Anyone else frustrated with Ford over the next GT500?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
There's a card in your dad's glovebox with the manuals that lists recommended alignment specifications.

He pulled those out pretty quick and I'm sure they're stashed at his house for light reading haha

Legendary 351

Banned
Established Member
Ya that was crap but I get his point. I think he was beyond spot on regarding the gt350r compared to the zl1 and zl1 1le.

He didn’t mention it, but the tire treadwear on a zl1 1le is a 100tw. The gt350r runs a 180tw hahaha. Think about that for a good long minute.

The gt350r is on a 180tw tire. It being .39 off the time of a zl1 on a mild track is total toss up to drivers. The zl1 is on a 220tw tire. It also has 125hp on the gt350r. Here is the track that the zl1 barely edged out the gt350r at. Notice the lack of technicality.
View attachment 1474534
That is why i said a while ago on another forum,that the next GT500 is gonna destroy the CRAPMARO zl1 1le.What a stupid name,only an idiot Garbage Motors boy thinks its a super car.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Shots fired!

I'm not a fan of Camaros, but I can't deny that the ZL1 and ZL1 1LE are great performing cars.

Osiris

Established Member
Shots fired!

I'm not a fan of Camaros, but I can't deny that the ZL1 and ZL1 1LE are great performing cars.
Agree. I barely notice them, but can't deny what they can do. I have a Chevy for a company car. I put 4 times as many miles on it in a year than I have either of my Fords, so when I say I'm no fan of their quality it isn't coming from some fanboy who knows nothing about them...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Legendary 351

Banned
Established Member
shots FIRED!!the zl1 beat the GT350 R by .39 with over 100hp more.that shows me the zl1 is not as great as a performing car as most think.i think the 1le of that car is because they knew regular zl1 could barely beat the GT350 R.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Considering how many backed up hooptie builds from mild to wild have run the same lap times as the zl1-1le at Kevin’s with sub 650hp, I can honestly say I don’t think the gt500 will have a hard time shaving 1.8 seconds off the gt350r time to come into the zl1 1le range of 1:34’s.

Guys have gone 1:21 on 2 wheels in super bike class, and the actual lap record is waaaay down around 1:05 iirc in an Indy car.

The viper acr with 600-650hp went 1:28 on a streetable tire.

This better went 1:34 and this mercury also did so, neither makes 600hp iirc.

D661AA9E-E872-4937-AA1E-47E561FB8831.jpeg
2F0A9AB3-CEE7-4410-B913-ED6AFE19C4A2.jpeg
E79978EF-BC82-4BB2-8995-CFBBA8C8885A.jpeg

The tt2 rules mandate 8:1 lbs/hp. Which means that corvette was tops 350-400hp or it was factory weight which is highly unlikely. TTU is unlimited hp, but judging by the chassis, it’s be unlikely it ran 1:34’s with that much chassis and tons of hp. The chassis looks like it could put 800+ hp to use.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Can we take a sec to appreciate the fact that while ford may well sit atop the podium in 2019, or whenever:

Dodge has held the straight line throne for 4 years in a row.

Chevy arguably holds the lap time belt handily for the last 4 years. Down on power, bla bla yes the gt350r is technically quicker in corners than the zl1 and possibly zl1 1le, it ain’t faster around circuits.

Now, I’m not saying I’d buy the dodge or Chevy products personally because obviously I’m a mustang guy but let’s quit trying to say dodge and Chevy havent been winning.

This dude with a zl1 bought a nice car. The guys with hellcats bought great cars.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
shots FIRED!!the zl1 beat the GT350 R by .39 with over 100hp more.that shows me the zl1 is not as great as a performing car as most think.i think the 1le of that car is because they knew regular zl1 could barely beat the GT350 R.

I suspect the same thing. I'll even take it further and say I think the ZL1 1LE exists because they couldn't build a Z/28 that could eclipse the GT350R, but you still can't say the ZL1 and ZL1 1LE aren't great performing cars.

What am I missing??? Did you mean 4 or 5 months?

I was wondering, too.

Gr8fulmtnbiker

Established Member
That is why i said a while ago on another forum,that the next GT500 is gonna destroy the CRAPMARO zl1 1le.What a stupid name,only an idiot Garbage Motors boy thinks its a super car.

Destroy? In my opinion, nothing is going to be destroying anything at this point. Might something be quicker in some regards (like around some corners, or on some straightaways, etc.) and shave seconds or fractions of seconds here and there? Sure. But at this point, given where HP and TQ and suspension technology, etc. are I really do not think anything in the Dodge/Chevy/Ford arenas (when considering cars within the same 'class', not a ZL1 1LE vs Taurus for example) will be destroying each other. Go ahead and jack up HP and TQ and shave weight and put out improved traction/suspension and whatnot, but I do not see anyone among these manufacturers having a silver bullet that is going to be 'destroying' the competition anymore.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Destroy? In my opinion, nothing is going to be destroying anything at this point. Might something be quicker in some regards (like around some corners, or on some straightaways, etc.) and shave seconds or fractions of seconds here and there? Sure. But at this point, given where HP and TQ and suspension technology, etc. are I really do not think anything in the Dodge/Chevy/Ford arenas (when considering cars within the same 'class', not a ZL1 1LE vs Taurus for example) will be destroying each other. Go ahead and jack up HP and TQ and shave weight and put out improved traction/suspension and whatnot, but I do not see anyone among these manufacturers having a silver bullet that is going to be 'destroying' the competition anymore.

I've said it before (in this thread?), these HP wars don't have long to live. The next evolution is going to be smaller size and lighter weight with similar or slightly better HP:weight.

rhlgt500

Established Member
I've said it before (in this thread?), these HP wars don't have long to live. The next evolution is going to be smaller size and lighter weight with similar or slightly better HP:weight.

World is changing, in my neighborhood I've got kids driving their mom's Tesla Model Xs seriously challenging my GT500 now. My Dad just picked up a Tesla that Motor Trend got to a 0-60 time of 2.28 secs, hit some buttons and press the throttle and the computers guarantee a good launch. Four wheel drive, full torque at 0 RPM, no shifting, is hard to beat. Not quite sure where muscle cars will fit in this new world order. Pretty sure I don't want to write Ford a big check just for yet another Mustang that sits at the light smoking its tires while the neighbors kids are laughing halfway down the block.

Not worried at all about Chevy and Dodge.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Tesla’s don’t have top end. If you can get 1.40-1.50 60ft times out of your car, it’s possible to beat Tesla’s.

I’ve taken on a few and done very well, they do launch hard though. They only trap like 120-130.

rhlgt500

Established Member
Tesla’s don’t have top end. If you can get 1.40-1.50 60ft times out of your car, it’s possible to beat Tesla’s.

I’ve taken on a few and done very well, they do launch hard though. They only trap like 120-130.
At a roll above 30-40 they are no problem for my still stock (except for some Pilot Sport Cup 2s) GT500. Tesla guys do seem to like to play though. I suspect they collect lots of sports car kills.

14 GT500
Established Member
World is changing, in my neighborhood I've got kids driving their mom's Tesla Model Xs seriously challenging my GT500 now. My Dad just picked up a Tesla that Motor Trend got to a 0-60 time of 2.28 secs, hit some buttons and press the throttle and the computers guarantee a good launch. Four wheel drive, full torque at 0 RPM, no shifting, is hard to beat. Not quite sure where muscle cars will fit in this new world order. Pretty sure I don't want to write Ford a big check just for yet another Mustang that sits at the light smoking its tires while the neighbors kids are laughing halfway down the block.

Not worried at all about Chevy and Dodge.

I think that the ICE (internal combustion engine) gives you a different driving experience. I have been in a electrical car and while cool, they don't really excite me. Sometimes a burn out is kind a cool, and nothing like a V8 idling.......

rwleonard

Established Member
I told my wife just the other day, that while I am not completely ruling out the new GT500, I will almost certainly stick with my '13 because one; I love the aesthetics of the car, two; Griggs+VMP+$= all the handling and power I could want, and three; at some point we'll be forced into electrics anyway and the one I'll want will probably be expensive, so I better use the 2019 GT500 ADM to start saving for it.

Users who are viewing this thread