Another SHELBY in the WORKS??? It's a Shelby GT

Amyb

*********, Shelby Autos
Established Member
Whitten said:
Hey Amy, not to derail this conversation which seems to be going so well..:D :D but I was wondering sicne we are talking about future Shelby products if Shelby will be Modifying any of the new GT-500s that are being produced or any future models?

If so what if anything can you tell us about plans for that car?

hi,

WE ARE LOOKING AT PARTS AND ACCESSORIES FOR THE gt-500, WE ARE WORKING WITH frp AND WE ARE DOING SOME OURSELVES. we are also looking at something special since the 2007 is 40th for Gt-500. We will have more info very shortly on these items.

Also, on the other question asked..... The order codes will be released as soon as we get thru EPA, then its offical.

Amy

BLUE OVAL NUT

RAGING PONYCAR DRIVER
Established Member
To what Pacotaco said about Ford not having a N/A mass production engine making 350/400/500 h.p., you are correct in the mass produced part. Ford could have used the 00 Cobra R's 5.4 L. rated @385h.p. to get the 350-400 h.p. problem solved. An i'm sure if they could increase the displacement (like GM does with the LS series) and cover the 400-500 h.p. mark. It's taking 5.7L-347c.i.d./6.0 L- 364 c.i.d & a 7.0 L- 427+c.i.d. displacements to accomplish this and Ford has only 4.6L- 281c.i.d. & 5.4 L-330 c.i.d. V-8's. I just read about the new Lexus LS460 on autoweek.com and if Toyota can get this power from a 4.6L v-8, i'm sure Ford has the ability to do the same with all the engineers under it's umbrella.Here's a line from the article:LS 460’s four-cam, 32-valve V8 displaces 4608 cc with a 94.0-mm bore and 83.0-mm stroke. Redline is 6600 rpm. Horsepower is 380 (283 kW) at 6400 rpm, torque 367 lb-ft (498 Nm) at 4100. Compression ratio is 11.8:1; Premium fuel is required.Plus looking at the compression ratio's manufacturer's are using these days Ford has a lot of untapped power due to them staying below 10.0:1.

BLUE OVAL NUT

RAGING PONYCAR DRIVER
Established Member
:read: Plus they are using a (8) speed automatic for fuel savings "YES" you read it right a EIGHT SPEED AUTOMATIC (WOW)!!!! Heres the line from the article:Transmission: Going one better on certain rivals, Lexus introduces the industry’s first eight-speed automatic transmission. Though of similar size to the outgoing six-speed, it has a lighter but stronger case and fewer internal parts; its sun gear drum and clutch are aluminum, cutting their weight in half. The torque converter also is more compact and lighter, improving acceleration. :idea:

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
BLUE OVAL NUT said:
To what Pacotaco said about Ford not having a N/A mass production engine making 350/400/500 h.p., you are correct in the mass produced part. Ford could have used the 00 Cobra R's 5.4 L. rated @385h.p. to get the 350-400 h.p. problem solved. An i'm sure if they could increase the displacement (like GM does with the LS series) and cover the 400-500 h.p. mark. It's taking 5.7L-347c.i.d./6.0 L- 364 c.i.d & a 7.0 L- 427+c.i.d. displacements to accomplish this and Ford has only 4.6L- 281c.i.d. & 5.4 L-330 c.i.d. V-8's. I just read about the new Lexus LS460 on autoweek.com and if Toyota can get this power from a 4.6L v-8, i'm sure Ford has the ability to do the same with all the engineers under it's umbrella.Here's a line from the article:LS 460’s four-cam, 32-valve V8 displaces 4608 cc with a 94.0-mm bore and 83.0-mm stroke. Redline is 6600 rpm. Horsepower is 380 (283 kW) at 6400 rpm, torque 367 lb-ft (498 Nm) at 4100. Compression ratio is 11.8:1; Premium fuel is required.Plus looking at the compression ratio's manufacturer's are using these days Ford has a lot of untapped power due to them staying below 10.0:1.

It was on the tip of my tounge....and then I read the last part of what you wrote and was glad I didn't have to go much further.

Ford has kept the Compressions on the motors down so that they can run a wider range of fuels in the mustang vs. LS series motos which require 89 at least but 93 is really the optimum choice for fuel. I was amazed at how low the compression was on my frinds 99GT. After sucking some water into the motor we replaced his internals for some with H-beam rods and flat top pistons. The change in pistons alone raised compression to 10.5:1 which was a huge jump from the stock 8.XX:1. Power was greatly increased in his little GT motor by from a measily 215 RWHP stock to a 320 RWHP.

BLUE OVAL NUT

RAGING PONYCAR DRIVER
Established Member
Whitten said:
It was on the tip of my tounge....and then I read the last part of what you wrote and was glad I didn't have to go much further.

Ford has kept the Compressions on the motors down so that they can run a wider range of fuels in the mustang vs. LS series motos which require 89 at least but 93 is really the optimum choice for fuel. I was amazed at how low the compression was on my frinds 99GT. After sucking some water into the motor we replaced his internals for some with H-beam rods and flat top pistons. The change in pistons alone raised compression to 10.5:1 which was a huge jump from the stock 8.XX:1. Power was greatly increased in his little GT motor by from a measily 215 RWHP stock to a 320 RWHP.
:thumbsup: I see great minds think alike:rockon: I look at things from all angles and then deduce my opinions accordingly.:beer:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
what does improved cams and high flow heads add to the equation? do these items also increase compression? do adding these items make the motors that much harder to through emissions control?

if the answer to the above questions are no, why does ford not offer these items for their high performance line. it seems to me that ford would have no problem getting 350-370hp out of the 4.6 3v.

back on topic i love the look of the shelby gt. i like the fact that it is a n/a street/track performer. the question that i have is will shelby's plan for the gt350 be to use the new boss motor(n/a 302 390hp) or to use some sort of blown motor instead?
if the shelby gt350 will have a s/c standard, i would rather buy a shelby gt and work with the engine. basically i am looking for a n/a car that will be near 400hp and tq with weigh around 3300lbs. :burnout:

BLUE OVAL NUT

RAGING PONYCAR DRIVER
Established Member
ON D BIT said:
what does improved cams and high flow heads add to the equation? do these items also increase compression? do adding these items make the motors that much harder to through emissions control?

if the answer to the above questions are no, why does ford not offer these items for their high performance line. it seems to me that ford would have no problem getting 350-370hp out of the 4.6 3v.

:read: Improved camshafts affects performance majorly but usually their is a trade off (IE) high lift usually has a rough idle etc. Most production camshafts have to contend with smoothness, long lasting, good emissions, good economy, good low down power for smooth easy driving in traffic. Power falls away at higher rev's but having multi-valves and combustion chambers designed to make good power helps.With small displacement great breathing cylinder heads are a must to produce horsepower.Look at the Corvette ZR-1 , it had a 5.7 L-350 c.i.d.D.O.H.C.32V and made 375-405 h.p. during the early 90's. Ford's 5.4 L. 330 c.i.d. 32V D.O.H.C.made 385+ with smaller displacement.

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
ON D BIT said:

back on topic i love the look of the shelby gt. i like the fact that it is a n/a street/track performer. the question that i have is will shelby's plan for the gt350 be to use the new boss motor(n/a 302 390hp) or to use some sort of blown motor instead?
if the shelby gt350 will have a s/c standard, i would rather buy a shelby gt and work with the engine. basically i am looking for a n/a car that will be near 400hp and tq with weigh around 3300lbs. :burnout:

As far as heads go, no, heads alone will not cause you to fail emmisions an aggressive cam profile might but having a more aggresive cam pass emmisions has been done the right and legal way in the past.

Could Ford make alot more power out of the 4.6 3V yes...but at a higher cost. To make power out of that motor you would need to clean and polish the heads i.e. combustion chambers and intake runners and exhaust outlets.. Next it would take all new valves, springs and retainers along with a more aggressive cam profile 224-224 112LSA(LS motor common cam) and or something like that. Already you have a great deal of expense wrapped into the motor. The next thing to make the motor capable is lighten the rotating assymbly then also have stronger higher compression pistons put in. Finally after doing this you would need to revise your cooling system, completely retune the computer and knock sensors.....

At any rate there is quite a bit that can be done to the motor but in the end it is easier and more cost effective to put FI on the car.

I would love to see Ford release some factory worked over 3V motors just to see what kind of number they could bump them to, but I just don't see them changing the engines to terribly much seeing as how they are selling so well as is.

Last edited:

BLUE OVAL NUT

RAGING PONYCAR DRIVER
Established Member
:bowdown: Good information :idea: plus the mustang is the only vehicle utilizing a performance version of this engine. The general uses high performance versions in several models.So the cost is slit up with various cars/trucks so improved performance is cost efficient.

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Whitten said:
At any rate there is quite a bit that can be done to the motor but in the end it is easier and more cost effective to put FI on the car.

I would love to see Ford release some factory worked over 3V motors just to see what kind of number they could bump them to, but I just don't see them changing the engines to terribly much seeing as how they are selling so well as is.

thanks for all the info whitten and blue oval nut. i have yet to do research on the matter in qeustion though i have looked at shm website, and have posed the question to fourcam.

shm mustang gt is putting out 380hp 400tq crank is something that i would like to do with the shelby gt power wise. and from what i have heard it does not take much to get a mustang gt down to 3300lb or lighter as well. these are the numbers i would be looking if i purchase a shelby gt for weekend car with occasional trip to the track.
a project like this would be very fun to do, as well as educational. but i am thinking now it might be less expensive to get the new crate boss engine when it comes out and add intake, and longtubes to that motor. decisions decisions?:D :shrug::beer:

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
ON D BIT said:
thanks for all the info whitten and blue oval nut. i have yet to do research on the matter in qeustion though i have looked at shm website, and have posed the question to fourcam.

shm mustang gt is putting out 380hp 400tq crank is something that i would like to do with the shelby gt power wise. and from what i have heard it does not take much to get a mustang gt down to 3300lb or lighter as well. these are the numbers i would be looking if i purchase a shelby gt for weekend car with occasional trip to the track.
a project like this would be very fun to do, as well as educational. but i am thinking now it might be less expensive to get the new crate boss engine when it comes out and add intake, and longtubes to that motor. decisions decisions?:D :shrug::beer:

I was thinking almost the same thing but with a regular GT. I'd order it with the FRPP drag pack and handling pack. Then add longtubes, x pipe, cat back, cams, ported heads from Boss 330 racing, plus a tune to make it all work. Next, light weight wheels, OEM style carbon fiber hood and trunk lid (painted body color so it doesn't look ricer), and rear seat delete.

MYSTCHRM

Established Member
Thought I would give Amy some feedback. If I were in the market for a Shelby GT, here is what I would like to see aside from any performance options and those options already stated.

• The GT500 has vinyl stripes and the way Ford has applied them, with all due respect to those who have a GT500, look hidious. They overlap in locations that grab your eye and give a pronounced raised look. Since Ford isn't building the car, I'd like to see seamless stripes. In a perfect world, they would be painted on, but I would settle for seamless stripes.

• In the rear of the car where you see the GT logo and 'FORD' lettering (the fake gas cap), I'd like ot see a special logo such as the one on the CS 6.

• I'd like to see a Shelby logo or Carroll Shelby signature embroidered into the seat backing. Something along the lines of the SVT Cobra logo on 01-04 SVT Cobra's.

• This may be asking for much, but I think it is doable. In 1999, Ford had a package for those who purchased the Limited Edition 35th Anniversary that contained a 1:18 diecast model, cd holder, key chain, and a few other items. It would be great if Shelby created diecast models of the cars in their true colors and provided one to those who actually purchased the car.

• For 07, Ford offers heated and powered passenger/driver seats. Shelby should also carry this option.

• Last but not least, get rid of the Ford GT fender badges and use a Shelby logo (not a snake).

Those are the things that would be on my wish list for the Shelby GT.

Last edited by a moderator:

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
809 said:
Thought I would give Amy some feedback. If I were in the market for a Shelby GT, here is what I would like to see aside from any performance options and those options already stated.

• The GT500 has vinyl stripes and the way Ford has applied them, with all due respect to those who have a GT500, look hidious. They overlap in locations that grab your eye and give a pronounced raised look. Since Ford isn't building the car, I'd like to see seamless stripes. In a perfect world, they would be painted on, but I would settle for seamless stripes.

• In the rear of the car where you see the GT logo and 'FORD' lettering (the fake gas cap), I'd like ot see a special logo such as the one on the CS 6.

• I'd like to see a Shelby logo or Carroll Shelby signature embroidered into the seat backing. Something along the lines of the SVT Cobra logo on 01-04 SVT Cobra's.

• This may be asking for much, but I think it is doable. In 1999, Ford had a package for those who purchased the Limited Edition 35th Anniversary that contained a 1:18 diecast model, cd holder, key chain, and a few other items. It would be great if Shelby created diecast models of the cars in their true colors and provided one to those who actually purchased the car.

• For 07, Ford offers heated and powered passenger/driver seats. Shelby should also carry this option.

• Last but not least, get rid of the Ford GT fender badges and use a Shelby logo (not a snake).

Those are the things that would be on my wish list for the Shelby GT.

+1 :)

Except for the diecast model, don't need the dealer trying to tack on an ADM to that too. :lol1:

Joe Frito

Mustang Freak
Established Member
N/a 5.4

I didn't see this posted on this thread yet, but Ford Australia uses a version on the '00 Cobra R engine in a few of their FPV (SVT down under) vehicles, and it is rated at 380hp and caled the Boss 5.4L. Ford could easily use this engine if they wanted to, and I'm not sure why they haven't yet.

MYSTCHRM

Established Member
I believe they are going to use that motor on the BOSS edition. I also think the hp is closer to 390hp -- not that it matters.

chuckstang

Established Member
a 400 hp mustang n/a would def fit the bill for those looking for na power with a price between 30 and 40
but I still hope they build the 5.0 cammer motor like saleen did!!! a true boss 302 mmmmmmm

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
if my opinion counts the look of the car is perfect as is. i would buy this car before the gt500. the drivetrain is a cam and hi flow heads away from perfect. but hey i need to have to some fun making it my own once i get the car.

any truth to the rumor that the hood has a template to use to make the scoop functional? that would be way cool!:coolman: :D

look familiar?

Last edited:

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
ON D BIT said:
if my opinion counts the look of the car is perfect as is. i would buy this car before the gt500. the drivetrain is a cam and hi flow heads away from perfect. but hey i need to have to some fun making it my own once i get the car.

any truth to the rumor that the hood has a template to use to make the scoop functional? that would be way cool!:coolman: :D

look familiar?

AmyB confirmed that a template will be offered for customers to make the hood scoop functional. On a side note, I just saw Ford Racing has a new set of high flow heads for the 3V on their site. It would be nice to see these heads offered as an option..............hint hint hint :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread