Anyone else heard a loud pop coming from the gas tank?

TheOne2HotScott

Established Member
Yep I heard it again today...I had forgotten about it, heard it the first night I parked it with a full tank. I heard it again with the second fill up...and when I parked it in the garage today after just filling it up, 5 minutes later POP! About as loud as half a firecracker, yeah I jumped. The first time I heard it I thought it was the Bilsteins in the rear because I had just put it back to normal suspension and cut the ignition off. 3 times now, after three fill ups-is no coincidence...Any thoughts? Plastic tank? Straps? Added weight of gas on suspension? Anyone else heard this?

Superfly99

Stang Freak
Established Member
You sure it's not the parking brake? My '09 has popped a few times if the parking brake isn't fully engaged...scared the crap out of me the first time, started rolling down driveway. Had to jump in while rolling to stop it. It was a loud pop.

TheOne2HotScott

Established Member
I don't think so...but the garage is level so if it did, It would not have moved. I haven't heard it once when it is not full. This is the first year of plastic beveled gas tank I believe.

On another note: My '97 Cobra rolled backwards with the parking brake set and hit another car. Ford sent a investigator out and he determined it never happened, that the parking brake was not set. The parking brake was still standing up in the air!! It too popped. 3 Months later Ford did a recall and put a piece of metal in the parking brake mechanism to keep it from doing what it did to me. When I called Ford and said "well well, seems this has been happening to other people... are you going to pay for the damages to the other vehicle now that you are basically saying you know there is a problem with your parking brake?" HaHaHa "Oh that case is closed"

Van@RevanRacing

You sure it's not the parking brake? My '09 has popped a few times if the parking brake isn't fully engaged...scared the crap out of me the first time, started rolling down driveway. Had to jump in while rolling to stop it. It was a loud pop.

If the parking brake is even modestly engaged on the 13' a warning light will engage on the center dash cluster if the car starts to move forward or backward.

OP might want to take the rear wheels off and do a bolt check on all of the lower suspension components. Could be something loose that simply needs to be tightened. Just a possibility.

VC

Users who are viewing this thread