Anybody ever built a custom powder coating oven?

Forza Aerospace

Established Member
I'm starting to get pretty into powder coating and plan on building myself a custom 3' x 4' x 5' oven that's pretty similar to to this guys. Just wanted to see if anybody on this site had done something similar.
IMG_0231.jpg

IMG_0232.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0238.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

Last edited:

Forza Aerospace

Established Member
It's a propane fired oven, because that way I can have it in my garage, which lacks 220. The guys above is a 4' x 4' x 8' oven, but it's pretty much the same concept.

sixt5

Established Member
dad and i built one for my buisness. outside measurements 4(tall) x8 (long) x3.5(wide).
used regualar r13 insulation and 4 3000w (i think?) oven burners.

i do NOT like the idea of gas fired cause there IS a possibility of ignition with powder coatings. also with a propane fired heater, you will have to make certain the force from the air is not directed into the box directly as it will blow your powder off.

Forza Aerospace

Established Member
dad and i built one for my buisness. outside measurements 4(tall) x8 (long) x3.5(wide).
used regualar r13 insulation and 4 3000w (i think?) oven burners.

i do NOT like the idea of gas fired cause there IS a possibility of ignition with powder coatings. also with a propane fired heater, you will have to make certain the force from the air is not directed into the box directly as it will blow your powder off.

Do you have any pictures of your set up or any links to a similar set up to yours?

sixt5

Established Member
mines pretty much identical but mine lays down instead of stands up (pic #2). 22 ga sheet metal with metal studs. fireproof caulk all the seams. if i bake for a couple rounds the outside gets warm to the touch but never "hot". i use a rack on the inside to roll items inside and out.

what gun setup do you plan on using?

oilwell1415

Established Member
I agree with going electric. When I was in college we built a similar oven to cure carbon fiber layups and the possibility of inadvertently putting something flammable in there is why we did electric. I don't remember exactly how big our was, but we could put the wings of the plane we were building in there with plenty of room to spare. I think they were 7' long. It was probably 8x4x5 or pretty close to it.

sixt5

Established Member
It's really not that big of a deal to run the 220 if your panel allows you to. Although mine does require a 60 amp breaker lol

Forza Aerospace

Established Member
mines pretty much identical but mine lays down instead of stands up (pic #2). 22 ga sheet metal with metal studs. fireproof caulk all the seams. if i bake for a couple rounds the outside gets warm to the touch but never "hot". i use a rack on the inside to roll items inside and out.

what gun setup do you plan on using?

I've always used my friends stuff and I can't remember what it was, but i'm ordering the 30-50KV Caswell Powder Coating system. You have any other suggestions?

Caswell Inc. - High Voltage Powder Coating System

Last edited:

Forza Aerospace

Established Member
I bought the kool coat 2.0 from Columbia coatings and get my powder from them and powder365.

that's funny, that's the only other gun I was looking at. Well, the kool coat 1.0. I decided i'd rather spend the extra money on building my oven than that gun. I may upgrade to it down the road.

sixt5

Established Member
filing cabinet wont fit much lol. LUCKILY i didnt have to buy the 6/3 wire for my box otherwise that would have added a pretty penny. i say ROUGHLY 800ish. need to do galvanized metal inside, regular (or galv.) outside, insulation, screws,studs,oven elements, t stat, rack, rollers, hinges, mines on wheels, wire to each element to contactors, wire to panel.. blah blah blah

plus gun (i spent about 600), tape, powder. needless to say, i need more buisness!

Users who are viewing this thread