Anyone else frustrated with Ford over the next GT500?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
14 years old and only 7500 miles? Wow that must be a car that you love to drive. No offense but that tells me you don't like the car at all and you do everything in your power to drive something else....

Or are you saying the 03/04 mustang cobra is only fun to drive 1320 at a time?
Mine is 15 and about 19k, I really need to drive it more. lol

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Mine is 15 and has 60,750~.

No where near stock. And I didn't kid myself when I bought it. My buddies back then had c55 amgs and m3's. Those cars had "interiors" and comforts that were great for the time. My car was always the nomad. I bought it for that reason. I daily drove cars that had comforts like infiniti's etc etc.

My cobra will humiliate stock and modded hellcats up here. Hell, bring a damn demon. Thing probably runs low 11's up here. Hellcats and zr1's run tip top 11's and low 12's at 115-118. Stock c6z's run high 12's at 110-113. My pump gas tune on 12psi traps north of 130+* at 4600ft with a manual on 91 octane. Turbos eat everything alive at altitude. I'm sure if I brought it to sea level, and tuned it for 93, or switched to e85 (it's 30+ miles away from me currently) I'd be even happier with the cars performance. It also handles and corners and grips far better than most cars I've ever driven. Just an mm full suspension with an ftbr rear, brembos, sticky tires, and light wheels. Flsc's, bla bla bla we all know what a fox or sn95 needs to handle phenomenally especially with an IRS.

Surprising how a shitty 15 year car on a 38 year old lasagna noodle running 60 year old suspension geometry without abs or traction control can handle. But whatever. I won't argue semantics or feel or so on. Plenty of people with 03 cobra's are very happy with their cars and have literally zero jealousy regarding hellcats or demons or zl1's or amg's etc etc. Many people like myself can go buy a $100k amg, m, rs_, etc and choose not too. We have our nomad toy, and our daily drivers. We put our money in our houses, investments and businesses. We don't need a demon for the same reason we don't need a subzero fridge or an Olympic size swimming pool. It's not a matter of money or ignorance, it's a matter of what the hell for.

I've said the 03 cobra is everything the 1957 Chrysler 300c or 1964 Pontiac gto was for the given American performance scene then/now, and stick to it. Opinions are opinions. Mines fine with me.

The demon needs race gas, umpteen boosts, computer aided launch, a killer chiller, and a mineshaft to run a 9.6@140 on slicks and skinnies. Big ****ing whoop. It's $86k. I would hope an $86k challenger built for the purpose of drag racing could run into at least the 9's on slicks and skinnies with race gas and 840hp.

Another car that can run 9's on slicks and skinnies is a bolt on trinity car making 700whp. Lethal did that 4 years ago. Not even the best mineshaft either. They were about $70k into the entire thing, if that.

I'm very impressed dodge has the balls and guts to put the car on the market, and have nothing against it. But this bs internet hyperbolic vomit that feeds off itself to where a guy who likes his 03 cobra can't have a substantiated claim to say he's happy as a red blooded American can be that it's a 9 second car after work he's done to it simply because the 15 year newer $86k demon also runs 9's in specialized scenarios is as distasteful a concept as a potus saying if you have a business you didn't build that.

End rant. Edited 28 times or whatever to fix typos and add context. Have fun blasting away whatever you want. Freedom of speech goes all ways as it should.

Last edited:

snakedoctor

Established Member
I just hit 140,000 miles on my 04 cobra yesterday. I love it and will keep it forever. I just want an updated reliable version of it to add to the stable. I'm gonna give Ford about another month to release info on a new Shelby. If they don't then I'm either going with a 14 Shelby or a new Hellcat Challenger. I love what Chevy has done with the Zl1 but I just can't get past the generic looks of it.

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I want a newer more advanced car as well. I will keep my cobra forever (life willing) and enjoy everything about it for leisure and even some daily driving, but can easily see myself getting something like a new gt500 to leave mostly stock and cruise around with basically like a daily driver in good weather months.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
If you want a track car get a GT3/GT3RS/GT4, C7GS, Z28, SS1LE, GT350/R, SRTGTS/TA/ACR.
If you want a street car get a ZL1/1LE, GT500, 997/991TT, E63/C63/CLS63/SL63, M3/5, RS7, and on...

conceptmachine

Established Member
Agree with you OTB, although I love my base R on the street.
I'm gonna get the next GT500, I believe it will be a good car. It won't handle as light as the R does, probably won't FEEL as good to drive BUT it will be one fast mother. It will be a jack of all trades type car and I'll welcome it to the garage. As much as I've tried to like zl1s and hellcats, they just aren't who I am.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Agree with you OTB, although I love my base R on the street.
I'm gonna get the next GT500, I believe it will be a good car. It won't handle as light as the R does, probably won't FEEL as good to drive BUT it will be one fast mother. It will be a jack of all trades type car and I'll welcome it to the garage. As much as I've tried to like zl1s and hellcats, they just aren't who I am.
I agree.
I've never been behind the wheel of an R car, so I don't know how it handles, but I plan on getting the new GT500 too as long as the ADM game isn't out of control. I hope it looks, sounds killer and has killer performance. I want gobs of power and torque.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Mine is 15 and has 60,750~.

No where near stock. And I didn't kid myself when I bought it. My buddies back then had c55 amgs and m3's. Those cars had "interiors" and comforts that were great for the time. My car was always the nomad. I bought it for that reason. I daily drove cars that had comforts like infiniti's etc etc.

My cobra will humiliate stock and modded hellcats up here. Hell, bring a damn demon. Thing probably runs low 11's up here. Hellcats and zr1's run tip top 11's and low 12's at 115-118. Stock c6z's run high 12's at 110-113. My pump gas tune on 12psi traps north of 130+* at 4600ft with a manual on 91 octane. Turbos eat everything alive at altitude. I'm sure if I brought it to sea level, and tuned it for 93, or switched to e85 (it's 30+ miles away from me currently) I'd be even happier with the cars performance. It also handles and corners and grips far better than most cars I've ever driven. Just an mm full suspension with an ftbr rear, brembos, sticky tires, and light wheels. Flsc's, bla bla bla we all know what a fox or sn95 needs to handle phenomenally especially with an IRS.

Surprising how a shitty 15 year car on a 38 year old lasagna noodle running 60 year old suspension geometry without abs or traction control can handle. But whatever. I won't argue semantics or feel or so on. Plenty of people with 03 cobra's are very happy with their cars and have literally zero jealousy regarding hellcats or demons or zl1's or amg's etc etc. Many people like myself can go buy a $100k amg, m, rs_, etc and choose not too. We have our nomad toy, and our daily drivers. We put our money in our houses, investments and businesses. We don't need a demon for the same reason we don't need a subzero fridge or an Olympic size swimming pool. It's not a matter of money or ignorance, it's a matter of what the hell for.

I've said the 03 cobra is everything the 1957 Chrysler 300c or 1964 Pontiac gto was for the given American performance scene then/now, and stick to it. Opinions are opinions. Mines fine with me.

The demon needs race gas, umpteen boosts, computer aided launch, a killer chiller, and a mineshaft to run a 9.6@140 on slicks and skinnies. Big ****ing whoop. It's $86k. I would hope an $86k challenger built for the purpose of drag racing could run into at least the 9's on slicks and skinnies with race gas and 840hp.

Another car that can run 9's on slicks and skinnies is a bolt on trinity car making 700whp. Lethal did that 4 years ago. Not even the best mineshaft either. They were about $70k into the entire thing, if that.

I'm very impressed dodge has the balls and guts to put the car on the market, and have nothing against it. But this bs internet hyperbolic vomit that feeds off itself to where a guy who likes his 03 cobra can't have a substantiated claim to say he's happy as a red blooded American can be that it's a 9 second car after work he's done to it simply because the 15 year newer $86k demon also runs 9's in specialized scenarios is as distasteful a concept as a potus saying if you have a business you didn't build that.

End rant. Edited 28 times or whatever to fix typos and add context. Have fun blasting away whatever you want. Freedom of speech goes all ways as it should.
Great post actually, well put and thought out in a few different aspects.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Excuse me while I drop this off here....

https://www.google.com/amp/www.road...aro-zl1-1le-blitzed-the-nurburgring-in-71604/

IMG_8246.jpg

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Excuse me while I point out how interesting this is. Little 306hp car almost embarrassed the 580hp 2012 zl1. Well to be honest, it did in my opinion.

image.png

image.jpeg

That's great that a 3900lbs 650hp Chevy is allegedly 3 seconds faster than the 3400lbs 650hp Chevy (zr1).

The thing with Nurburgring lap times is weather, conditions, and so on make laps incomparable. If gm rents out the track for the 4 best weeks of the year, no one will touch their times. I find it funny that the 2012 zl1 is allegedly faster at the ring than a trinity gt500, but at leguna seca, the trinity car was faster by over half a second...

All aside, it's impressive the new zl1 1le is that fast. Great day for America. That's nipping at hyper at time.

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
The best part is when gm rents out the ring to market their new z28 and it can't beat the 41.27 the zl1 supposedly out down.

Or when the c7z can't beat their past times so we get no time at all.

Or when when drunk engineers confess to shaving tires to get better ring times.

Or when...

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Until it's here competitors are fair game. Let's face it a non stock non production competitor with no independent verification on what it's running is loved by the media hoards.

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
Come on Ford, give us SOMETHING! Learn from Dodge and do a slow roll easter egg filled snippet fest to build excitement while still giving us hints of what we'll be buying! I am saving money exclusively for this car but my patience is waning. The ZL1 is like sitting in a submarine so that's out. Maybe a Used Maserati GTS? What about a Corvette Gransport? Hmm.

Come on Ford - Bait me with something! Hell I'll even take a couple of grainy photos with something new exposed.

Users who are viewing this thread