Another DFX bites the dust

RL1

Established Member
BuffDigits said:
I have something around 10k miles on my centerforce dfx clutch with 600rwhp, been fine.

as for break in thats the same story lethal told me, but when I received the DFX clutch the paperwork inside the box clearly stated you needed to break it in.

I drove it easy for around 450 miles,(or two tanks of gas) per the instructions, then gradully increased the abuse over time and its held up well.

I just re checked the paper work that came with my DFX and it clearly stated a 450-500 mile break in to properly seat the clutch...Lethal also told me there was no break in WTF?? - also, when I spoke with Centerforce about issues with my clutch they asked if i had an orange or Yellow pressure plate...apparently there are 2 different kinds of DFX's

Last edited:

fast440

Established Member
RL1 said:
I just re checked the paper work that came with my DFX and it clearly stated a 450-500 mile break in to properly seat the clutch...Lethal also told me there was no break in WTF?? - also, when I spoke with Centerforce about issues with my clutch they asked if i had an orange or Yellow pressure plate...apparently there are 2 different kinds of DFX's
Do you remember what color yours is?? I also heard there was a new updated DFX disc.

rmgtc01

Established Member
I had 2 orange, and both sucked...even after a break in.
Maybe they updated it knowing that there was an issue with the orange one.

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
mine is orange. and I confirmed my sheet from inside the box said to break it in.

only differences I can see so far is the guys thats started this thread are running quite a bit more HP and running slicks. im only at 600rwhp not 650 or 675 and i only run bfg kdw2 street tires.

maybe they just dont hold up under the increased HP and with the increase in traction?

im a daily driver so Im not a good example of how it performs at the track, i just know its held up on the street just fine.

Jdaniel

THE DARK SIDE MOD
Established Member
I went with a Spec stage 3+ and steel flywheel. Im not a big fan of shit that breaks and Ive never heard of any problems out of Specs. I used to driving it also because Ive driven my buddies Saleen with the Spec III for nearly 5 months! I loved the Spec clutch.

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
Jdaniel said:
I went with a Spec stage 3+ and steel flywheel. Im not a big fan of shit that breaks and Ive never heard of any problems out of Specs. I used to driving it also because Ive driven my buddies Saleen with the Spec III for nearly 5 months! I loved the Spec clutch.

+1 Almost 2 year of track abuse with my Spec 3 & very streetable too. My CFDF lasted 2 months..:xpl:

RL1

Established Member
fast440 said:
Do you remember what color yours is?? I also heard there was a new updated DFX disc.

Mine is orange, installed about 2 months ago. A friend of mine has thier updated disc and he has practically zero chatter. Centerforce wants me to take the clutch out of the car and send it back to them for them to test it. They want to see if the disc or pressure plate is warped...they said they get damaged during shipping sometimes yada yada yada.

I had the labor covered through a local Ford dealership now I have to get on my damn back and pull this freaking thing my self..... the guy at Centerforce was very reluctant to admit that there was any change to the clutch disk.....looks like they are trying to make it as difficult as possible for those of us that are having issues with our clutches.

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
oddly enough they do get warped. Ive seen a brand new spec setup right out of the box not sit flat, twisted almost 1/4 inch, they had to send it back and replace it.

Ive had the spec3 in the, and even though it help well, the chatter was horrible
and only got worse as the clutch got hotter and hotter in stop and go traffic.

several cobra club owners here also had the same issues so we all switched to the centerforce setup.

guess there are good and bad experiences on both sides.

i had small amount of chatter in first when I first start up the morning but thats about it.

ah well would be nice to have each example in the context, running a track car with slicks is probably going to give different results then a daily driver with street tires.

I know I had my stock clutch for quite awhile with tons of power, it wasnt until I put stickier tires on that the clutch started to go.

from personal experience the spec3 and centerforce have worked the same just one chattered more then the other.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
My new one was sent to my parents house and my dad drop it off at the shop with out me seeing the actually disc. It feels like a different clutch.... a lot less chatter and smoother engagements.

silvercoffin

Established Member

Maybe im just confused but there are three different levels of centerforce clutches. All of which are orange...

Centerforce II
Centerforce Dual Friction (which is the one most people seem to go with)

and then the DFX

I believe that the II and Dual Friction both require the usual 500 mile break in...although im not sure about that.

The Centerforce Rep I spoke with on the phone confirmed that with the DFX and steel fly wheel I was considering ordering there is no break in period necessary. I dont know if the fly wheel has anything to do with break in. For example if I was going with aluminum would I need a break in period? but for that combo thats what they said.

I am seriously considering the DFX with the steel fly wheel just for that reason. NO break in period. Its a PITA to break in a clutch on a car that you almost never drive on the street.

Tylerb59

Established Member
Nope. Should be here next week.

3.2 and 4#, eh. I have a 3.25 I need to install , what kind of numbers did you pull?

Are you running 92oct?

rmgtc01

Established Member
silvercoffin said:
I am seriously considering the DFX with the steel fly wheel just for that reason. NO break in period. Its a PITA to break in a clutch on a car that you almost never drive on the street.

That is what I had. The DFX with Steel Fidanza flywheel and both of my DFX's crapped out around 1k mile or less.

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
Centerforce II
Centerforce Dual Friction (which is the one most people seem to go with)

and then the DFX

I believe that the II and Dual Friction both require the usual 500 mile break in...although im not sure about that.

interesting, mine definately came with instructions saying you needed to break it in. I might have the Dual Friction one then.

I have 10k miles on it with 600rwhp and its holding up fine.
Had the sepc3 with the HP, also help up just fine, just chattered like a bitch even after lots of breakin time and lots of miles.

ah well, it may be that some of us are comparing different centerforce clutches. with my power id expect if it was as bad as some of you state that it would have gone right away so it must be a different centerforce model.

RL1

Established Member
BuffDigits said:
interesting, mine definately came with instructions saying you needed to break it in. I might have the Dual Friction one then.

I have 10k miles on it with 600rwhp and its holding up fine.
Had the sepc3 with the HP, also help up just fine, just chattered like a bitch even after lots of breakin time and lots of miles.

ah well, it may be that some of us are comparing different centerforce clutches. with my power id expect if it was as bad as some of you state that it would have gone right away so it must be a different centerforce model.

The dual friction and DFX look totally different, did yours have a puck design or did it look like a round disc?....with your hp I doubt a regular dual friction would hold up very long

Maybe it's a possibility they pack the same instructions with every disc they sell to cover thier ass

Last edited:

silvercoffin

Established Member
info

Has anyone here really called Centerforce?

I called them and was told no break in period. There were hoenst enough to tell me that I probably wouldnt like the set up on the street and were concerned about me going with it if my car was a daily driver. I'm really surprised to hear all this.

Does everyone saying negative things here really know what they have in their car?

AGain there are four different types of Centerforces clutches and many of the cobra owners I have met in person at the track only went with a Dual friction, not the DFX. I am just wondering if there is some internet confusion going on here.

I tried to email centerforce a link to this to see if they had any comments but I cant find an email only phone numbers.

I heard bad things about spec at the track and nothing bad about centerforce, but online its just the opposite. I'm not sure what to make of it all.

Also seems strange to me that people here are saying that all their clutches say 500 miles break in when over the phone they said no break in period. I'm not saying anyone here is making anything up. It's perfectly possible that Centerforce is just that screwed up. WHo knows!

Users who are viewing this thread