Another 3.73 gear whine story

QtrFlsh

Established Member
I agree!
I know some have said that there are some differences in the GT500 rear-ends that most techs are missing on some lash settings. Some are suggesting that the side carrier bearings HAVE to be re-shimmed/reset. Should Ford include some additional side notes in these to remind techs to check additional lashes?? It sure seems that several installers (many of SEVERAL years) are either missing something or don't want to take a little more time on the install. Whats funny, is that the last shop I used didn't touch anything related to the side carriers. They also tried to get the whine out of the FRPP gear before putting in the Richmond to see if the previous install was bad (it wasn't).

I did also use the updated pinion bearings/races and new crush sleeve.
On a good note, I have bought all my FRPP items from you guys at Tousley, and suggest if anyone wants great prices and some of the best customer service, give you guys a call!

Tim03cobra

Established Member
Hey Qtrflsh. I've been wanting to do gears but, i don't want the wine. What shop did you use? Is it here in Oklahoma?

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Shelby Autos has put a whole lot of 3.73s in all the KRs and Super Snakes out there. Haven't heard any complaints from those camps.

Wonder if they're using FRPP or OEM. I thought they were just installing the completed FRPP assemblies.

Yellow Horse

Established Member
The only gears that I have ever seen that come with the "stamp" are Richmond Gears. I can assure you that all Ford Racing 8.8 Gear Sets do not have the "stamp". All 8.8 rear housings and or carriers are not excactly the same for whatever reason, and require the use of a special Dealer only install kit that consists of a Gauge Tube and Pinion Depth Gauge that is used to select the proper Pinion Shim. The stock Carrier Shims are re-used.

Motive Gear does. None of the Ford Racing I have bought had the depth stamped. If they were installed properly you should have no whine. I like Motive because they are lapped as a set for even better wear.

Last edited:

Yellow Horse

Established Member
damnnnn..... I JUST ordered a set of these + install kit from Evo!!! Why God, why?

FS: **NIB** FRPP 3.73 GT500 gears & install kit!!!

C'mon... who wants em?!!!

I do my own gear swaps using the instructions on Corral.net and common sense. Plus, I have done seveal in IRS Cobras with no whine and no vibe. Throw them suckers in.

Last edited:

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
I just called FRPP about this and they said that they have not had many issues with the 3.73's at all and he said that even taking into account all the different ratios they sell 9 times out of 10 when they get a set of gears back for whine it's an install issue.

As far as I know the KR's also use the FRPP gears.

Maybe it's just some installers not taking the time to double check all the settings when they do the install.

I also just checked my sales history and I sold 29 sets of the FRPP 3.73's in the last year and only had one credit and that was for a set sold to another dealer.

All I can suggest would be to impress it upon your installer the importance of double checking all the tolerances and specs before calling it good and hoping it doesn't whine.

70SCJ

(Ret) USMC F/A-18 Driver
Established Member
I bought an entire rearend from FRPP and mine now groans with sharp slow turns as well as picked up a hum at highway speeds. I thought maybe the friction modifier was not put in at the factory, but after adding some I still have all the same issues.

chuckstang

Established Member
The KR def gets the entire 373 rear end, they do not install gears on existing GT500s, they simply use the rear end from a Bullit Mustang.

Not sure on the SS's

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
The FRPP rear with 3.73s and the HD pinion bearing would seem like the worry free solution, as everything is ready to run. I thought I saw a few with this unit swapped in that still ended up whining after some miles on it?

chuckstang

Established Member
Check out team shelby

All the dam cars either moan or whine or both

I have no moaning, just whining

Actually before my gear swap I had the moan which I did not mind at all, but after gear swap I lost the moan and gained the whine

hah

blown9350lx

JazboSVT
Established Member
I had a ford tech install my 373 gears it only makes a low moan noise in 6th gear on the freeway and when I put the tranny in neutral the noise is gone when coasting. It's wierd I'm not sure if that's normal or not.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The FRPP rear with 3.73s and the HD pinion bearing would seem like the worry free solution, as everything is ready to run. I thought I saw a few with this unit swapped in that still ended up whining after some miles on it?
I am running the FRPP 3.73 axle assembly (same unit as installed on the KR) and have zero moan issues.

Apparently, there were 'noise' issues with the KR though. I just found that Ford installed a unique gear cover on 'random' KR's to quell the noise.
Here are a couple of shots of the 'quiet cover' that was used...
ry%3D480

ry%3D480

The part number crosses to a 2007 Explorer. Yet that cover comes with a huge set of ears cast on each side, as they are used in conjunction with that vehicle's IRS. I believe Ford had a subcontractor machine the ears off. I will be filing a lawsuit for copyright infringement as Ford stole my idea from a few years ago:lol1:

Here is one I did...

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

A quick comparison between the old SVO cover and the finsihed cover I did (sanblasted and clear coated).

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Aside from the drain/fill plugs and the thick cast aluminum, the cover has a machined groove that captures the silicone sealant and eliminates any leakage. A very nice piece.
ry%3D480

I just picked up the latest revision of this cover yesterday. Ford has made some changes to it. I'm going to cut it down the same way Ford cut the KR unit down and may swap it for the FRPP cover I'm using now. Obviously, it is without any type of load bolts for additional bearing support, such as is a feature on the FRPP cover. But it would offer a lot more clearance between it and the Maximum Motorsports panhard bar I'm running (I'm not a fan of the PB relocation brackets on the market).

Tob

Last edited:

70SCJ

(Ret) USMC F/A-18 Driver
Established Member
I am running the FRPP 3.73 axle assembly (same unit as installed on the KR) and have zero moan issues.

Apparently, there were 'noise' issues with the KR though. I just found that Ford installed a unique gear cover on 'random' KR's to quell the noise.
Here are a couple of shots of the 'quiet cover' that was used...

Tob

Tob,
Were the noise issues you heard about with the KR the slow speed sharp turn groan or the higher speed whine?

Thanks

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
70SCJ, the only individual I ever heard mention issues like this being seen with the KR was a few days ago, from 'Bill'. His sig from the CS site reads as follows...
Bill said:
Former SAI line Manager SGT,KR,50 SSnakes

His sig used to mention that CS laid him off. Anyway, what I find a bit funny is that he really doesn't know much about them - yet says he was a line manager for the very vehicle. To quote a post he made in a similar thread at the CS site...
It was used on all KR upfits on site at the time and all new arrivals Not all 3:73 sets whine but they do somewhat when they are new and quiet down like a 3:55,3:23. I have not seen this cover on anything else yet maybe on police cruisers? Hope that cleared things a little

Even after I showed the breakdown (parts number wise, with photos) he still goes on to mention that it may have been a Crown Vic part.:rolleyes:

No problem, I'll clear this one up!

Steve said:
The diff cover for an IRS Explorer is P/N 7L2Z*4033*B and I can do them for $38.00 plus shipping.
That is the correct part number. Steve, that is an awesome price!! Here is my receipt from yesterday's visit to my local Ford dealer..

ry%3D480

The revision that was used was AB...

ry%3D480

And it turns out that Ford had someone (Watson Engineering?) cut these down. I've got photos from today from a KR owner that clearly show it to be cut almost exactly like I did my older Explorer cover, shown previously in this thread. Here is an '01 Explorer next to the '07 Explorer cover (which obviously still has the ears). Look closely and you'll note some minor changes, such as less ribbing, a smaller drain plug, and a relocated fill plug.

ry%3D480

Remember guys, this cover will fit any 8.8 differential, and easily clears mods such as panhard bars that have been added to a fox chassis, etc.

Tob

Last edited:

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
70SCJ, the only individual I ever heard mention issues like this being seen with the KR was a few days ago, from 'Bill'. His sig from the CS site reads as follows...

His sig used to mention that CS laid him off. Anyway, what I find a bit funny is that he really doesn't know much about them - yet says he was a line manager for the very vehicle. To quote a post he made in a similar thread at the CS site...

Even after I showed the breakdown (parts number wise, with photos) he still goes on to mention that it may have been a Crown Vic part.:rolleyes:

No problem, I'll clear this one up!

That is the correct part number. Steve, that is an awesome price!! Here is my receipt from yesterday's visit to my local Ford dealer..

ry%3D480

The revision that was used was AB...

ry%3D480

And it turns out that Ford had someone (Watson Engineering?) cut these down. I've got photos from today from a KR owner that clearly show it to be cut almost exactly like I did my older Explorer cover, shown previously in this thread. Here is an '01 Explorer next to the '07 Explorer cover (which obviously still has the ears). Look closely and you'll note some minor changes, such as less ribbing, a smaller drain plug, and a relocated fill plug.

ry%3D480

Remember guys, this cover will fit any 8.8 differential, and easily clears mods such as panhard bars that have been added to a fox chassis, etc.

Tob

great info

blown9350lx

JazboSVT
Established Member
The diff cover for an IRS Explorer is P/N 7L2Z*4033*B and I can do them for $38.00 plus shipping. :beer:

But the part you listed is the one that is for an explorer I was wondering if ford sold the one that is on the kr already modified I really don't have the type of cutting equipment to modify that cover.

Users who are viewing this thread