Any of you guys experienced COOLANT LEAKS?

KONA BLUES

HORSEPOWER JUNKIE
Established Member
Car is a 2011 5.0 A6 Vert.

Just over the last 4-5 days, she has been leaving half dollar sized puddles on the garage floor. I put the car up on ramps to try and locate the source of the problem, and nothing. No residual trail to trace, no indicator of any kind - the underside is literally clean and dry. She has been doing this intermittently, one day she leaks; the next day nothing :shrug:.

Well today, I went out to move the car and there was a larger puddle than there has been. Put the car on ramps again, and finally able to see where it is coming from. It is coming from the backside of the block, I am guessing up top. Doesn't appear to be from just one side, due to the path of the trail. I am about to take it to the dealer and get it looked at, but figure I am going to have to battle the "You modded it, were not covering it" Service Tech.

Would like to hear you guys thoughts as to what the cause of this is. I don't have a clue what the back of the block looks like - is there a coolant crossover tube/hose back there that could be leaking?

Just looking for ideas ATM, I will post a pic of what I am seeing under there shortly.

KONA BLUES

HORSEPOWER JUNKIE
Established Member
Pics added:

CoolantProbs004.jpg

CoolantProbs003.jpg

CoolantProbs002.jpg

CoolantProbs001.jpg

CoolantProbs005.jpg

ViciousJay

Established Member
that doesnt look good, get that thing in for the warranty work thats needed. Is the Head leaking? or is it truly the block?

KONA BLUES

HORSEPOWER JUNKIE
Established Member
that doesnt look good, get that thing in for the warranty work thats needed. Is the Head leaking? or is it truly the block?

Just dropped her off at the dealership. I truly have no idea where it is coming from. The oil is clean, thankfully. I have looked as far as I can see down the backside of the engine and I don't see any trails. I cannot pinpoint where it is coming from.

I will keep you guys updated as this unfolds.

KONA BLUES

HORSEPOWER JUNKIE
Established Member
UPDATE:

The Dealership called and said it was the water pump. I looked all over that thing for any obvious signs of coolant coming from the weep hole, and found nothing. I feel much better knowing it is something miniscule rather than something complex.

I have been watching this thing like a hawk ever since I discovered the first puddle. I would drive the car, get under it and look for any signs of a leak - nothing. I let the car sit a bit, go look - nothing. Back out of a parking spot and check, only to find nothing. I have never seen this thing drip - not one time. But I let her sit overnight and she has pissed on the floor :cuss:. The location of the puddle, as well as the trail suggested it was coming from the rear. This thing has been a real pain in the arse to track down.

Thankfully, it is going to be covered under warranty; and I received no static about the car being modified :thumbsup:

Are we sure this isn't transmission fluid leaking?

Yes sir, we are 100% sure this isn't tranny fluid :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread