Anyone make a claim with Hagertys?

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
I'm looking to pull the trigger on a stated value policy for my Cobra. Was looking at Hagertys. Anyone used them and had to file a claim? Did it go well?

Open to any other suggestions for a stated value policy as well

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I have not had to file a claim, but they were my top choice when searching out insurance on my Firebird. The car was ineligible because my wife and I were a single car family at the time.

I will say that their staff are knowledgeable and courteous from my dealings with them, however the stated value policy I was looking at came with quite a number of driving restrictions.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I have not had to file a claim, but they were my top choice when searching out insurance on my Firebird. The car was ineligible because my wife and I were a single car family at the time.

I will say that their staff are knowledgeable and courteous from my dealings with them, however the stated value policy I was looking at came with quite a number of driving restrictions.

This is the main reason I have not done this on my 04 or my 92GT. I want to be able to drive them to work if the weather is nice. As well as a leisurely drive.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
This is the main reason I have not done this on my 04 or my 92GT. I want to be able to drive them to work if the weather is nice. As well as a leisurely drive.

Yup. There are not only mileage restrictions but there are also usage restrictions. Can't take them to work, run errands etc. basically if you have to park it somewhere other than a car show, it's a no go. There are activity restrictions as well such as certain types of racing and this does include modification. I was specifically asked about use of nitrous and the reasoning behind having a large 455 in the car. If your car is heavily modified, Hagerty and Grundy won't be likely to insure it.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Yup. There are not only mileage restrictions but there are also usage restrictions. Can't take them to work, run errands etc. basically if you have to park it somewhere other than a car show, it's a no go. There are activity restrictions as well such as certain types of racing and this does include modification. I was specifically asked about use of nitrous and the reasoning behind having a large 455 in the car. If your car is heavily modified, Hagerty and Grundy won't be likely to insure it.

Yup the main reason I have not went with them.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
Forget Chubb. They require at least one of your multiple vehicles to be 30 model years old or older.

I'm not sure what this statement means. I have a client who uses Chubb Agreed Value Coverage on a 1987 Porsche. I have many others who use Chubb for their 2010 Suburbans, etc.

4a7191a

Established Member
Hagerty quote on my 69 cougar, lightning and mach1 combined is cheaper for a year than through Allstate for 6 months. Keeping the f250 as a DD though Allstate though.
I've heard they're good on claims through a buddy of mine.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
I used Grundy on the 93 Cobra I had. No mileage limits, and they said they were cool with my driving it to work it the weather was nice, out to dinner, etc.

SVTPete83

Established Member
I used Grundy on the 93 Cobra I had. No mileage limits, and they said they were cool with my driving it to work it the weather was nice, out to dinner, etc.
Yep. I have grundy as well with no milage restrictions and I can drive it to work occasionally. They are cheap as well. For my atc trailer and cobra it's 700 a year.

-SVTPete

oldmodman

Established Member
I'm not sure what this statement means. I have a client who uses Chubb Agreed Value Coverage on a 1987 Porsche. I have many others who use Chubb for their 2010 Suburbans, etc.

Might be different state by state. But when I went to their site at 11am Tuesday and put in my vehicles it displayed a pop up message that said I do not qualify for their agreed value coverage since none of my vehicles was 30 years old or older.

Entrenched

Established Member
I've had Haggerty for awhile now and have had a total loss due to an engine fire. They paid the claim fast, hired an expert to determine the cause, and went after the shop that built the care for shoddy work. I think the process of filing a claim with Haggerty is the reason I've never switched even though Grundy would be cheaper.

LS2GTO

Established Member
Might be different state by state. But when I went to their site at 11am Tuesday and put in my vehicles it displayed a pop up message that said I do not qualify for their agreed value coverage since none of my vehicles was 30 years old or older.

It definitely varies by state. In Massachusetts a car has to be 25 years or older to be considered a classic, so alot of these type of insurance companies can't touch my 2006 car for that reason alone regardless of how rare the car is.

Basically, I can insure a 1990 run of the mill Mustang, but something like a 2006 Viper I can't.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
I did a quick quote on my cobra. Came out to like 960 a year. There were numerous options as far as mileage goes.

Chubb was recently bought out IIRC. They're not so fancy anymore. Used to love seeing a Chubb car run through the shop. You could write it to the moon.

I'll check out Grundy and compare. Mileage isn't much of a concern as it won't be driven much. But thanks for the info on the claim. I've never filed a claim before, hopefully it'll stay that way. But just one of those just incase scenarios. I'd be livid to get a blue book check on NY car vs what I have in it

sleek98

Established Member
I use Berkly insurance on my 69, It was 150 for 16k in coverage per year, then I slid under a tahoe doing 11k in damage and they raised my rate to 165 a year. I have to have a DD but I can use the car for pleasure, I dont know the mileage restriction as they have never asked for the mileage on the car.

Not sure what their year requirements are, but if you want my brokers name and number just shoot me a message.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
It definitely varies by state. In Massachusetts a car has to be 25 years or older to be considered a classic, so alot of these type of insurance companies can't touch my 2006 car for that reason alone regardless of how rare the car is.

Basically, I can insure a 1990 run of the mill Mustang, but something like a 2006 Viper I can't.

They (edit: Hagerty) quoted my 97 Viper, and I am from Massachusetts. I think it has more to do with specific models/years to be honest.

Last edited:

cbj5259

Established Member
My 2006 Viper is insured through Grundy. They were by far the lowest of the bunch. Hagerty was by far the highest. Hagerty quoted me $2100 for the year. Heacock came in at $1100 as well as a few others around $1000. Grundy came in at $720 for the year, no mileage restriction and agreed value.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I tried to get insured through one of the classic companies for my cobra. But I was in an at fault accident 4 years ago and none of the companies would insure me, even though it was very minor.

prs97

Established Member
I've had Hagerty for a few years on my Cobra and thankfully no claims (knocking on wood).

The policy conditions may depend on state too. I've driven mine to work on occasion & out for errands and they never had an issue with it. I definitely asked if this was allowed since I've read that others like Grundy were very restrictive.

Users who are viewing this thread