Another new CA member

ncalcobra

Many thanks to everyone that is making this site a great place to spend time! My first car was a Acapulco Blue 1967 Mustang Fastback 289 Automatic with factory AC. Bought it for $1,200 in 1978. Sold it a while back and have always wanted another mustang. About 3 years ago I picked up a Crystal White 98 Cobra coupe with manual transmission and having a great time with it.

I do have a question... Now looking at picking up a 03-04 cobra now, found a 2003 I like and discovered it has an engine swap. It's still the correct 03 engine, everything seems in order, clean, and runs fantastic. (visually you can't tell it's been changed). Any opinion on if this would have a negative affect the value of this vehicle?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Welcome, if you have any plans for resale value then you need to pass an look at another car. Without matching numbers your losing huge value. But for a car to enjoy i would not worry if everything is in perfect working order ans test fine.

Papaw

Established Member
Welcome. Being a gearhead in California is not for the faint-of-heart!

Do you mean that you are looking at a real '03 Cobra with a different but correct engine? Or a Mustang that has had a Cobra engine transplant?

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Simple swap of the valve cover .
None of the signature plates are related to the vin .
Engine swaps usually entails reinstalling all ancileries, valve covers , intake , exhaust at times ,and all accessories.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Possible the car was raced heavily which resulted in an engine failure and replacement motor. Of course if the car is running just fine now, there's little worry about having a replacement engine unless, as @me32 said, you are concerned about future resale. If I was looking at the car, I'd really be interested in finding out what led to the engine replacement and just as important, how has the car been driven/treated since the replacement.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Possible the car was raced heavily which resulted in an engine failure and replacement motor. Of course if the car is running just fine now, there's little worry about having a replacement engine unless, as @me32 said, you are concerned about future resale. If I was looking at the car, I'd really be interested in finding out what led to the engine replacement and just as important, how has the car been driven/treated since the replacement.

I agree with all this here.

ncalcobra

Welcome, if you have any plans for resale value then you need to pass an look at another car. Without matching numbers your losing huge value. But for a car to enjoy i would not worry if everything is in perfect working order ans test fine.

This is just a car to enjoy for a few years as a weekend joy ride with the wife. Everything seems to be in perfect order. Had no clue the engine was changed as it looks perfect under the hood. I just asked because I had heard the term "Matching Numbers" in the past and was not sure if it pertains to modern cars. Want to avoid disappointment of paying top dollar on the purchase and take a value hit on this 10 years from now. Thanks for the reply! (Oh and it does have the 2 signatures on the engine).

Last edited:

ncalcobra

Welcome. Being a gearhead in California is not for the faint-of-heart!

Do you mean that you are looking at a real '03 Cobra with a different but correct engine? Or a Mustang that has had a Cobra engine transplant?

Hi Papa: You do need to be careful which parts you put on here in CA, especially for the smog check! Looking at a real Mustang Cobra Terminator with a replacement engine that I am told is the exact correct engine from another 03 Mustang Terminator. Thanks!

ncalcobra

Cobra Bob: Good point. Thanks I will ask more questions about exactly why it was changed. Thanks :)

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
This is just a car to enjoy for a few years as a weekend joy ride with the wife. Everything seems to be in perfect order. Had no clue the engine was changed as it looks perfect under the hood. I just asked because I had heard the term "Matching Numbers" in the past and was not sure if it pertains to modern cars. Want to avoid disappointment of paying top dollar on the purchase and take a value hit on this 10 years from now. Thanks for the reply! (Oh and it does have the 2 signatures on the engine).

Sounds like if everything comes out clean this car may work for your needs. Its not bad to pay top dollar if the new build is strong and everything done correctly, including the break in. No matter what cobra you end up choosing i would recommend it being looked over by professional, compression check, leak down ect. As these cars are getting older more problems are starting to arrive. So you dont want to pay top dollar for a car that may need work thats more than your normal wear and tear items and tune ups.

Users who are viewing this thread