Any road course cars on here?

VaporSnake

Forever Slow
Established Member
Was just curious if any of you have set your gt500s up to run on the road courses and if so what suspensions modifications, along with power mods you found best.

I was up at Road Atlanta a few weeks ago and there was a 10-12 gt500 there and it was holding its own just fine in the rain but then the sun came out and it didn't get any better time. But, being there and running around the infield watching the cars and then running the parade lap has intrigued me to do the "unorthodox" thing with these F150s and set it up for the road course. That and the fact I'm tired of listening to my buddy with a ZR1 run his mouth :bash:.

Curious on brands of suspensions and what's going to be the best setups, I imagine I'll be talking to Van at some point about keep things cool. I'm practically stock and thinking I'll switch to a 3.4 blower just get the motor in the 700-800 range.

Random topic, I searched didn't see anything before, interested in what you guys have to say/share, annnnnnd go.

Van@RevanRacing

Was just curious if any of you have set your gt500s up to run on the road courses and if so what suspensions modifications, along with power mods you found best.

I was up at Road Atlanta a few weeks ago and there was a 10-12 gt500 there and it was holding its own just fine in the rain but then the sun came out and it didn't get any better time. But, being there and running around the infield watching the cars and then running the parade lap has intrigued me to do the "unorthodox" thing with these F150s and set it up for the road course. That and the fact I'm tired of listening to my buddy with a ZR1 run his mouth :bash:.

Curious on brands of suspensions and what's going to be the best setups, I imagine I'll be talking to Van at some point about keep things cool. I'm practically stock and thinking I'll switch to a 3.4 blower just get the motor in the 700-800 range.

Random topic, I searched didn't see anything before, interested in what you guys have to say/share, annnnnnd go.

Well if you're going to talk to me about cooling you might as well talk to me about road course suspension as well.

I'm an Instructor for a number of different national open track organizations. NASA, Hooked On Driving, PBOC, Track Guys.......

I have done every suspension set up possible to these cars and depending on your level of interest and direction I'll help you to spend your money wisely the first time.

Van

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Talk with Van.. It sounds like you may not have ever been out on a track.. I def wouldn't go out there with 7/800rwhp lol..

VaporSnake

Forever Slow
Established Member
Well if you're going to talk to me about cooling you might as well talk to me about road course suspension as well.

I'm an Instructor for a number of different national open track organizations. NASA, Hooked On Driving, PBOC, Track Guys.......

I have done every suspension set up possible to these cars and depending on your level of interest and direction I'll help you to spend your money wisely the first time.

Van

haha yeah you have a point there, I knew that and didn't even think about it, i guess you could say that wasn't completely thought through

Talk with Van.. It sounds like you may not have ever been out on a track.. I def wouldn't go out there with 7/800rwhp lol..

7/800rwhp will be fine, obviously it won't be done right off the bat, and would be pointless in the beginning until learning what the car is going to do on the track and working out the suspension

Did you say F150 :confused:

sorry, I often refer to my car as a F150, due to it's stock suspension height being 4x4 like and also not being too far off from the curb weight of a F150

kevin01cobra

Friendly MerShaq
Established Member
My god don't add anymore power until your skill requires it. You'll be an instructors worse nightmare if you do. Plus are you really interested in having 800 hp and getting passed by a miata due to turns???? And I'd imagine it would be fun trying to keep your engine cool at those hp levels. But no joke, the right person could run circles around you at the track with half that power.

Last edited:

cluscher

Established Member
Griggs SS kit, pulley/tune/tb/exhaust, pads/rotors/cooling ducts, gears, and radiator/HE/t-stat. That's what you need and you will be one of the fastest cars out there. 800hp on road course is not necessary. Van will set you up.

VaporSnake

Forever Slow
Established Member
My god don't add anymore power until your skill requires it. You'll be an instructors worse nightmare if you do. Plus are you really interested in having 800 hp and getting passed by a miata due to turns???? And I'd imagine it would be fun trying to keep your engine cool at those hp levels. But no joke, the right person could run circles around you at the track with half that power.

Yeah as said before the "more power" wont be added until the skill level allows for it. But, it will be needed at some point, road atlanta has a huge back stretch and my main focus will be to shame this ZR1 who has 700HP. So to get my car out of turn 7 and down the back stretch, the extra power will be needed.

Griggs SS kit, pulley/tune/tb/exhaust, pads/rotors/cooling ducts, gears, and radiator/HE/t-stat. That's what you need and you will be one of the fastest cars out there. 800hp on road course is not necessary. Van will set you up.

Yeah I will be getting with Van. Needless to say, as with everyone, the bug bit and bit hard. Unfortunately law school eats mod money, and time for that matter, like a fat kid eats cake. So this project won't take place for a while was just interested if others were road coursing their cars.

Last edited:

muskaroxs

Established Member
Remember track days aren't suppose to be "Racing days" you'll get burned trying to keep up or pass your buddy's zr1 if you don't know what you're doing. The only mod I would consider is buying track day insurance so when you make a mistake in that 2012 gt500 you're not ass out. I would just buy a miata for 2k and learn how to drive before taking out the high horsepower monster gt500.

cluscher

Established Member
Quite a few on here with their GT500s out on the track. It's pretty shocking how many different advanced drivers/instructors I've given rides to over the years that comment about how well balanced my car is. The Griggs torque arm is the difference maker when it comes to balance. I make 575 at the wheel and rarely get passed. The car always gets a lot of interest from people at the track who are shocked how fast it is.

SuperFly03

Established Member
I can't wait to get the Griggs RT setup on my car...

Would love to put the power down the right way.

In the future... alas.

kevin01cobra

Friendly MerShaq
Established Member
Also the straightaways are not for racing! They are for relaxing and recomposing yourself. No one gives a rats ass if you can outrun them on the straights.
Do you really want to be THAT guy who passes everyone on the straights and then creates a train in the turns?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator

My 2007 GT500 suffered badly from poor suspension for the track. It simply would not go around a corner. So I upgraded to the FRPP suspension kit. That improved the suspension fantastically for the track but the car rode like crap on the street. My wife would not even ride in the car anymore.

My 2014 handles great on the track even with street tires.

The more horsepower you have, the faster your car will heat soak at the track, particularly in hot weather. Going fast requires a driver mod, not HP. :read::idea:

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

VaporSnake

Forever Slow
Established Member
Also the straightaways are not for racing! They are for relaxing and recomposing yourself. No one gives a rats ass if you can outrun them on the straights.
Do you really want to be THAT guy who passes everyone on the straights and then creates a train in the turns?

I think you're missing the point, and part of what I've already said, or just voicing your opinion. The main objective is obviously getting the suspension setup soundly under the current power and learning the car/track. Eventually the additional power will be needed for the back stretch. If two cars are running the same times through 1-7 it's going to come down to the back stretch 555/550 and 3800lbs isn't going to keep up with a 680/650 3100 hp ZR1. I could give a "rat's ass" less about running faster than everyone else but all efforts would be pointless with a slower time slip, in the end, compared to my buddy's ZR1. So to answer your question the ultimate goal is to have the car that is passing everyone on the straights and sound through the turns. Yes I realize, like AC427 said above, 575 and a perfect suspension is good enough for most tracks, but the power is going to needed at Road Atlanta.

Last edited:

devilish64

Established Member
If you said ZL1 I think you could do it..... I don't know if you could possibly put enough into a gt500(keeping it a streetable car) to keep up with a 700 hp ZR1 especially in the twisty's. That is a purpose built car.... and you have a back seat. Anything is possible though. GOOD LUCK

SD_Stang

Established Member
With the Griggs Suspension and some seat time I don't think he will hang with you in the turns and as the laps pass by he will not even be at a point to catch you in the straight and even if he does you'll retake it from him. A ZR1 is a handfull even a Z06 is if they are not set up correctly and have a good driver. Also like your car they suffer from Heat Soak which if you get with Van and get yours to run cool your going to continue to put up good laps as he gets slower and slower.

I would work on the cooling suspension and brakes nice wheel and tire combo (when money permits). You'll shave some weight here and there likely just with that.

cluscher said it best.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Yeah as said before the "more power" wont be added until the skill level allows for it. But, it will be needed at some point, road atlanta has a huge back stretch and my main focus will be to shame this ZR1 who has 700HP. So to get my car out of turn 7 and down the back stretch, the extra power will be needed. .

Don't take this wrong.....but you really need to go to a few track schools before you do anything to your car.

Your need for "more power" will quickly change.

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread