• doberman

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • wait till I'm 100% ready for a new dog

Votes: 12 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

carnut101

Established Member
We had to put my German Shepherd/Lab mix to sleep 2 weeks ago. I'm not entirely over it, but we need a dog in the back yard for practical purposes, mostly to keep it from turning into a zoo with all the wildlife the dog would scare away. Conveniently, a friend is offering me a puppy from the litter his dog fathered. It would be a pure breed white gsd. Does anyone have experience with these dogs? I love the personality and character of black/tan German Shepherds and want to know if I can expect the same from a white one. Also, the AKC considers the white coat a flaw. Why? Is it the result of a genetic mutation like with white tigers?

On a side note, how do you guys like dobermans?

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
We had to put my German Shepherd/Lab mix to sleep 2 weeks ago. I'm not entirely over it, but we need a dog in the back yard for practical purposes, mostly to keep it from turning into a zoo with all the wildlife the dog would scare away. Conveniently, a friend is offering me a puppy from the litter his dog fathered. It would be a pure breed white gsd. Does anyone have experience with these dogs? I love the personality and character of black/tan German Shepherds and want to know if I can expect the same from a white one. Also, the AKC considers the white coat a flaw. Why? Is it the result of a genetic mutation like with white tigers?

On a side note, how do you guys like dobermans?

I don't have a white GS, but HOLY CRAP. If you are really getting a purebred one for free, jump on that MF'ing deal. Those things are pretty expensive. I have a neighbor who has one, a 1.5 year-old male. It is one of the nicest, most well-trained dogs I have seen in a while. He even walks it without a leash, it is so trained.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
My neighbor has a white one and I have 2 other friends with white ones also, Other than the white coat they are a normal GSD.
For years the white was considered a flaw (And still is by the AKC) but a lot of people love them now. You will find no difference in the dogs personality and character just from the color.

Considering I have 2 of them I still love the traditional black/tan.

svtcobrar2004

Established Member
i have a big girl black and tan shepherd. i miss her. but how much do these white sheperds run for? i'm pretty interested.

codyPKA

Dr. Rockso
Established Member
wow i never new there were white ones. I had a regular one as a kid, unbelievable dog, so smart and well behaved.

but yea like others have said, if its the same breed, color should make no difference in behavior

GodStang

Established Member
My sister has two pure white GS. Beautiful dogs!! Very Very good dogs and very obedient.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
I'd go after the free one. I have a black/tan female german shepard right now. Shes a great dog. Theyre really smart and loyal. Their personality really depends on how you raise them. They are usually really protective also, which can be a good or bad thing..

Heres my current one. Shes real friendly... But clumsy and reminds me more of a lab than a shepard.
0421092148.jpg

1221081446a.jpg

One of my previous German Shepards. He was REAL protective.. And a beast. lol. 130lbs. It took longer for him to trust someone that came into the house, but once he knew you, he was your best friend. We were putting together a brick patio thing and he decided that he was going to lay down right in the middle of it.
HPIM13922.jpg

My current female german shepard was supposed to be a show dog. We adopted her after her owner was diagnosed with cancer and couldnt take care of her anymore. I felt real bad for the guy, but we made sure that he knew he could come see her anytime he wanted to. My previous one was also a purebread but came right out of Germany.

Last edited:

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
A friend of mine adopted a white GS out of a rescue organization, he loves it. I haven't had the chance to meet it yet (I think it's a girl but I'm not sure, hence the "it") but I'm hoping to this weekend. I love the way they look.

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
I love my GS, He's traditional color. But either way, color doesn't matter to me.

As you already know, they are very very smart and fantastic protectors, friends and companions.

G/L with whatever you choose.:rockon:

Mikeyb619

Cobra Commander
Established Member
you can't go wrong with a german shepherd (any color) imo...

German shepherds are one of the most loyal, intelligent breeds there are. Dobermans are cool but I'd take a nice German shep over one anyday.

White Shepherds tho are rare and beautiful, I say do it!

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Sorry to hear about your other dog.

Post some pics of the GSD. I don't think I've seen a white one.

ImportsSuk

DelValMuscleCars
Established Member
i voted Doberman but then again i'm a little biased:

1212106.jpg

not sure about GSD's, but in Dobe's it is a genetic mutation and is considered a flaw and a disqualification by the AKC. the mutation of the color gene is called "Z-Factored" and any reputalble breeder will not breed a Z Factored dog due to several health, vision and skin disorders.

DPCA | The Doberman | Albino | What is albino

carnut101

Established Member
You guys definitely have me leaning towards picking him up as soon as he's ready to live life without mommy.

carrrnuttt, he's free for me only :p. From a quick search online, it looks like purebreds sell for $800-1500.

And this is what they should look like soon:
white%20german%20shepherd%20puppy%20-%2016%20days%20old%205.bmp

SNCBOOM

Established Member
I say wait. ImportsSuk is correct, I would never get a dog from an unethical breeder [Which I'm sure most people with white GSDs are]. If you're serious about bringing a dog into your home do yourself a favor and do a little research first, GSDs have a LOT of health problems. I wouldn't want to bring home a puppy that is going to need expensive procedures and medication throughout it's lifetime. A good way of offering some insurance for that is to find a breeder that does health testing on their breeding stock and has all of the information in the OFA database. And generally speaking I wouldn't want a dog from a breeder that doesn't title their dogs in either working [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schutzhund] or conformation or both. Also, the cost of a puppy means nothing. Anyone can charge $1,500 for a dog but I'm not going to pay that unless I see a reason why I should [health testing on sire/dam, nutrition, and other costs associated with the litter]. I can assure you that a back yard breeder doesn't incur enough costs to legitimately charge more than $100 or so.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I've only seen a couple of white shepherds.
Look cool, would rather the black/tan GS though. jmo.

carnut101

Established Member
I say wait. ImportsSuk is correct, I would never get a dog from an unethical breeder [Which I'm sure most people with white GSDs are]. If you're serious about bringing a dog into your home do yourself a favor and do a little research first, GSDs have a LOT of health problems. I wouldn't want to bring home a puppy that is going to need expensive procedures and medication throughout it's lifetime. A good way of offering some insurance for that is to find a breeder that does health testing on their breeding stock and has all of the information in the OFA database. And generally speaking I wouldn't want a dog from a breeder that doesn't title their dogs in either working []Error or conformation or both. Also, the cost of a puppy means nothing. Anyone can charge $1,500 for a dog but I'm not going to pay that unless I see a reason why I should [health testing on sire/dam, nutrition, and other costs associated with the litter]. I can assure you that a back yard breeder doesn't incur enough costs to legitimately charge more than $100 or so.

Why would most white gsd breeders be unethical? This comes back to my original question regarding whether the white coat is the result of a genetic mutation, inbreeding, etc. I have 2 weeks to do research, but at first glance, it doesn't seem like unethical breeding is an issue with these dogs. I have had other German Shepherds and am aware of their health problems. I love the breed regardless.

Having a proper breeder and titled dogs is great, but when it comes down to it, if I like this particular dog's personality and if it's relatively healthy, I'll want to bring it home.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Why would most white gsd breeders be unethical? This comes back to my original question regarding whether the white coat is the result of a genetic mutation, inbreeding, etc. I have 2 weeks to do research, but at first glance, it doesn't seem like unethical breeding is an issue with these dogs. I have had other German Shepherds and am aware of their health problems. I love the breed regardless.

Having a proper breeder and titled dogs is great, but when it comes down to it, if I like this particular dog's personality and if it's relatively healthy, I'll want to bring it home.

I would consider someone that is breeding for cash pretty unethical personally. Articles

----------------
Now playing: Iron Maiden - Killers
via FoxyTunes

ImportsSuk

DelValMuscleCars
Established Member
I would consider someone that is breeding for cash pretty unethical personally. Articles

QUOTE]

this. while i did pay a decent amount for my Doberman, my breeder has sacrificed the time and effort with these dogs to do the best she can in breeding a healthy dog. she has invested the time to find a healthy mate that complimented the bitch she bred. she is very active with rescue, the DPCA, etc... this is all done for the betterment of the breed as a whole. i am certain that the amount i paid just barely covered the cost of the cropping/docking/vet bills. i have his pedigree that goes back 30 years and are all titled dogs/bitches. while titling doesn't guarantee that your dog won't have any problems it's a little assurance that the chances are less than with a BYB. in fact, she is showing 2 of Geno's sisters and are doing very well in the ring. i would also be wary of someone who has several litters by the same bitch in a year.

my advice would be to join or even just search through a good GSD website and learn as much as you can about the White GSD's before making a decision. i was pretty well uninformed when i first started looking for Dobes and wound up joining a site called DobermanTalk and through all the research i did i was able to find a reputable breeder. best of luck to you :beer:

edited to add: i am in no way bashing or talking negatively towards your friend's breeding as i do not know the circumstances behind it. just throwing out some info to help you make a very important and well informed decision.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread