American Muscle Theft

cwlanders

Established Member
Last June I wrote an Install Guide for American Muscle and in return received $200 store credit. There is no where on their website that states they have the right to take back their payment if I didn't spend it in time. Like most people, I was saving up for a larger item, probably a one piece driveshaft, so I was waiting until I got more gift cards to spend the money. I already had a $50 gift card in my account before receiving the $200 credit from my guide.
One week after i received the credit I spent $23, which just came out of my $250 total account balance, there was no way to know if it was from my $200 credit or $50 gift card. Today I go onto my account and see that all of my payment from the guide is no longer in my account. I get on the phone and am told by the manager that the money was only good for six months (again, nobody ever told me that) and that since I made that $23 purchase after I got the $200 credit, that counted as me using the credit and they are no longer able to give me the remaining $177 that I earned.
When on the phone, he said this all should have been outlined in an email when they notified me of the credit. The guides department was in the middle of heavy turnover so it already took 3 months for them to accept my guide, as opposed to the usual 8-10 days they state on their website. Clearly they were already undermanned and someone didn't send the email letting me know. Well I finally get an email from them in response to my guide only saying "thanks for your patience, we are experiencing turnover so things are pretty crazy. Your guide is in the "pending" status currently." That is the last email I got from them before have the $200 credit show up in my account. No disclosure of an expiration, no disclosure on anything. For all intents and purposes, I was lead to believe that this $200 was essentially a gift card that I could use at my discretion until I had spent all of the money.
So now not only do they have the rights to my install guide, but they also took back their payment for the guide without ever informing me that their was a time limit on my credit.
This behavior is very shady and honestly i'm not sure someone could legally justify taking back payment and saying tough luck without letting the customer know that was even an option. If they don't fix this issue (and maybe compensate me for the trouble) they are going to be hearing from me every single day until it gets fixed. This is ridiculous.

oldmodman

Established Member
I don't know anything about your fix but I do have a few "gift cards" for various businesses. I did ask them if the cards can ever expire and was told that they never expire. So naturally I went to use one of them and was told it had been cancelled due to the entire batch of them being "hacked" It took me a couple of months to get it replaced. I was not very happy either.
but at least it did get replaced. Eventually.

I hope it all works out for you. It's to A.M.'s benefit to grant you the money. You are planning to spend a lot more money with them if it is put back in your account.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
I have never understood why a company is willing to take negative feedback and lose a customer/potential future sales to save a few bucks.

As long as your install guide was accepted and used my AM, that $200 store credit should be good forever.

JMO

Mentos

Earn this
Established Member
My gf gave me a $10 token coupon to a fast food chain when she cleaned up her office one day. The coupon literally said, "never expires". I go to cash it in, and they say it's no good due to some BS about an old promotion. I called corporate, and they took care of it. It was only $10, but it was on principle that I wanted to redeem my "never" expiring coupon. ...just keep politely hounding them about it until AM gives in haha.

Shifty Powers

The Shifty Mobile
Established Member
welp... thats a new one! Never heard that before.

Good luck man! I am sure someone on here will see it and rectify it.

sc98cbra

Established Member
You're missing some information to properly evaluate the matter, but you may likely be able to seek a remedy in court (if it comes down to it). The threat of litigation over a measly $200 might put their feet to the fire.

DiB14-SAFD

Established Member
Link this post to the AM forum or pm/tag AMWill and he will probably take care of this issue. From his previous actions on the forums with other members I think he would handle this asap.

madscotsman

Established Member
I believe Will from AM already reached out on one of his FB posts about the same issue and either gave or is giving him a $200 credit. He did state that they expire via their system automatically at 6 months (longest future date they can enter in their system). I'm sure he'll be in here to update this thread?

Black2010

Established Member
CARD act does not apply here since this is not a credit card. It's not even an account credit according to their website. Their site states that it is given to the person as a coupon code.

Their (AM's) biggest challenge here is that their is not limitation birdseed on their webpage at the moment which states anything about the time for which the coupon code may expire. Without that information they really don't have much to stand on unless they can document (with proof) that you were advised in another manner. Any reputable company would be able to produce the exact e-mail that was sent to you (I know I can at my company).

For $200, I'd be surprised if they didn't give you your funds back.

I believe Will from AM already reached out on one of his FB posts about the same issue and either gave or is giving him a $200 credit. He did state that they expire via their system automatically at 6 months (longest future date they can enter in their system). I'm sure he'll be in here to update this thread?

That's good to hear. For AM. If the above is correct you need to add this to your page here - http://www.americanmuscle.com/100.html At the end of step 3 their should be a page driver (most use an *) which then references the footer of the page which has the birdseed that claims the limiting factors.

cwlanders

Established Member

Will did reach out on FB and was super helpful. We got the situation squared away and the credit has been restored. I do think they should do a better job disclosing the use and time limit of the credit on t heir site, but at least for now everything is good. I'm sure many people don't have this issue because they use the credit before the 6 months is up but I have been studying for my CPA and working full time so I was saving it for March when I finally have free time again. While my original contact to get the issue resolved was less than stellar, Will went above and beyond to help and seems like he genuinely cares for the customers.

Bouttime09

Oh, it's not 5.0?
Established Member
I think this whole thing was asinine. Should have told them they only had six months with your install guide.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread