Any issues transplanting a 2013-2014 GT 500 engine into a 2007 GT500?

marsh2o

Established Member
Are there any issues associated with transplanting a 5.8 from a 2013-2014 GT500 into a 2007 GT500, if I strip off all the 2013-2014 electronics from the later block and install it with the 2007 controls? Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

marsh2o

Established Member
This doesn't sound right
better off just buying a 13/14
I would, if the budget wasn't a constraint. But if I can pick up a low milage salvage yard 5.8, it will save a ton of money in comparison to buying a 13/14 outright. Besides, I bought my 2007 new and there is an emotional component to refurbishing and updating it (i.e., suspension, brakes, wheels and tires, etc.) -- changes I'd also want to make to any 13/14, if I had the bucks.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I would, if the budget wasn't a constraint. But if I can pick up a low milage salvage yard 5.8, it will save a ton of money in comparison to buying a 13/14 outright. Besides, I bought my 2007 new and there is an emotional component to refurbishing and updating it (i.e., suspension, brakes, wheels and tires, etc.) -- changes I'd also want to make to any 13/14, if I had the bucks.

After thinking about it, people bore out 5.4's all the time to a 5.8.
Apologies for my initial post
I was thinking a 5.8 into a 5.0 Mustang.

I would think ya, in theory wouldn't it drop right in?
However, what is the boneyard wanting for their 5.8 motor?
Used motors and blowers are items I steer clear of

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I love my 07s body over the 13/14 personally. Im one of those weirdos. Id love to have a trinity motor in it and everything else from a 13/14. A condor that identifies as a trinity lol

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Are there any issues associated with transplanting a 5.8 from a 2013-2014 GT500 into a 2007 GT500, if I strip off all the 2013-2014 electronics from the later block and install it with the 2007 controls? Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Anything wrong with your 5.4?
If not just the ‘13-14 top end (blower/cooler brick) on your car will run hard. TVS blower upgrade (also consider VMP) is the biggest piece.
If you find a decently priced 5.8 I’ll be surprised but I hope you can.
What power goals do you have?
-J

kazman

King of Kazmania
Established Member
Premium Member
I love my 07s body over the 13/14 personally. Im one of those weirdos. Id love to have a trinity motor in it and everything else from a 13/14. A condor that identifies as a trinity lol

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Hear here!

marsh2o

Established Member
Anything wrong with your 5.4?
If not just the ‘13-14 top end (blower/cooler brick) on your car will run hard. TVS blower upgrade (also consider VMP) is the biggest piece.
If you find a decently priced 5.8 I’ll be surprised but I hope you can.
What power goals do you have?
-J
My horsepower goal is ~700-725 rwhp, preferably achieved at no higher than 6500 rpm. My 2007 has over 100,000 miles on it, so I'm hesitant to stress it to that level. I already have a VMP 2R with a 2.4 inch pulley, a Super Cobra Jet wide oval throttle body, a Cobra Jet 123 mm CAI, a set of Dynatech headers, and a number of other parts that I've purchased over the years, but have been sitting on the shelf, waiting to be installed. Now that I have both the time and (a little) money, my plan is to do a complete update -- suspension, brakes, wheels and tires, engine, drivetrain, interior and paint. The car will spend 90% of its time on the street and the rest autocrossing and HPD events. The 5.8 is attractive, not only for its upgraded performance over the 5.4, but also because it takes 100 lbs off the front of the car.

marsh2o

Established Member
And I should clarify my concerns about transplanting a 5.8 into my 2007. I know that it will physically fit and that the parts I've been stockpiling will work on it just fine. My concern is whether there are any incompatibilities between the sensors and electrical connections of the 5.8 and the 5.4. I realize that the 5.8 has knock sensors that aren't supported by the electronics in my 2007 but, aside from those, are there any other issues?

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
And I should clarify my concerns about transplanting a 5.8 into my 2007. I know that it will physically fit and that the parts I've been stockpiling will work on it just fine. My concern is whether there are any incompatibilities between the sensors and electrical connections of the 5.8 and the 5.4. I realize that the 5.8 has knock sensors that aren't supported by the electronics in my 2007 but, aside from those, are there any other issues?
If the 5.8 you got is out of a track pack car than it doesn't have the coolant passage needed, since it uses an air to air oil cooler and the 07 GT500 oil cooler uses coolant. Not sure if you bought it already, but that's something to look for.

Screenshot_20230918_203529_Gallery.jpg

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Other than knock sensors the ‘13-14 has cams that help extend power band but your goal is reasonable power from a Gen 2R then you’ll hit that target pretty easily by 6500 and be fine with 5.4 ECU.
If you’re running E85 or dedicated race fuel you can ignore the knock sensors as false knock can be a problem with stiff suspension and track use.
Either way, it’s a great project as I know a 5.8 and 2R blower is a great combo.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
If the 5.8 you got is out of a track pack car than it doesn't have the coolant passage needed, since it uses an air to air oil cooler and the 07 GT500 oil cooler uses coolant. Not sure if you bought it already, but that's something to look for.

View attachment 1809969
Good point. I deleted mine so I have a stock 5.8 cooler assembly if you need it.
-J

marsh2o

Established Member
Thank you, 2011 gtcs -- I would have missed this if you hadn't pointed it out. No, I haven't purchased the 5.8 yet -- still totaling up the potential cost of buying a salvage 5.8 vs rebuilding my current engine -- perhaps with a 5.8 shortblock.

Last edited:

marsh2o

Established Member
Other than knock sensors the ‘13-14 has cams that help extend power band but your goal is reasonable power from a Gen 2R then you’ll hit that target pretty easily by 6500 and be fine with 5.4 ECU.
If you’re running E85 or dedicated race fuel you can ignore the knock sensors as false knock can be a problem with stiff suspension and track use.
Either way, it’s a great project as I know a 5.8 and 2R blower is a great combo.
-J
Since the car will spend 90% of its time on the street, my plan is to stick with 93 octane -- so I want a tune that's conservative enough that it will minimize the chance of detonation. But I agree, the 5.8 and 2R should give me all the power I'm looking for.

HKusp

Established Member
I switched my Stock Eaton to the Gen2R at roughly 130,000 miles. That engine was not burning any oil and was running strong the day I totaled it at 177,000+. If you've owned the car and did your maintenance since new, you have a known quantity in that engine. There should be no issues upping the boost on your car. You are certainly adding quite a headache, expense doing the swap as well as possible unknown issues getting the 5.8 used from a salvage yard. All of that to achieve numbers that are totally within reasonable limits with the engine you have in the car already. Get a set of 1050X's and a BAP with that blower and cal BJ. Don't go through all that crap swapping out a junkyard engine. Just my $.02, take it for what it's worth.

marsh2o

Established Member
I switched my Stock Eaton to the Gen2R at roughly 130,000 miles. That engine was not burning any oil and was running strong the day I totaled it at 177,000+. If you've owned the car and did your maintenance since new, you have a known quantity in that engine. There should be no issues upping the boost on your car. You are certainly adding quite a headache, expense doing the swap as well as possible unknown issues getting the 5.8 used from a salvage yard. All of that to achieve numbers that are totally within reasonable limits with the engine you have in the car already. Get a set of 1050X's and a BAP with that blower and cal BJ. Don't go through all that crap swapping out a junkyard engine. Just my $.02, take it for what it's worth.
Staying with my 5.4 is certainly something I've thought about. It's not burning oil and has decent compression. But there is currently a 5.8 on Ebay with just over 8K miles that the salvage yard (with an excellent reputation) has confirmed is in good running condition with good compression and is offering it at a reasonable price -- and that was a very tempting option. My interest in the 5.8 is not just the power increase, but the fact that the aluminum block takes 100 lbs of the front end of the car -- something that's very appealing for a car that will be regularly autocrossed and entered in HPD events. However, I've decided that a better option is to get a 5.8 shortblock from JDM and have the heads done at MHS -- more expensive than the Ebay offering, but with upgraded components and greater reliability. I'll keep the 5.4 until I've finished all the other upgrades and then probably sell it to offset some of the cost of the 5.8. Sorry to hear about the fate of your own car. From the description in your signature, you had a nice ride.

Last edited:

HKusp

Established Member
Staying with my 5.4 is certainly something I've thought about. It's not burning oil and has decent compression. But there is currently a 5.8 on Ebay with just over 8K miles that the salvage yard (with an excellent reputation) has confirmed is in good running condition with good compression and is offering it at a reasonable price -- and that was a very tempting option. My interest in the 5.8 is not just the power increase, but the fact that the aluminum block takes 100 lbs of the front end of the car -- something that's very appealing for a car that will be regularly autocrossed and entered in HPD events. However, I've decided that a better option is to get a 5.8 shortblock from JDM and have the heads done at MHS -- more expensive than the Ebay offering, but with upgraded components and greater reliability. I'll keep the 5.4 until I've finished all the other upgrades and then probably sell it to offset some of the cost of the 5.8. Sorry to hear about the fate of your own car. From the description in your signature, you had a nice ride.
Thank you. It was a nice car and I was very upset when I wrecked it. I have an 18GT that I am in the middle of taking to about 900whp on E, which should be fun but I do miss being a Shelby snob, lol.

HKusp

Established Member
I also bought a '03 Terminator convertible a few weeks ago but the motor is out of that as well. It had a timing chain tensioner go bad and it took out a bunch of stuff. It'll be rebuilt, and has a 2.3 liter Whipple and should be easy 600+whp on 93. That should be fun and give me the Cobra snobbery I am missing. :D

Users who are viewing this thread