Anyone making $50k+/year without a college degree?

wallie40

Established Member
I make north of a 105k. I am 28 and no degree, hell i barely graduated highschool. It took me a long time to gain enough experience to get this far.

-pAul

venmos1

Established Member
this thread has gotten way out of hand. quite amusing how anyone can say its better to go to college, or college is useless look at all the rich people who never attended. people talk like "college" is one position or one route. many people leave out that there are many career routes through college. i would say that a negative with college is its ability for you to become specialized in something. does well with general knowledge in an area, but to become more specialized you more or less need grad school. but theres no guarantee with grad school either. you cant just say college is good or not. you have to look further at the path you take. for example, one major would be more beneficial than another. you can go spend 60k on school, graduate with a bachelors degree and then what. get a job if your lucky. but what if there arent many jobs in that area? then what? just like you can go to a trade school and learn a trade and be very good at what you do. once again, what if there are say 500 people competing for 50 positions? this is where the schooling systems f up. you have full time professors acting as advisors who could careless what you major in. a little guidance would be nice for that 60k. now like someone mentioned anyone can get into college. now all they want is your money. I have a bachelors degree in Marine Biology. one would think (like i did) the world is 75% water so there should be plenty of jobs...wrong. i have a job and make decent money. but im stuck on a boat for 30 days at a time. ive met many others that see the same issue as me..basically there arent any entry level jobs. then when you do find a job they want to pay you $11 an hour with out any benefits.
from what ive noticed its more of a who you know world. There is no one answer to this. who cares what someone thinks. if you can find a job that you enjoy and make enough money to satisfy yourself, then what else do you need? so the whole go to college or not is irrelevent. comes down to an individual basis and what one desires to do with his/her life.

SQ Stang

I'm an SIT WOO WOO
Established Member
wals9331 said:
Guitar Hero 2 rocks....

Hell yeah it does...on 360 :rockon:

Out of 5 of my friends, all are making a little less than what I am making right out of college. But they have had 4 years to gain experience and move up. By the end of the year, I will be making more than any of my friends without a degree.

Whizzle

Established Member
Spartan said:
thats ok for you... needless to say with a 2 week course i can start making 100K off the top compard to your 4 years and waiting for promotions :D

i bet

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
SQ Stang said:
Hell yeah it does...on 360 :rockon:

Out of 5 of my friends, all are making a little less than what I am making right out of college. But they have had 4 years to gain experience and move up. By the end of the year, I will be making more than any of my friends without a degree.

Yep, 360 version here. FTMFW :D

MonkeysL

Established Member
easy informantion to find out.........its not what u and your very very small group of friends do, its about EVERYBODY if u want real stats.

College Degree Nearly Doubles Annual Earnings,
Census Bureau Reports

New information from the U.S. Census Bureau reinforces the value of a college education: workers 18 and over with a bachelor’s degree earn an average of $51,206 a year, while those with a high school diploma earn $27,915. Workers with an advanced degree make an average of $74,602, and those without a high school diploma average $18,734.

C6 Vette

Established Member
The truth of the matter is in many cases it's not what you know , its who you know.

As for me I'm a public servant in our county's transit division. I have no college degree of any kind . Annual salary is $75K per year plus FULL medical,dental,vision benefits with a PPO or HMO of my choice as well as a great retirement package.....I will agree that a degree helps when it comes to upper positions but in many cases you will get the "your overqualified" response so as not to pay the salary you are requesting and therefore hire someone with a lesser educational background to cut expenditures.......

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
MonkeysL said:
easy informantion to find out.........its not what u and your very very small group of friends do, its about EVERYBODY if u want real stats.

Census Bureau Reports

New information from the U.S. Census Bureau reinforces the value of a college education: workers 18 and over with a bachelor’s degree earn an average of $51,206 a year, while those with a high school diploma earn $27,915. Workers with an advanced degree make an average of $74,602, and those without a high school diploma average $18,734.

LIES!!! :p

musclefan21

Established Member
I am a restaurant and bar manager at a big hotel and i get paid 25k a year. i have dgree. this is my first management job and i feel like i am being used. i asked for 35k but they don't seem to be happy about it. i might get a little raise on may 15th but at the most 30k

so should i quit and look for somethingelse or be slave here and work my ass off and make less than front office ASSISTANT manager UNEDUCATED piece of junk girl? (We both worked for front desk and we both got promoted at the same time. i went to food & bavarage dept. and she became front office assistant manager. i have been at the property less than 1 year and she has been at the property for 4 years.) SHOULD I QUIT?

suggestions? maybe i should post a thread about this..

Last edited:

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
musclefan21 said:
I am a restaurant and bar manager at a big hotel and i get paid 25k a year. i have dgree. this is my first management job and i feel like i am being used. i asked for 35k but they don't seem to be happy about it. i might get a little raise on may 15th but at the most 30k

so should i quit and look for somethingelse or be slave here and work my ass off and make less than front office ASSISTANT manager UNEDUCATED piece of junk girl? (We both worked for front desk and we both got promoted at the same time. i went to food & bavarage dept. and she became front office assistant manager. i have been at the property less than 1 year and she has been at the property for 4 years. SHOULD I QUIT?

Get another job first and THEN quit.....

assasyn

Established Member
MonkeysL said:

Census Bureau Reports

That's kind of a funny statistic. When and at what point in their careers was this measurement taken?

I don't find the non-high school educated number unplausable though.

musclefan21 said:

so should i quit and look for somethingelse or be slave here and work my ass off and make less than front office ASSISTANT manager UNEDUCATED piece of junk girl? (We both worked for front desk and we both got promoted at the same time. i went to food & bavarage dept. and she became front office assistant manager. i have been at the property less than 1 year and she has been at the property for 4 years. SHOULD I QUIT?

WTF is your degree in?

Dusten

Established Member
mc01svt said:
Its amazing how so many mustang owners are pulling in 6 figures! :eek:

on teh interweb at least :bored:

Do you have to drive a nice car if you pull in bigg $$$?
One of my best friends makes a little over 3500 a week after taxes. He has three cars, a 1997 Expedition, 1989 F-350 and 1980 F-250. Not everyone dumps big money into cars, just because they have it.

Dusten said:
Do you have to drive a nice car if you pull in bigg $$$?
One of my best friends makes a little over 3500 a week after taxes. He has three cars, a 1997 Expedition, 1989 F-350 and 1980 F-250. Not everyone dumps big money into cars, just because they have it.

I would!:lol: If I made that much, I would immediately buy $250k in cars.

musclefan21

Established Member
Euphoric One said:
WTF is your degree in?

Hotel and Tourism management Highschool 4 years and graduated from service and bar department and i went to university and studied Hotel and Tourism management for 2 years and because of economical problems, i had to quit going to school and didn't graduate from university but i have the paper that shows i have been to university for 2 years.
(These are from Istanbul, Turkey)

Dusten

Established Member
Euphoric One said:
I would!:lol: If I made that much, I would immediately buy $250k in cars.
He spends it elsewhere, he has a very nice airboat, a huge house and both his daughters have college paid for(one is 17 and one is 11)

dustin

Supercharged
Established Member
wals9331 said:
And once again i seem to make the lowest amount of money on here....weird...

Don't feel bad. I'm in the same boat as you. Nobody wants to pay engineers what they are worth anymore. B-school is an alternative.

+2 on the sucking somebody off statement. That is exactly how some people get ahead, by stepping on others.

schef

Established Member
I made 70K last year driving a lumber truck. I have been there almost 7 years and I just turned 24yrs. I was forced to get a job during high school by my parents

SVT04

Established Member
SOLISIMO said:
but how long will it take you to pay off your schooling:shrug:

That is irrelevant and a stupid question at best. It does not matter how much his education cost or how long it will take to pay back the cost. In reality it will be a small drop in the years that will amount to a career.

To many losers will not amount to anything because they are too lazy to get off their asses and make something of themselves....they have a whole range of excuses....It's too hard...or It will take too long to pay off student loans....or I want something with less effort and more pay....and the list goes on....

Users who are viewing this thread