Anyone have tune issues with ARH longtubes?

DallasBoss

Established Member
I'm planning on getting some longtubes for my Boss and had decided on ARH headers with the Boss specific midpipe, but read that another member had a minor tuning issue due to the O2 sensor location. I have learned that going with the Kooks mid length design would be easier to tune.

I just want to get feedback from those with ARH headers who may have had tuning problems, and if the issue was resolved easily. I really want the ARH's, but may decide on Kooks to avoid tuning complications. Thanks

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
All i know is that you must get the proper angle for the 02 sensor extensions other then that you should be fine. Also with arh headers they don't clear most drive shaft loops so make sure you check that If you have 1 or are going to get 1, otherwise they are a awesome headers!

DallasBoss

Established Member
All i know is that you must get the proper angle for the 02 sensor extensions other then that you should be fine. Also with arh headers they don't clear most drive shaft loops so make sure you check that If you have 1 or are going to get 1, otherwise they are a awesome headers!

Isn't the angle fixed on the header? Also, would using a carbon fiber driveshaft negate the need for a loop?

I have a thread if you search my name on how to re do the 02 sensor bungs.

-Thomas

Thx for the info, but I would prefer not to have to redo the bung location. The main issue that I'm curious about is idle/stalling issues from the O2 placement further down stream on the ARH vs the midlength Kooks

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Isn't the angle fixed on the header? Also, would using a carbon fiber driveshaft negate the need for a loop?

Thx for the info, but I would prefer not to have to redo the bung location. The main issue that I'm curious about is idle/stalling issues from the O2 placement further down stream on the ARH vs the midlength Kooks

If your going to ever be running e85 you will need to relocate the 02 bungs.

If your worried about stalling or what not then that is up to your tuner. I have no stalling issues with my pypes and AED tune.

-Thomas

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
If its any consolation i went with kooks new super street shortys, they
make plenty of power with no issues. Soon i will be adding a stainless x offroad x , my Paxton has been asking me for more flow!

DallasBoss

Established Member
If your going to ever be running e85 you will need to relocate the 02 bungs.

If your worried about stalling or what not then that is up to your tuner. I have no stalling issues with my pypes and AED tune.

-Thomas

I spoke to Shawn with AED and he said he would prefer a mid length header, but if I went with ARH, it may stall initially but tune revisions should fix that

If its any consolation i went with kooks new super street shortys, they
make plenty of power with no issues. Soon i will be adding a stainless x offroad x , my Paxton has been asking me for more flow!

All you Paxton/Vortech guys make me jealous. Someday I may go FI, but I first want to see how strong a bolt on and AED tuned setup feels in my Boss.

Nuar

Established Member
Yeah it will stall at first, but Shaun can fix that in the tune. My car runs great now :)
I think its just a correction for the delay in the o2 sensor readings since the location is changed. Not that big of a deal really. Just be aware of the issue and be patient with the tuning, thats all.

Last edited:

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I spoke to Shawn with AED and he said he would prefer a mid length header, but if I went with ARH, it may stall initially but tune revisions should fix that

All you Paxton/Vortech guys make me jealous. Someday I may go FI, but I first want to see how strong a bolt on and AED tuned setup feels in my Boss.

let me know, I can set you up with the arh, the kooks, or whatever you need

scotmach

Established Member
I run the American Racing longtubes and had no issues after they were installed. No stalling or nothing and didn't change the tune at all. VMP has since sent me a revision for the delay with the rear o2's but I have yet to flash it into the car as the car runs perfect.

DallasBoss

Established Member
That's good to hear! Did you use the O2 extensions? Is the x pipe a continuous 3 inch diameter at the connection to your 3 inch catback? I always thought the midpipe reduced to 2.75 in order to connect to factory sized OTA pipes, which I do not want. I want a full 3 inch system.

How do you like the catback? Any clearance issues with lowered suspension? Any power numbers or track times? Thanks for your feedback.

DallasBoss

Established Member
Yeah it will stall at first, but Shaun can fix that in the tune. My car runs great now :)
I think its just a correction for the delay in the o2 sensor readings since the location is changed. Not that big of a deal really. Just be aware of the issue and be patient with the tuning, thats all.

Ok thanks for the reassurance. I just don't want any driveability headaches which could be avoided by using a mid length header like Kooks

nosympathy

Boss 302
Established Member

since no one else answered you on this, the need for the loop is that if the driveshaft were to detach from the car it wouldn't fall down and hit the ground, snag and royally destroy your car. The makeup of the driveshaft be it carbon fiber or aluminum won't change the connect ends.

You don't HAVE to run one on the street if you don't want(I don't think there are any laws on this, not that we all don't break laws anyway), just a risk you are taking. Most tracks won't let you race if you don't have one as it is a huge safety risk, specially at higher speeds.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread