Another SHELBY in the WORKS??? It's a Shelby GT

2-slow

Say what?
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Not sure you guys would be willing to pay the price? My guess? $80k (min) sans IRS. :(
Your right but I just wish they could produce a car to compete. The Ford GT beats the vette barely and the first Shelby's were built with vette killing in mind. I know times have changed and prices for cars are through the roof but why can Ford not build a Stang to compete with the Vette performance wise and price wise?:shrug: :(

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
2-slow said:
Your right but I just wish they could produce a car to compete. The Ford GT beats the vette barely and the first Shelby's were built with vette killing in mind. I know times have changed and prices for cars are through the roof but why can Ford not build a Stang to compete with the Vette performance wise and price wise?:shrug: :(

Even though the Mustang and Corvette have never been competing car lines, lots of people expect them to be?

Back in the good old days, (60's) Carroll Shelby had an idea and the auto industry was much more flexible than it is today. He said to Ford "give me cars to modify" and the rest is history. Remember, back at this time, seat belts had only become standard equipment a year or so earlier! :idea:

Right now, auto safety is completely and totally through the roof as far as standards and testing go. Today, you just can't do the things that were done 40 years ago. :(

There is NOBODY on this board that would want a C-6 Z06 killer more than me! Trust me! I can pass most, if not all C5-Z06's even with pretty good drivers in them. But even a marginal driver in a C6-Z06 owns me! :cryying:

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

2-slow

Say what?
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Even though the Mustang and Corvette have never been competing car lines, lots of people expect them to be?

Back in the good old days, (60's) Carroll Shelby had an idea and the auto industry was much more flexible than it is today. He said to Ford "give me cars to modify" and the rest is history. Remember, back at this time, seat belts had only become standard equipment a year or so earlier! :idea:

Right now, auto safety is completely and totally through the roof as far as standards and testing go. Today, you just can't do the things that were done 40 years ago. :(

There is NOBODY on this board that would want a C-6 Z06 killer more than me! Trust me! I can pass most, if not all C5-Z06's even with pretty good drivers in them. But even a marginal driver in a C6-Z06 owns me! :cryying:

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:
I see your point for sure. Guess we can keep hoping for Ford to surprise us. Maybe a remake of the original Cobra like the concept they made awhile back? That would be killer.:-D

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member

tvguy

Didn't numerous mags compare the Mustang vs. the Vette in the 1980's and low 90's? I'm pretty sure they did. In fact if I look I believe I have an 87 5.0 vs.an 87 Vette Motortrend issue. And a few others for various years. The mags compared them all the time back then. Why the whining now that they shouldn't compete? Is the Mustang and their owners now pussiefied? What gives? This whining needs to stop.
pacotaco

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
2-slow said:
This is my only plea to Amy.....

Can we PLEASE have the corvette killer back?!

the vette is a one off car. meaning its designed and engineered ground up to be the best performing car that it can be. only limitations are money and technology.

the mustang has always been based off another car/chasis. the current mustangs platform is better, but there is still no way in which a modified mazda platform can compete with a one off sports coupe.

2-slow

Say what?
Established Member
ON D BIT said:
the vette is a one off car. meaning its designed and engineered ground up to be the best performing car that it can be. only limitations are money and technology.

the mustang has always been based off another car/chasis. the current mustangs platform is better, but there is still no way in which a modified mazda platform can compete with a one off sports coupe.
Yeah I started to realize that after I posted. The more I thought about it another one off car like the Ford GT needs so come out to battle the upcoming Vette. *cough* old shelby cobra *cough*:-D

JETSOLVER

Where is Coletti?
Established Member
ON D BIT said:

So could this be done for about 70k? http://media.ford.com/newsroom/feature_display.cfm?release=19670 "The GR-1 running prototype, on display at the 2005 North American International Auto Show, reaches closer to reality with a 605-horsepower, 390-cubic-inch all-aluminum V-10 engine, a road-tested version of the Ford GT suspension and a stunning new polished-aluminum body." I really doubt that they could do a roadster without having to do a soft top as well. That might be a $ issue....

Last edited:

2-slow

Say what?
Established Member
JETSOLVER said:
So could this be done for about 70k? http://media.ford.com/newsroom/feature_display.cfm?release=19670 "The GR-1 running prototype, on display at the 2005 North American International Auto Show, reaches closer to reality with a 605-horsepower, 390-cubic-inch all-aluminum V-10 engine, a road-tested version of the Ford GT suspension and a stunning new polished-aluminum body."
YES! That or this:

Ford_Shelby_Cobra_concept_2.jpg

tvguy

Sorry to thread crap in my last post, but also, why is everyone into a N/A vehicle? The 03/04 SVT engines were superior to the Mach 1's. Just want to know why all the love for an N/A? Cost maybe? Personal opinion is there's nothing better than a "blown" car. But that's just me. Just want thoughts on the N/A engine worshipers. Not being negative, just curious.
pacotaco

Captain Beyond

Established Member
pacotaco said:
Didn't numerous mags compare the Mustang vs. the Vette in the 1980's and low 90's? I'm pretty sure they did. In fact if I look I believe I have an 87 5.0 vs.an 87 Vette Motortrend issue. And a few others for various years. The mags compared them all the time back then. Why the whining now that they shouldn't compete? Is the Mustang and their owners now pussiefied? What gives? This whining needs to stop.
pacotaco

That's because the 5.0 Mustangs were handing the Camaros their ass. :-D
The Buick GNs and Vettes made it more interesting.

JETSOLVER

Where is Coletti?
Established Member
pacotaco said:
Sorry to thread crap in my last post, but also, why is everyone into a N/A vehicle? The 03/04 SVT engines were superior to the Mach 1's. Just want to know why all the love for an N/A? Cost maybe? Personal opinion is there's nothing better than a "blown" car. But that's just me. Just want thoughts on the N/A engine worshipers. Not being negative, just curious.
pacotaco
Myself speaking, its a matter of having to work a little harder to get a number out of a N/A engine. I want Ford to remember they are an inovation/engineering company, and that is what gets the most stretch in bang for the buck over an entire model line. The history of the MOD series was that the truck folks came up with the design brief, the car guys picked a number and SVT maxed the original concept out in the 96-98 COBRA's. And, Yes the engine came to have even more performance in later years, but the basic design came from that original max effort. And B4 the Term. guys rip my E-head off, you all know that the original TEKSID block would have held up to the boost, it was dropped as a cost measure. Right....?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
pacotaco said:
pacotaco

first off i like the sound of a n/a high lope v8 or v12. when you add the blower it you get a weak whine sound. personal taste.
second i like the fact of actually building an engine with alluminum to keep weight down specially in front. thats why i like the mach 1 engine better than the 03 mustang svt.
third in a n/a application power is constant unlike the blown application. ever wonder why you dont see blower on race cars? s/c creates extra heat, and then they dont work when there is too much heat. heat soaked engines will not help you.

Captain Beyond

Established Member
ON D BIT said:
ever wonder why you dont see blower on race cars? s/c creates extra heat, and then they dont work when there is too much heat. heat soaked engines will not help you.

Aren't funnycar/top fuel engines blown?

Last edited:

Captain Beyond

Established Member
JETSOLVER said:
Myself speaking, its a matter of having to work a little harder to get a number out of a N/A engine. I want Ford to remember they are an inovation/engineering company, and that is what gets the most stretch in bang for the buck over an entire model line. The history of the MOD series was that the truck folks came up with the design brief, the car guys picked a number and SVT maxed the original concept out in the 96-98 COBRA's. And, Yes the engine came to have even more performance in later years, but the basic design came from that original max effort. And B4 the Term. guys rip my E-head off, you all know that the original TEKSID block would have held up to the boost, it was dropped as a cost measure. Right....?

Keep in mind what Ford has to work with. A 4.6/5.4 will not yield comparible N/A hp #s as the competitor's larger displacement engines. It's helluva lot easier to make hp with more cubes. Imagine if Ford had decided to develope the 5.8 (Windsor) instead of the mod motors. I think we would be seeing comparible N/A hp #s to that of GM's LSx series engines.

Last edited:

tvguy

ON D BIT said:
first off i like the sound of a n/a high lope v8 or v12. when you add the blower it you get a weak whine sound. personal taste.
second i like the fact of actually building an engine with alluminum to keep weight down specially in front. thats why i like the mach 1 engine better than the 03 mustang svt.
third in a n/a application power is constant unlike the blown application. ever wonder why you dont see blower on race cars? s/c creates extra heat, and then they dont work when there is too much heat. heat soaked engines will not help you.

Thanks for the response. However, I have to ask about "building an engine with aluminum"? IF another "shelby" came out that was N/A, what exactly would you be buidling? You'd do the normal bolt ons like the rest of planet earth, and then maybe add a cam or intake. But that's hardly "buidling" anything. That's "adding", and NOT buidling. Then add a blower to an inferior "blower ready" engine and you have recipe for disaster. Thanks for the comments though. I just didn't get the huge pro N/A, and now I do. Kind of.
pacotaco

Users who are viewing this thread