Another Terminator Clone Build Thread

Bullitt1448

Established Member
I'll do a little bit of background to start. Boring stuff so feel free to skip this part. I bought the Bullitt new back in 2001, it was my daily at the time, traded in a 1990 GT on it also bought new back in the day. I am 68, retired, spent my career as a heavy duty tech mostly trucks and buses.
Somewhere back in 2006 I crashed the Bullit, not seriously but enough there is an accident on the cars record so any value as an original was out the window so I started considering moding it. we had just bought a house, and were struggling a little so the budget for the car was pretty low and I was still using it as a daily so the mods had to wait but I did start slowly aquiring some parts and I squirreled them away for "one day".
Fast forward to 2017, we had paid off the house and had a few bucks in the bank at this point so we decided to build a house, bought a piece of property, got together with a builder and laid out the plans for the house. and a shop for me to actually tear into the car. Well, things took another turn, a couple of days before we were due to sign for the house build, I was diagnosed with cancer. Something called Multiple Myeloma, not curable but controlable according to the Dr. We cancelled the house build and were in limbo for quite awhile with me on Chemo, I felt like crap most of the time so didn't get much done on virtually anything, 2018 we decided we should look for a new house so if anything happened to me, the wife wouldn't have the maintenance of an older place. we found a nice place about 250 miles away so we packed up and moved. New house is just your basic suburban place with a 2 car garage, ball park 400 sq ft, enough but it's tight to work on the car. By the time we got settled, another couple of years rolled by and then car was just sitting. The pandemic rolls around and now being immuno compromised due to the cancer, I basiclly didn't want to be out and about much so I spent a lot of time on the internet looking at and ordering parts. One day in 2022 I got the the urge to actually start doing something with the car. so I tore into it, and that where we are going to start with this. Here’s a pic of what I started with. a pretty much bone stock Bullitt.

Attachments

• IMG_0266.jpeg
    IMG_0266.jpeg
    381.9 KB · Views: 246

04Mike55

Established Member
I'll do a little bit of background to start. Boring stuff so feel free to skip this part. I bought the Bullitt new back in 2001, it was my daily at the time, traded in a 1990 GT on it also bought new back in the day. I am 68, retired, spent my career as a heavy duty tech mostly trucks and buses.
Somewhere back in 2006 I crashed the Bullit, not seriously but enough there is an accident on the cars record so any value as an original was out the window so I started considering moding it. we had just bought a house, and were struggling a little so the budget for the car was pretty low and I was still using it as a daily so the mods had to wait but I did start slowly aquiring some parts and I squirreled them away for "one day".
Fast forward to 2017, we had paid off the house and had a few bucks in the bank at this point so we decided to build a house, bought a piece of property, got together with a builder and laid out the plans for the house. and a shop for me to actually tear into the car. Well, things took another turn, a couple of days before we were due to sign for the house build, I was diagnosed with cancer. Something called Multiple Myeloma, not curable but controlable according to the Dr. We cancelled the house build and were in limbo for quite awhile with me on Chemo, I felt like crap most of the time so didn't get much done on virtually anything, 2018 we decided we should look for a new house so if anything happened to me, the wife wouldn't have the maintenance of an older place. we found a nice place about 250 miles away so we packed up and moved. New house is just your basic suburban place with a 2 car garage, ball park 400 sq ft, enough but it's tight to work on the car. By the time we got settled, another couple of years rolled by and then car was just sitting. The pandemic rolls around and now being immuno compromised due to the cancer, I basiclly didn't want to be out and about much so I spent a lot of time on the internet looking at and ordering parts. One day in 2022 I got the the urge to actually start doing something with the car. so I tore into it, and that where we are going to start with this. Here’s a pic of what I started with. a pretty much bone stock Bullitt.
I hope your health is under control.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Finally got a direction sorted out in my head, put some Scot Rod panels in. The car had a bend in the rad support. I hummed and hawed about getting a new rad support but in the end I decided to get a tubular one from MAF Racing, I like this one, both these guys have great products. As you can see the car is pretty much stripped at this point

Attachments

• IMG_4283.jpeg
    IMG_4283.jpeg
    346.2 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_4284.jpeg
    IMG_4284.jpeg
    370.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 67600105978__E7654956-0EFD-404F-9E72-CF7F79DB2E9E.jpeg
    67600105978__E7654956-0EFD-404F-9E72-CF7F79DB2E9E.jpeg
    369.2 KB · Views: 95

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
What's the point of turning a Bullitt intto a Cobra clone? Why not just use the whole Cobra drivetrain and keep the Bullitt stock on the exterior

Last edited:

Bullitt1448

Established Member
What's the point of turning a Bullitt I to a Cobra clone? Why not just use the whole Cobra drivetrain and keep the Bullitt stock on the exterior
I never liked the GT/Bullitt fake hood scoop, much preferred the cobra rear bumoper cover over the stock GT one and I was concerned about getting enough air flow through the front to supprt the cooling of the whippled 4V. I live in an area that gets to be 100F on the summer. After the accident I had with the car there was no advantage to keep it stock looking

Bullitt1448

Established Member
While it was in the body shop we got rid of the fake plastic side scoops and filled it in with real metal. I don’t like things that look like they should do something but serve no practical purpose. Like I mentioned above the fake hood scoop had to go. The plastic things on the side bugged me too so they were deleted too. Also shaved the antenna hole and had him fill in the holes in the front fenders where the GT emblems used to be we filled in the door lock hole in the driver’s door, the only operating key lock on the car will be in the trunk. I did consider getting rid of that too but decided I needed at least one way to get in if the battery dies. I originally wanted to shave the door handles but after doing a little digging I found that a lot of folks have issues with the solenoids so I decided to go with Kindig style door handles.

Attachments

• IMG_4362.jpeg
    IMG_4362.jpeg
    336.4 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_4365.jpeg
    IMG_4365.jpeg
    333.9 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_4364.jpeg
    IMG_4364.jpeg
    315.4 KB · Views: 97

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Getting a little ahead of myself here, before it went to the body shop I cleaned up underneath, wire wheeled as much as I could, welded in some Stifflers sub frame connectors and the FIT system then painted underneath with epoxy primer. Sorry no pics of that, I was up against the clock to get it to the body guy.

Users who are viewing this thread