Am I the only one that regrets upgrading from the stock eaton ?

Dusten

Established Member
I say this all the time. I had the most fun when my lightning had a ported blower and 6lb lower.

Jmurrz

Established Member
Yeah... I have a solution, you guys should give all of those unappreciated HP's to me! I am always looking for more. Call me power hungry, but I can't get enough. I am throwing a 100 shot at my 2.3 Whipple on 20 PSI just to get some more.

I can somewhat understand where you guys are coming from, not with the power, but when I went from my comfortable cruiser vert to my SRA strip oriented coupe I do miss the simplicity and comfort sometimes. Usually I don't dwell on it for too long... one blip of the throttle and I forget pretty quickly!

I want to have two someday, one just for a cruiser and another one for strictly for ****ing shit up.

I'D WIN

Established Member
Agree with Jmurrz ... If your worries don't go away when you drive the car, then something is wrong.

I also have to ask those who regret the upgrade, what did you expect? With more power comes more needs, more expenses and so forth. When done right, it can be just as reliable or more than a stock Terminator. My 700+ RWHP idles and drives better than a stocker all day.

Zemedici

Established Member
Yeah... I have a solution, you guys should give all of those unappreciated HP's to me! I am always looking for more. Call me power hungry, but I can't get enough. I am throwing a 100 shot at my 2.3 Whipple on 20 PSI just to get some more.

I can somewhat understand where you guys are coming from, not with the power, but when I went from my comfortable cruiser vert to my SRA strip oriented coupe I do miss the simplicity and comfort sometimes. Usually I don't dwell on it for too long... one blip of the throttle and I forget pretty quickly!

I want to have two someday, one just for a cruiser and another one for strictly for ****ing shit up.

+1 to this. My 04 was bone stock. My current 10th is anything but. I wouldn't go back. Car nows a blast. I can blow the tires off if I want but I can also make it shit and get if I want.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
And that's cool if they are racing it like that, but im like you, Id rather have decent power, be able to use it, not be breaking shit and worried about who has what and what not. Hey but that's the joys of living in this country.... we can choose to do what we want lol.

Exactly. They don't understand why I don't drag race it. I tell them my whole reason for selling my fox and wanting a cobra is to have a fun cruiser with hp potential.

My car drives better than stock, idles perfect, and has some hp if I choose to use it. I'm sure I'll have some headaches upgrading my fuel system in a few weeks and might need some retuning, but I have faith in my tuner.

blckRadda

Established Member
For the TVS guys why not just pulley up, and drop psi and get the car back to a fun hp level? I kinda understand that defeats the purpose of spending the money on a larger blower but it's still an Eaton, shouldn't feel like dog down low like some say the bigger blowers are when not pullied for high boost. I would be happy knowing that I have more power on tap when I get bored/comfortable and am just a pulley swap away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
I think it really depends on what you want to do with it. If you race a lot on the drag strip, the extra power is great. I think for open tracking an efficient and cooler blower would trump big power and excessive heat... though I think a TVS or smaller Whipple leaving some power on the table would probably be more heat efficient anyway... I would think.
If you do run on the strip though, you are probably not too averse to risk and breakage, people serious about it are a totally different breed of car enthusiasts... more like thrill junkey.
If you mostly just drive it for leisure, a 500hp car is enough power for fun anywhere you go. And stopping short of big power and big problems means you can keep the car manageable, break less stuff, and still have enough road for your level of power. You probably wouldn't be happy with that power level if you got into serious drag racing but it would be plenty of fun for some weekend fun as a hobby. And if you decide to partake in other motorsports like autocross or open tracking, you would be happy you didn't have 700hp I think.

On topic, if you regret a bigger blower, unless it is a big power blower like a 2.9 whipple and up, just back off on the boost and retune it. It can still be a lot of fun and very manageable with a really nice aftermarket blower.

Maxspeed04svt

Established Member
Now that Ive spent the money I cant get myself to pulley up, just sort of wishing I never upgraded that's all .

I almost thought about selling the TVS unit

MG01GT

Established Member
Now that Ive spent the money I cant get myself to pulley up, just sort of wishing I never upgraded that's all .

I almost thought about selling the TVS unit

Man I say do what makes sense to you and makes ya the happiest and makes the car the most enjoyable in your eyes. You could easily sell that VMP turn around and buy your self a good brake set up... which these cars can always use and believe it or not can make your driving experience more enjoyable as well. Just my two pennies though!

Dan04COBRA

Established Member
It's funny I found this topic.

I had a basic mod & pullied 04 Cobra years ago and it was by miles the most fun car I had ever owned. Now I have an 03 with similar mods & a touch faster, but with all the aftermarket blowers out there...and the 500+hp I'm seeing out of ported Eatons - I have an overwhelming urge to get the car up over the 500hp mark. But for what? I'm not going to run it at the track more than just a few passes a couple times a year if that. I'm not going to be an idiot like I was and run around on the streets looking to race everything from minivans to Ferrari's.

It's not like this car is extremely comfortable and another 60-100hp will just make it faster. It's going to make an already violent car, more violent. I already have to reach for miles to shift, my seat is all the way back and my knees are still stuffed up around the dash, unless the wheel is pointing at the front bumper, it's easy to jam my hand on the wheel and my knee and almost die if I don't get my leg out of the way.

Right now the car is just the right balance of road noise, power, controllable instability, etc. I have to wonder what 500+hp would make it feel like.

I remember almost driving home with a '13 GT500, it was an absolute monster. It was incredibly comfortable, the ergonomics were just perfect for me. However, oddly enough I cared less about it's brutal power and was more or less let down that it didn't have the 'death missile' feel to it that a Terminator has.

Oh man. Life is so confusing.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
There's no "secret" trap door you go thru just because you have a 700+ terminator. Or at least, that's the way it should be if modded and tuned correctly. The car will do everything it did before. It will idle, partial throttle drive and cruise as good as stock. The only real change is when you punch it. I think an E85 tuned 700 is a perfect number for these cars

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
I can see how there might be regrets because other things need to be upgraded with the blower. But i love my set up. Drives and idles better than it did stock. Feels great. But when i open the throttle it rips. And no you will never hook up in 1st on the street. Sorry.

cj428mach

Established Member
There's no "secret" trap door you go thru just because you have a 700+ terminator. Or at least, that's the way it should be if modded and tuned correctly. The car will do everything it did before. It will idle, partial throttle drive and cruise as good as stock. The only real change is when you punch it. I think an E85 tuned 700 is a perfect number for these cars

I agree!

I didn't cut any corners on my car and it really does everything well with no sacrifices. I spent extra for a higher end parts like a twin disc clutch, ID1000s, and Fore return fuel system to help make sure I got the best results.

I could easily see if I had gone with a cheaper single disc clutch, misbehaving 80s, or had hesitations from my fuel system/tuning issues I might not be happy.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Perfect number depends on the owner. There is a huge difference between a 450-500rwhp car versus even 650rwhp, never the less 700hp....

That's the good thing with the 2.3 aftermarket blowers....you can have a tune for a low boost gas and another tune for high boost e85. I'm sure if one was to instruct the tuner to make a super low timing pump gas tune you could have that 500 if you want. Then once you get bored toss in the ethanol and make 700. 200 hp transformation. Or tune in any number in between that range, totally up to the user. It's really amazing versatility

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
Nope, OP...you aren't

All my friends call me crazy because I can't justify spending $3 - $5k on a TVS plus supporting mods for a small % more power

On the street the eaton hits hard and is fun to drive, plus i am dead nuts reliable with zero issues.

for me, at this point in my life I have a lot of other things I need to be spending that kinda coin on

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I love my car 10x more with a bigger blower on it. Of course I had a questionable tune when I was pullied. I felt like I had to stomp on it to get it to move out. Now I can just easy into boost at low rpm and away we go. Stomp it and hold on. Unlike an eaton, the higher the rpm, the harder and faster it pulls, no fall off.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
I don't regret it, I do think about selling it a lot more now..

Low mile SB coupe and an aftermarket blower.. I could probably sell it in less than a week.

Users who are viewing this thread