Anyone making $50k+/year without a college degree?

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
My dad makes 150K a year with no college at all. He's worked for AT&T Business since he was 20 and he now was 40 years in. He's worked his ass off but he loves it.

He taught himself how to work the Cisco System's programming.

My mom makes like 50K a year as a Social worker for a low income Developmental Ped. She hasn't had a raise in 10 years but she loves what she does.

I have a 2 year and I made 29K last year. This year a little less because I was laid off and we are moving.

Its all in what you want to do. If you're happy with making 50K a year then cool.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
schef said:
I made 70K last year driving a lumber truck. I have been there almost 7 years and I just turned 24yrs. I was forced to get a job during high school by my parents

Have you said thank you lately?

ReducedFat

THE PONTIFICATOR
Established Member
Spartan said:
dont bet on it... more people without college degrees run business then people that do... im self taught and just fine with that... sure ill do a computer class here and there... but everything in the computer world i learned came from trial and error and teaching myself not from some school...

seriously i see college as another way of wasting money... screw math, history, science and blah blah blah what am i gonna use it for? NOTHING... you know what they need to do is make programs for jobs and thats it... like you wanna be a cop... heres law enforcement school... no college... or you wana be a doctor? ok heres med school... i think college is nothing more then a party and time waster... its funny cuz im smarter then most of the people i work with... i say let them have their 4 year degrees cuz their still morons with a peice of paper
Some people go to college not only for the job training, but for personal growth, refinement of logic, or a more accurate and informed world view.

Another reason is so they don't end up sounding like you.

svtjunkie

you've got red on you
Established Member
Dusten said:
Do you have to drive a nice car if you pull in bigg $$$?
One of my best friends makes a little over 3500 a week after taxes. He has three cars, a 1997 Expedition, 1989 F-350 and 1980 F-250. Not everyone dumps big money into cars, just because they have it.

+1

My wife's uncle is a multi-millionaire and he drives an old ass camry and a mid 90's ranger.

musclefan21

Established Member
svtjunkie said:
+1

My wife's uncle is a multi-millionaire and he drives an old ass camry and an mid 90's ranger.

My father in-law is a millioner (i assume he's got like 50 million) he drives a lincoln zeffer or whatever it is.

SVT04

Established Member
ReducedFat said:
Some people go to college not only for the job training, but for personal growth, refinement of logic, or a more accurate and informed world view.

I agree....I think your last reason is the most accurate.

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
Almost all health or science professions require a higher degree. Even with my college degree, it was nearly impossible to find a job over $30K. Now I'm getting a grad degree so I can get a better job with a high salary. Even then, it's really competitive to find a job. Money isn't my main motivation. I don't want to dread going to work every day. I want look forward to going to work. Sometimes you have to take a pay cut to find a job you like. FordSVTfan is an example of this (although I don't know how much he makes or did make. Just assuming.)

I don't agree at all that most college classes are worthless. Even when you have a math class when you're an english major, taking math is valuable. It develops your critical thought process that can help you in all areas of thinking. It just trains your brain.

ViciousJay

Established Member
ReducedFat said:

hmmmmm college trains you for jack shit bro... most people out of college takes them 6 months or longer to find a job. Coming out of school teaches nothign unless you intership at a company prior....

schef

Established Member
Gringo185 said:
Have you said thank you lately?

Actually, I have praised them a lot but I don't want to do this for the rest of my life. I was training in mma but my parents that it was dumb and made me stop fighting and get a job instead. Now, I'm going to take a couple classes and try and become a fire fighter.

dsrtdukone

Hurts when I pee
Established Member
I am a journeyman Pipefitter, and I grossed $104,000 last year. I am the exception, not the rule.

SNAFU

Established Member
I average 150K as a sales rep for a small Home improvment company,but If we have a Hurricane anywhere close to our area I'll make over 250K,based on recent storms here.I've been in sales of one form or another for pretty much my whole working life and I can tell ya that, Sales is the Highest paid profession in the world,and also the lowest... just depends on your skills/products. I did graduate HS but no College.I do sometimes wish I would have gone to College,just for the Partying and experience.:banana:

SIr RicCuS

Orange County Horsepower
Established Member
This year I should break that without a sweat. I'm a Loan Officer out here in Orange County. I have my AA :lol1: , but only need 20 more units for my BD. I just haven't pursued it any further because of the fact that I can't work 10 hours a day, 5 days a week, and go to school... :-D

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
Spartan said:
hmmmmm college trains you for jack shit bro... most people out of college takes them 6 months or longer to find a job. Coming out of school teaches nothign unless you intership at a company prior....

Really. How about you try to be a doctor, lawyer, scientist, pharmacist, etc... without a college degree. Also, it is way easier to get a job with a college degree unless someone without one has years and years of experience. In my work, a Ph.D is the same as 10 years of experience from a person with a college degree. The same can be applied for a bachelor's versus no degree. Also, most college tracks require you to do internships so you have experience in your future field before starting.

StngStr

Mustang-less
Established Member
Spartan said:
not true at all my good man...i gott a friend that didnt even bother going to college and becuase he has people skills is making 70K+ as a manager at a carwash sniffing HOT MILFS seats :lol1:

as a matter of cat out of all my friends that have degrees and others that dont the ones that dont make more money... hmmmm :shrug: go , college is not what it used to be like... now any moron can get in with a f***in pen
Every post you make in this thread gets you closer and closer to "Dumbass of the Year" award.

:loser:

He posted a statistical fact and you say "not true at all" because "as a matter of cat" those of YOUR friends that don't have degrees make more money?

Haha....nice argument you're making there. :rollseyes :loser:

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
Dusten said:
Do you have to drive a nice car if you pull in bigg $$$?
One of my best friends makes a little over 3500 a week after taxes. He has three cars, a 1997 Expedition, 1989 F-350 and 1980 F-250. Not everyone dumps big money into cars, just because they have it.

Yeah, but that was not the implication in my post..........

I simply find it interesting that there seems to a "discrepancy" betweem e-salaries and real salaries.

the majority of the people in this country DO NOT make over 100K/yr. If you are reading this thread and you are still in high school/college/tech please do not graduate thinking you'll be making that kind of change. :smmon:

SVTP is not an accurate reflection of the real world!! :idea:

camaross0002

Established Member
I am at 19k so far for the year and I was furloughed for all of january. I went to college for a year and a half got 28 credits towards an associates and I said I can't sit there everyday in a classroom. So I quite college did the airport think for 7 years making 50k then said screw that, went to the railroad as a conductor made 50k in 8 months and 14k at the last job. This year I am at 75% pay scale and I am going to clear atleast 75k when I hit a 100% I should be making in the range of 100k plus.

You can get a job making 50k plus starting out but without the degree in some fields they might cut you loose for someone with a degree. That is why I went to the railroad because as a conductor or engineer you don't need a degree. But the funny thing is almost 3/4 of the people I work with out of 150 plus people have a degree and don't use them. They have degrees from school teacher, to nursing degrees, to law enforcement. Degrees don't mean as much as they used to in alot of fields but in some fields they mean nothing.

Silver03

Established Member
At least in the IT world, all a degree does for you is allows you to move into upper management once you have the experience to go with it. For entry and mid level positions, degrees dont provide any leg up whatsoever, especially when you are in the same job pool as someone with certifications and experience.

Users who are viewing this thread