Any Dremel users here?

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
It's time i toss my old black and decker rtx out. It's dieing. I'm going to pick up a Dremel to replace it due to the products are easy to find etc.

Which kits do you guys recommend to get? I also see there's different types of models out there. It will be used for small jobs around the house. I very seldom use mine since i got out of the R/C car hobby years ago but with the new house almost done, i feel ill need one.

I see there's also a cordless version as well.

Also i meant which dremel version to kit. The accessories are unique to what i will do with it so advice isnt need. At least i think it isnt. Things like the flex shaft or drive press doesnt interest me. i had the flex shaft on my rtx. Never used it much.

oldmodman

Established Member
I have a 35 year old Dremel plug in the wall MotoTool. Still works just fine since i replaced the brushes.

but if I was ever going to get another it would be the new Li-Ion powered portable model. If I am near my shop I almost always grab an air powered cut off tool. or an AC sander/grinder.

The Dremel would be useful to take in an 'away" toolbox.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Dremel here for r/c use and around the house use. I have the 3000 series and so far its been flawless for 3-4 years that i have had it. Only gripes are the cord is too short and the case is too small to hold all the attachements. Use it 3-4 times a month to do everything from cutting to sanding.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I'm with the 4000, I can see cordless tools being handy but I always find my self with a dying battery. Like the OP I had an RTX for awhile before my Dremel . It was nice but didn't seem to have the same quality, didn't last too long.

Last edited:

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
i have the cordless version. its great. it has great battery life and has led indicators on the front letting you know how much juice you have left. it also charges pretty quickly as well. i dont always have power available (or convenient) when i need to use it so it really comes in handy. well worth if you are going to be using it often.

its died on me while using it before because i wasnt paying attention to the juice left. this has only happened a couple of times. i just toss it on the charger and work on something else till its ready again.

einehund

Established Member
I have a cordless one and I ended up buying a corded one later because the battery would just wear down too fast.

VA-Mach1

Established Member
Another rc'er/use the dremel for everything here. I have a plug-in and a cordless. 99% of the time I use the plug-in because the cordless lacks power, speed adjustability, and the battery does not last very long. I just grab a extension cord when I have to go more than 4ft.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Another rc'er/use the dremel for everything here. I have a plug-in and a cordless. 99% of the time I use the plug-in because the cordless lacks power, speed adjustability, and the battery does not last very long. I just grab a extension cord when I have to go more than 4ft.

you must have a weak cordless. mine has a ton of power and adjustability and the battery lasts quite a long time

this is the one i have
http://www.dremel.com/en-us/tools/pages/tooldetail.aspx?pid=8200#.VIdAcMvQM5s

it is a little pricey though
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dremel-1...-Cordless-Rotary-Tool-Kit-8220-1-28/203830527

VA-Mach1

Established Member
you must have a weak cordless. mine has a ton of power and adjustability and the battery lasts quite a long time

this is the one i have
http://www.dremel.com/en-us/tools/pages/tooldetail.aspx?pid=8200#.VIdAcMvQM5s

it is a little pricey though
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dremel-1...-Cordless-Rotary-Tool-Kit-8220-1-28/203830527

Yup. Mine only has a off/ high/ low setting. I'm sure yours works great. But as with any battery operated item, after a year or two the batteries will continue to degrade.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Yup. Mine only has a off/ high/ low setting. I'm sure yours works great. But as with any battery operated item, after a year or two the batteries will continue to degrade.

we'll see. i use lithium powered drills and impact drivers and theyre still going strong after a couple of years. but i wouldnt expect them to last forever. although, my original corded one was used a lot less and took a crap on me lol.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I have an older mini cordless dremel that i've used for tinkering, 5k and 10k rpm. Then I have a corded dremel that goes up to 30K? I think for when I really need to mangle something.

Get one, you'll love it. If you can get a cordless one then i'd do that!

Users who are viewing this thread