn the hard way over the years that when it comes to building a car that its best to have a realistic goal, be realistic with yourself and what exactly you will use the car for. Its easy to wrapped up with trying to keep up with the Jones and chasing these big numbers.... But to what end? That's just me though. Different strokes for different folks.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I think that a lot of times what happens in this car game is that our eyes are a lot bigger than our stomach and wallets. I have had to learn the hard way over the years that when it comes to building a car that its best to have a realistic goal, be realistic with yourself and what exactly you will use the car for. Its easy to wrapped up with trying to keep up with the Jones and chasing these big numbers.... But to what end? That's just me though. Different strokes for different folks.

This could be true for some people. I have few friends that are into having the fastest street car, and they are spending tons of money to get there. They do a lot of racing, street and track. I get crap because I have decent power and don't race.

Maxspeed04svt

Established Member
P49y I felt the same way, when I was 500 wheel I had fun racing head/cam Fbodies but with the new cars coming out with more power the itch for more is there.

Now that I stepped it up, the fbodies don't want to race anymore but the local cars that do want to will eat my lousy 600 wheel lol

And you guys are right on the budget aspect, If I decide to track the car now I'm looking at a twin disk, built trans, true trac with race axles.
With the ported blower I poped the stage 2 clutch and hung on lol

Last edited:

MG01GT

Established Member
This could be true for some people. I have few friends that are into having the fastest street car, and they are spending tons of money to get there. They do a lot of racing, street and track. I get crap because I have decent power and don't race.

And that's cool if they are racing it like that, but im like you, Id rather have decent power, be able to use it, not be breaking shit and worried about who has what and what not. Hey but that's the joys of living in this country.... we can choose to do what we want lol.

NiceCobra

Established Member
I don't necessarily "regret" going tvs but it's definitely a much bigger headache.
I've had nothing but stupid problems and 2 separate tuners tune the car and I feel like it's still not running quite where it should be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread