Another one (93 Cobra) bites the dust....

SVT Fun

Established Member
These 93 Cobras are so picked over, 13 years down the road, one must wonder how many are even original. Ridiculously absurd how individuals butcher these numbered cars. Personally talked to some owners that have more non-Cobra than 93 Cobra specific parts on the car now. The value is trashed at this point. From a pure collector's standpoint, a true collector wouldn't pay $5,000 for these butchered 93 Cobras. In reality, a true, pure collector would chuckle, walk right on by and think you're fatuously insane to hack a numbered car to pieces for the sake of dyno horsepower figures, "going faster", or any of the like.

If butchering a car to pieces and making the most amount of horsepower is the end goal, then buy a 4 cylinder Mustang and hack it to oblivion. How the heck does 500 plus horsepower benefit anyone on the street? It won't hook in any of the first three gears on street tires. Yeah, sure, it's a daily driver, right.

At the end of the day real aficionados are just thankful the gearheads lacking the sense to butcher a 4 cylinder or other non numbered GT car are making their cars worth more.

Naja

cobra keeper
Established Member
:poke:

I enjoy looking at my cobra but I REALLY enjoy driving it, especially now!

Ultimately I would like to own a few 93 cobras. A modified one to enjoy driving and a stock one to let appreciate.

The way I look at it, I could die tomorrow. Today I am having fun! :beer:

bat-stang

The REAL Dark Knight
Established Member
There are still cars for the PURE COLLECTOR out there. Fact of the matter is, most PURE COLLECTORS don't drive their cars very often. Most of us, however, do. I personally appreciate your insight and the opportunity to have a view into the mindset of the PURE COLLECTOR (if you are, of course, a PURE COLLECTOR). I, however, can appreciate the PURE COLLECTOR and the cars he collects in the condition that they are in. it is the great PURE COLLECTOR, who lets us remember what our cars used to look like. It is wonderful to have a valuable automobile, but to some the value is ownership and drivership, not resale.

500 hundred horsepower may not do anyone any good on the street, but 235ish doesn't do you much better in your living room (talk about hooking on the street--how much less on the tile). :D

Once again, thank you for your insight and your open mindedness.

Peace
Batman

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
bat-stang said:
500 hundred horsepower may not do anyone any good on the street, but 235ish doesn't do you much better in your living room (talk about hooking on the street--how much less on the tile). :D

That is the best comment ever and I couldn't agree with it more!!

Resto mod is already getting higher in price than some original cars. I guess because there are more enthusiast then hard core collectors these days

Naja

cobra keeper
Established Member
SVT Fun said:
How the heck does 500 plus horsepower benefit anyone on the street? It won't hook in any of the first three gears on street tires.

I get from point A to point B really fast!! And the car looks and sounds great to!!! Ever heard of drag radials?

sm1993svtblk

Established Member
40 years down the road a 93 Cobra is gonna be worth a mint no matter if its all stock or a modified 500hp drag car. Its just like a Boss 302 now. They are bringing stupid money. I have 2 93's, one is mostly stock and the other is an Outlaw roller. I guarantee the roller would easily bring 15-18k still today. I've owned other stock ones and built ones, salvage titled ones and clean titled ones. Its peoples own opinion on how they want their cars to be.

Sorry thats my 2cents.

Scott

PJM99

Established Member
40 Years down the road, probably very few of these cars will be original. I'm sure that most if not all will need some sort of restoration work done to them. Might as well enjoy them now. I'm only against hacking them up, wrecking them, or stealing them. A nice clean modded cars, that are done right and not half-assed are cool. Honestly, I haven't really seen any of that on this forum with these cars. I have seen it done to other mustangs though. I think 93 Cobra owners are a rare breed.

CO9B3RA

Established Member
I'm very lucky AND happy to have my stock, low miled '93 Teal. :thumbsup:

Weekend driving with "only" 235ish HP is more than enough temptation for me....when you don't frequent drag strips, et al, highway/street speeding tickets are getting rather expensive when you add the jumps in insurance rates they cause! :shrug:
:coolman:

Last edited:

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
CO9B3RA said:
I'm very lucky AND happy to have my stock, low miled '93 Teal. :thumbsup:

Weekend driving with "only" 235ish HP is more than enough temptation for me....when you don't frequent drag strips, et al, highway/street speeding tickets are getting rather expensive when you add the jumps in insurance rates they cause! :shrug:
:coolman:

that's cool. I respect that if that is what you want. I just don't care for those who come on here starting crap because I choose to enjoy mine with 500rwhp (afterall, this is a performance based website)

fivestangs

Established Member
I bought my car new back in '93 to be a daily driver, and she was for 3 years until some POS tried to steal her. Since then, yeah, she's pretty much been a garage queen/ weekend cruiser. Started doing the normal bolt-ons, put a little powerdyne blower on, LCAs for traction, stuff like that. I guess I finally "deflowered" her when I <GASP> welded in the subframe connectors and then, again, <GASP> when I had the rollbar welded in. At the time I thought to myself "self...you KNOW this is going to hurt it's 'collectors status'... HAHAHAHAHAH!!" My philosophy is: I own my car, my car doesn't OWN ME ! If I was looking for an investment, I sure as hell wouldn't think it'd be my car. Anyway...the way I figure it...in 20-30 years, even my "hacked up" non-100%-original 1993 Cobra will still be worth $$$ to somebody, but I won't care cuz I'm still not going to sell.

Mark

1BAD93SVT

Established Member
SVT Fun said:
These 93 Cobras are so picked over, 13 years down the road, one must wonder how many are even original. Ridiculously absurd how individuals butcher these numbered cars. Personally talked to some owners that have more non-Cobra than 93 Cobra specific parts on the car now. The value is trashed at this point. From a pure collector's standpoint, a true collector wouldn't pay $5,000 for these butchered 93 Cobras. In reality, a true, pure collector would chuckle, walk right on by and think you're fatuously insane to hack a numbered car to pieces for the sake of dyno horsepower figures, "going faster", or any of the like.

If butchering a car to pieces and making the most amount of horsepower is the end goal, then buy a 4 cylinder Mustang and hack it to oblivion. How the heck does 500 plus horsepower benefit anyone on the street? It won't hook in any of the first three gears on street tires. Yeah, sure, it's a daily driver, right.

At the end of the day real aficionados are just thankful the gearheads lacking the sense to butcher a 4 cylinder or other non numbered GT car are making their cars worth more.

so let me guess, you don't own a cobra and are jealous b/c you can't afford one. and, one you see a nice one with upgraded wheels and brakes, you get mad b/c you can't have one. you should buy all the non modded cobra's and keep them so none of us mod them.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
I guess you will really be outraged when I drop an Alum. headed 331 in my higher mile 93R...do I care? Nope its my car and I will modify it to my liking. Sometimes I think its fun just to see the purist cringe.

I'm all for keeping a car nice and original looking.... but I really enjoy driving and modifying all my cars. Anything I do will be tasteful, easily reversable and all parts are always kept in storage. Hell I even still have the original date coded plug wires and shocks/struts off my '84GT from 15 years ago.

Ninesecsnake

Boost Addict
Established Member
Your making me feel so bad about putting this in my car...

134479346.jpg

But I think I'll get over it!! :-D

The way I look at it, I paid for it, I'll do what I want with it. I only wish I could put all of these new goodies in a virgin 93.

Last edited:

svtdriven

Established Member
I'd be interested to see if this thread starter even comes back to comment.

the way I look at it, nothing lasts forever. and the enjoyment value and memories take more priority than the value of the vehicle.

I wouldn't mind having another 93 cobra, one with low miles and totally original to drive around as a direct comparrison to the modded car I am driving now, but thats about it. everyone is modding cobras, from 93 to 04, people are enjoying them for what they are and what they can do with them.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Ninesecsnake said:
Your making me feel so bad about putting this in my car...

134479346.jpg

But I think I'll get over it!! :-D

The way I look at it, I paid for it, I'll do what I want with it. I only wish I could put all of these new goodies in a virgin 93.

That is going to be cool!!!

Users who are viewing this thread