Anyone making $50k+/year without a college degree?

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
camaross0002 said:
I am at 19k so far for the year and I was furloughed for all of january. I went to college for a year and a half got 28 credits towards an associates and I said I can't sit there everyday in a classroom. So I quite college did the airport think for 7 years making 50k then said screw that, went to the railroad as a conductor made 50k in 8 months and 14k at the last job. This year I am at 75% pay scale and I am going to clear atleast 75k when I hit a 100% I should be making in the range of 100k plus.

You can get a job making 50k plus starting out but without the degree in some fields they might cut you loose for someone with a degree. That is why I went to the railroad because as a conductor or engineer you don't need a degree. But the funny thing is almost 3/4 of the people I work with out of 150 plus people have a degree and don't use them. They have degrees from school teacher, to nursing degrees, to law enforcement. Degrees don't mean as much as they used to in alot of fields but in some fields they mean nothing.

I have a friend who's a conductor. That's a really good job if you like trains enough to ride them all day. There are people making over $100K with really good health plans and retirement.

C6 Vette

Established Member
mc01svt said:
Yeah, but that was not the implication in my post..........

I simply find it interesting that there seems to a "discrepancy" betweem e-salaries and real salaries.

the majority of the people in this country DO NOT make over 100K/yr. If you are reading this thread and you are still in high school/college/tech please do not graduate thinking you'll be making that kind of change. :smmon:

SVTP is not an accurate reflection of the real world!! :idea:

+1 Excellent post

Maybe at most 5% of the total population brings home six figures but according to this thread it seems its 40%....:rollseyes

JD_2001_svt

Established Member
mc01svt said:
Yeah, but that was not the implication in my post..........

I simply find it interesting that there seems to a "discrepancy" betweem e-salaries and real salaries.

the majority of the people in this country DO NOT make over 100K/yr. If you are reading this thread and you are still in high school/college/tech please do not graduate thinking you'll be making that kind of change. :smmon:

I totally agree with this. SVT drivers seem to be occupationally superior to the average American.

Oh yeah. I just quit my job and took one as a sex toy sales rep making around 275,000 a year. So there! E-wealth rules.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
A few of my opinions on the subject, which this thread seems to support...

A college education will open doors for you that will not be there for someone without the degree. Person A with a degree and Person B without a degree can both drive a truck for a living. But Person B cannot become an Engineer.

At the age of college graduation, about 21 or 22, Person A and Person B will be making roughly the same amount. The 4 years or so of experience will substitute for the 4 years of education. However, Person A is just starting at their job, whereas Person B has been at it for 4 years.

In the end it depends on what the individual wants to do. College isn't for everyone, and that's fine. But I would never feel like I wasted my time getting a degree. I studied what I wanted to and had a hell of a lot of fun.

On a personal note, the wealthiest individual I know only got to his position through education (a hell of a lot of hard work and a bit of luck too, but it would be impossible for him to have started his business without his education).

SQ Stang

I'm an SIT WOO WOO
Established Member
Spartan said:
hmmmmm college trains you for jack shit bro... most people out of college takes them 6 months or longer to find a job. Coming out of school teaches nothign unless you intership at a company prior....

Try this, I graduated with a B.S. degree. Moved back to Houston, applied and was hired the next day. :poke:

rust0r

Established Member
mc01svt said:
Its amazing how so many mustang owners are pulling in 6 figures! :eek:

on teh interweb at least :bored:

mc01svt said:

heres another way to look at it, most people on the board own 35K cars with 10 - 20K in mods into them, make a decent salary, if they don't, and own these cars, they live with mom and pops and sink ever penny into them, its not like you're looking on a general of "people", it would be similar to getting on a ferrari board and tell them 'ya i find it hard to believe you ALL are millionaires", look at your sample population, most people have 40 - 50K tied up in their ONE car, some more

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
rust0r said:
heres another way to look at it, most people on the board own 35K cars with 10 - 20K in mods into them, make a decent salary, if they don't, and own these cars, they live with mom and pops and sink ever penny into them, its not like you're looking on a general of "people", it would be similar to getting on a ferrari board and tell them 'ya i find it hard to believe you ALL are millionaires", look at your sample population, most people have 40 - 50K tied up in their ONE car, some more

I think people on this board are just way too comfortable living under a mountain of debt.

assasyn

Established Member
I don't see everyone saying they are making 100k. I see a lot saying 50k+.

It makes me think that there is a greater concentration of wealth (for lack of a better term) on a performance car boars, than just a random sample.

Yeah though, don't come out thinking you are going to be on cribs in the first year of work or even yet, ever.

Dusten

Established Member
SQ Stang said:
Try this, I graduated with a B.S. degree. Moved back to Houston, applied and was hired the next day. :poke:
It just takes effort. My fiance was hired on where she works, three weeks before she graduated(she just graduated at the end of march with her Bach in Business Admin/Accounting, and the requisite 225 Quarter Hours to take her CPA)

ROCMAN

Big Boned!
Established Member
College really depends on what route you want to take. If you are going to run your own business, and you have a lot of experience in that field, college may not be for you. If you want to tackle the corporate world, then college may be for you. Only you can answer that question.

As many have said, it's all about who you know, not what you know. Politics in the corporate world sux, but you have to play the game if you want to get ahead. I personally wont kiss ass, so I went out on my own.

I personally think education is very important, but not necessary. The more business training you have, the better off you are. I have no degree, and my major was electronics engineering. My current field has nothing to do with that, and I make more than any engineer that I know of. Just because it did not work for me, does not mean it will not work for you.

There are always different outcomes for every situation. To say that there is only one rule, with some exceptions, is not very smart.

C6 Vette

Established Member
rust0r said:

At this point in time these cars are roughly $25K and most are running around that are modded are your pullied,tune,intake,exhaust variety and thats hardly enough to eclipse over the $30K mark...

C6 Vette

Established Member
ROCMAN said:
College really depends on what route you want to take. If you are going to run your own business, and you have a lot of experience in that field, college may not be for you. If you want to tackle the corporate world, then college may be for you. Only you can answer that question.

As many have said, it's all about who you know, not what you know. Politics in the corporate world sux, but you have to play the game if you want to get ahead. I personally wont kiss ass, so I went out on my own.

I personally think education is very important, but not necessary. The more business training you have, the better off you are. I have no degree, and my major was electronics engineering. My current field has nothing to do with that, and I make more than any engineer that I know of. Just because it did not work for me, does not mean it will not work for you.

There are always different outcomes for every situation. To say that there is only one rule, with some exceptions, is not very smart.

Great response!!!
I love that sig pic!!

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
I'm on page 3, and if it hasn't been said yet, Spartan is a ****ing idiot. That's all I have to contribute so far.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Spartan said:
hmmmm no its a Microsoft based class taught by microsft... it deals with management. its 10k cuz it includes 3 meals a day and lodging for 2 weeks...

I have taken, and will take courses like that also. Except they're paid for by my company, through a job I earned because of a degree. My publicly-traded company (not a lot of non-college folks will be running companies as such), will also pay for my Master's Degree, if and when I decide to go for it.

You're not special. You just happen to be a VOCAL part of a LUCKY minority.

Don't worry, I'll think of you when I see another 30+ year-old person through a drive-through window, or waxing my car.

By the way, this has been studied up the 'you-know-what':
http://gtresearchnews.gatech.edu/newsrelease/collegevalue.htm

When Colleges and Universities give you statistics on how much more money graduating High School, getting an Associate's or a Bachelor's Degree can get you, they are pandering - but they are also telling the truth.

I hope you never visit a doctor that's 'self-taught'...

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
C6 Vette said:
At this point in time these cars are roughly $25K and most are running around that are modded are your pullied,tune,intake,exhaust variety and thats hardly enough to eclipse over the $30K mark...

That's the resale value; not what anyone actually paid for one... I got mine for $34k brand new and have put about $10k into it; $5k of which were tires!

rust0r

Established Member
C6 Vette said:

hmm, thats weird, using your logic, for the amount of people that just supposedly bought cobras today, no one has posted "look at my new car" in the pics and vids section....

i think its safe to say the majority of people on this board have had their car for probably 2+ years, if not purchased brand new, also i think theres a fair amount of people that have put a KB on their car as well

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
assasyn said:
Here is a fact that grads and non-grads alike can go by. 99% of the time in business it's who you know, not what you know. Throw in hard work and determination and you have a winning combination.

+ 6847346398507058547365696704836256348

Users who are viewing this thread