Anybody ever have a vortech BAP catch fire?

GHIG'13

Established Member
Before
image.jpg
After
image.jpgHey guys, my car caught fire and burned up to the firewall on the 26th. The investigator came out today and is leaning towards my vortech BAP being the cause of the fire. Has anyone ever had one catch fire before? I'm not convinced.

Last edited:

GHIG'13

Established Member
I think the garage door opener caught fire and fell on the trunk and caught the spoiler then tail lights and bumper... I can't prove it though and was just curious if anyone has ever had a problem with a BAP catching fire or even getting hot, I've never heard anyone complain before.

ebrow21

Established Member
Yes, BAP's can get pretty dang hot, that has been experience with KB's.

I encounter the same thing in my work environment on bus/trucks that step 12v to 24v. Any loose connection, even only slightly so, will burn wires and can become a source for ignition. We eliminate connectors and hard wire often to prevent future hot spots.

Also, a static environment like a trunk can smolder for quite awhile before anything outside ignites.

Last edited:

GHIG'13

Established Member
Was it always blinking? Like stuck on?

Never looked at it, it was under the trunk mat in the spare tire well. Insurance just told me they wanted $8150 to buy it back, so now I've got two weeks to get all my stuff off of it while sitting in a muddy dirt floor shop.

GHIG'13

Established Member
Yes it melted both rear wheels and car hadn't been ran in almost three weeks, that's why I'm thinking garage door opener because I had just had the door up to get my lawn mower out then back in. Insurance also gave me two weeks to get all my parts off of it. Looks like I'm going to be busy for the next week or so!

Last edited:

dennisn

Established Member
If car wasn't running when it happened I can't see bap causing it. If car was off it should have never had voltage to get hot and start a fire. Ive always questioned why wheninstalling a bap they have you put in a higher rated fuse and not upgrade the wire itself. Ive blown that fuse on a pass and luckily didn't do any damage.

GHIG'13

Established Member
Did you have a cellphone charger in the car by any chance? or anything plugged into the cigarrete lighter hole?

There was nothing plugged in at all and I had the optional wiring with fuse and relay that you can get when ordering the whole Paxton kit. I really don't think the BAP was the cause but my opinion don't matter to them. I was just curious if anyone had ever had a problem but it don't seem that way. My wife said I could have her 2013 sterling grey GT to put all my stuff on and she would go buy another car for her go to work in so at least I'm not out of the game. As a side question, can I take the ecm out of my car and put it in her car and be ok?

burke985

Established Member
Damn that sux sorry bro. But I've had a kenne Belle on mine for 2 years and no issues.

GHIG'13

Established Member
Damn that sux sorry bro. But I've had a kenne Belle on mine for 2 years and no issues.
Thank man, it sucks pretty bad but at least all my other trucks survived. I really doubt the BAP caused it but they need something to blame I guess.

Krace

Established Member
BS, get a second opinion. If it was installed correctly, there is no way that bap was on. You need to have someone in there to determine if the line you was connected to was a switched power line. Sounds to me the guy that they got in there did not know wtf he was looking at. Id pull up a wiring diagram and have him explain to you how it started on a switched/deadline.
Hell id get a fire investigator (the guy that investigates burned down homes) in there to determine the cause and start of the fire.

Users who are viewing this thread