Another new terminator owner...questions

ChiefP

03 Vert
Established Member
Hi All,
Sold my 01, I am gonna miss it. But to ease the pain I'm picking up an 03 in a couple days. Has custom paint/body kit, will post some pics. Stock engine...witrh 16K on the clock. When I drove it, I couldn't believe how hard the clutch pedal was. I thought my 01 had the stiffest clutch I'd even drove...till now. Is this SOP for terminators? BTW, even bone stock, this thing has more grunt than my new edge did on it's best day. Is there any better sound than a SC spooling up? :banana:

Jefe

Established Member
Feels lighter than the Spec Stage 1 that was on my last mustang. But I dont have rush hour traffic. I definitely got a sore leg while driving around LA last month though

Last edited:

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
The Spec 3+ in my car is comparable to the clutch in my dad's Peterbilt.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
The stock clutch in these is known for being very stiff. But it handles the power very well and can take a beating. What is this custom paint/body kit you speak of.... :dw:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
The stock clutch will definitely be very stiff compared to your 01...BTW, please be careful when picking a Terminator with a custom paint/body kit...there are a few people that have murdered/destroyed the look of a Terminator by a custom paint/body kit...
Also, check to make sure the title is clean because there might be a reason behind the custom paint/body kit

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
Never drove a 01 cobra, but my 03 ain't that bad. I had several others cars that where much worst.

03mgmcobra

Established Member
Hi All,
Sold my 01, I am gonna miss it. But to ease the pain I'm picking up an 03 in a couple days. Has custom paint/body kit, will post some pics. Stock engine...witrh 16K on the clock. When I drove it, I couldn't believe how hard the clutch pedal was. I thought my 01 had the stiffest clutch I'd even drove...till now. Is this SOP for terminators? BTW, even bone stock, this thing has more grunt than my new edge did on it's best day. Is there any better sound than a SC spooling up? :banana:

yeah, i'm leary of this custom paint/body as i like clean/stock'ish looks..maybe some fat rear tires/rims, lowering springs, tint and that's about it. and yes clutches are stiff...vegas dd here. sucks. the f/i makes for low end grunt i could have only dreamed of in my 2v gt. and no, ther is no better sound than sc "spooling up"..although i thought only tubos did that. add a cai/rai, take the hood bonnet off (from what i hear) and it will really scream. :eek:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Pedal effort is def a littte harder than most vehicles.You`ll get used to it!Good luck w/the purchase:thumbsup:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I agree. Initially you notice the clutch is stiffer than you're used to, but you'll get used to it. I honestly never had an issue with the stiffness of the clutch in my '03 Cobra. As a matter of fact, I found I had more trouble then handling lighter clutches. LOL!

Enjoy your Cobra! I hope you like it as much as the majority here like theirs. :beer:

xenodragon

Established Member
ITs funny, I have to switch cars around in the driveway sometimes, after moving the cobra and going to the speed3 I almost punch a hole in the floorboard with my foot.

bansheewild88

Established Member
hey xeno i c that u had a subaru sti and u say in ur sig it was gay wut didnt u like about it? i never owned one but that was the car other then the cobra i was looking at just in ur opinion wut didnt u like about it.. oh and yeah the clutch is much stiffer then a new edge i tested a few new edges and they werent as stiff as my 04... but god do i love the s/c sound...

silvervenom

Established Member
hey xeno i c that u had a subaru sti and u say in ur sig it was gay wut didnt u like about it? i never owned one but that was the car other then the cobra i was looking at just in ur opinion wut didnt u like about it.. oh and yeah the clutch is much stiffer then a new edge i tested a few new edges and they werent as stiff as my 04... but god do i love the s/c sound...

i dont post much but i seen this post about the sti and i also owned one before i got my second 03 cobra and i didnt really care for mine either. It handles amazing but the so called 300 hp is more like 200 hp and the way that it rides is like being on a log wagon. everything in the car was cheap but they charged bmw price to repair it or buy replacements. If the check engine light was on you couldnt use the cruise control. But over all it just isnt what it should be with what you pay for it

ChiefP

03 Vert
Established Member
Thanks all for the feedback. I've got a contour SVT as well and like xeno, I about shove the clutch thru the floor everytime I get in it. As far as the kit/paint, I'll get pics up by Friday (pick it up Thurs). All I'll say in advance is it's a love it/hate it for sure and I plan to make some changes, but with only 16K and a unmolested motor, I had to do it. I was in final negociations for a caddy CTS-V when I saw this. Thought I was gonna have a car with a back seat. Oh well, kids can take the bus.

03snakenvtn

Established Member
Congrats on your new 03. Yep, clutch is a bit stiff, but easy to live with.

Yes, the sound of a turbo spooling up sounds a little better to me:burnout:

A turbo spooling up is definitely better, but the instant boost of the supercharger makes up for it. And yes, the clutch is a lot stiffer than most cars, but most cars don't make over 400hp w/ intake/exhaust, so the clutch is justified. After driving cars w/ stiff clutches, I find it easier to drive because the clutch won't feel like jello after running it hard like it softer clutch cars, it'll always solid.

RoadRash

Established Member
I had a 99 Cobra for 7 years before it was totaled (another story) .. but I don't think the clutch in my 03 is any stiffer than a new edge. My 99 had the stock clutch with 118k miles on it and a squealing TOB .. lol

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
Have fun! I had a 01' also before I got the 03' and youll be driving that car with a smile on your face for months before you get over the power.

Users who are viewing this thread