Another one bites the dust! RIP Island Dragway

BearLy Legal

1993 #4118 & 2000 #4404
Established Member
Where i did most of my runs. A really cool track with an old school feel and not as commercial as E-Town. But for $20 you could run as much as you want. Maybe that led to the downfall but it is sad. My father used to run there back in the day too. It sucks that these tracks are dying. R.I.P Island.

New Jersey’s Historic Island Dragway Closes | Dragzine

Last edited:

MACHXLR8

Third Member
Established Member
Its NJ..what did you expect. I am sure some big developer wants the land to build even more houses on so he can sell them for a million a piece and the state can charge $20K a year for taxes.

byeofcr

Established Member
My buddies and i were talking bout this the other day.
****ing shame. Alot of history there. Garlits 200mph pass etc,
There was alot that went into the closing. The town wants the land to be developed. Noise complaints, lack of funds, i heard the owners wanted out and on and on. I really got to like island. It wasnt the greatest, track prep.. Pff lol but it was fun. It had an old school feel. Ill always remember just hot lapping my 97 cobra. Grab the slip and get right back down the track without even stopping in the lanes.
I still have my 100mph club sticker on my toolbox lol. RIP island dragway
Back to etown i go. 1.5 hour ride, 30 bucks, lucky if you make 2 passes. (I hear its the next on the block to go)

Last edited by a moderator:

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
I live 5 minutes from Island. It's been on it's way out for the last few years. I was surprised it lasted this long as they were losing money every year.

BearLy Legal

1993 #4118 & 2000 #4404
Established Member
Yea still sucks tho. I think we all knew it was going to close eventually but its still sad to see it happen. Track prep and spill cleanup we're stuck in the sixties just like the feel of the track. I dont think the owner was really into the culture though and just didn't invest in the track. They never really advertised or tried to improve it. Just sad to see another piece of history and another place to go close down

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
Wow and I just Hurd Atco got sold this week

Atco will be fine. This is from their FB yesterday:

"Atco Raceway Sold

Atco, NJ Wednesday December 19, 2012 –Atco Raceway was sold in its entirety to Mr. Len Capone Jr. of Berlin, New Jersey. The negotiation for the oldest continually operating drag strip on the East Coast took over 16 months and has concluded on a Win light for all…the track will continue to operate as it has in the past.

The Capone families are very familiar with the racing scene and have a great passion for the sport of drag racing. Len Capone Sr. a racer himself who was present for the 1960 opening day of Atco Raceway worked in the tech department on Memorial Day weekend. Len Capone Jr. started as a sportsman racer and is very well known for his Top Alcohol Funny Car “The Bear” that raced the strip in the late 80’s and 90’s.

Joe Sway has been retained as Director of Operations and is under exclusive contract for 2013 and 2014 with 3-1 year options to follow.

The 2013 tentative schedule will be posted on the web site AtcoRaceway.com mid January. There are no major changes to the race schedule for 2013~a couple of new races will be added but for the most part you will see our lineup has not changed.

Atco Raceway would like to thank everyone for their participation in the 2012 race season. We are positive that the continued support of all racers, fans and patrons will continue to make this a racing destination and the #1 track on the East Coast."

ninety5fiveoh

DHG FTW!
Established Member
Its NJ..what did you expect. I am sure some big developer wants the land to build even more houses on so he can sell them for a million a piece and the state can charge $20K a year for taxes.

Doubt it. It is literally on a farm in the middle of nowhere. The closest thing around is a beat old repair shop and a strip club. Island Dragway has a lot of history, but not everything is lost quite yet. My dad had been racing there years before I started, and one of his racing friends from back in the day told him there are a lot of racers interested in purchasing the track and re-opening it. All hope isn't lost yet!

My first pass ever at Island Dragway with my old '95. :beer:

launch.jpg

BearLy Legal

1993 #4118 & 2000 #4404
Established Member
lol hell, im interested in buying it too. i heard if anyone wants to buy it. they have to buy the track and land, the house where the owner lives and im sure you'd have to clean up the EPA stuff also. I hope someone does come forward and buy it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I guess the key is whether or not a buyer can turn any profit on this track. Surely sad to see it close. Sad to see ANY track close.

03Cobrra

Stroked,Screwed & Sprayed
Established Member
What a shame, never cared for that track much they were some serious ballbreakers when it came to tech.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Pretty soon, police wont be able to tell people to "take it to the track" to race, because there won't be a god damn track to take it to!

Pilks

Established Member
I was there with my 98. That place had its ups and downs. It was convenient being a short drive away.

picture2.jpg

gtcs07

Established Member
I love Island. Sad to see it go. Been racing there since I was 17. Really wanted my first 10 second pass to be there.

ScreaminRedZ

Established Member
Pretty soon, police wont be able to tell people to "take it to the track" to race, because there won't be a god damn track to take it to!

Absolutely. They make street racing out to be the biggest crime out there, while there are less and less places to race legally.

The whole Englishtown thing is retarded too. I'll move next to a track and then bitch about the noise.

MACHXLR8

Third Member
Established Member
Absolutely. They make street racing out to be the biggest crime out there, while there are less and less places to race legally.

The whole Englishtown thing is retarded too. I'll move next to a track and then bitch about the noise.

+1 man..you nailed it. All those assholes who bought those homes got them for a real good price knowing that the track was there. Now they are bitching and moaning to get rid of the track so there land value goes up. :fm:

dizzygoat

Established Member
Doubt it. It is literally on a farm in the middle of nowhere. The closest thing around is a beat old repair shop and a strip club. Island Dragway has a lot of history, but not everything is lost quite yet. My dad had been racing there years before I started, and one of his racing friends from back in the day told him there are a lot of racers interested in purchasing the track and re-opening it. All hope isn't lost yet!

My first pass ever at Island Dragway with my old '95. :beer:

launch.jpg

THis^
If they are taking bids, and the bids are open to the public I will be right in the middle of it. Im currently in the process of talking to a couple advisors and will be trying to get through to the city/county where the track is. Contacting the previous/present owners and those who have the rights is also on the list.

Users who are viewing this thread