Anyone regret removing the gray coating on the inside of their stock wheels?

liedenfrost

Established Member
Evidently, there is a nice chrome finish under the gray coating on our stock wheels and it can be removed. What are the Pros and Cons to doing this? Anyone regret removing it?

brads1

Established Member
Evidently, there is a nice chrome finish under the gray coating on our stock wheels and it can be removed. What are the Pros and Cons to doing this? Anyone regret removing it?

If you have chrome wheels and you're talking about the painted area behind the face of the wheels, if you remove it you'll have a completely chrome wheel to maintain...

If you have the normal painted wheel, and you're planning on removing the paint, you're not going to find chrome.

BBCOBRA

Established Member
I did mine a while back and am satisfied. They wont look what I call great since the chrome is thin and 3 out 4 of mine had a slightly bare spot where you could see the copper under coat. you cant see this from out side the car though. I just keep them sprayed off. My paint was coming off anyway and I didn't like the way the areas between the spokes were all uneven where the paint was wearing away.

all in all I like them.

brads1

Established Member
I did mine a while back and am satisfied. They wont look what I call great since the chrome is thin and 3 out 4 of mine had a slightly bare spot where you could see the copper under coat. you cant see this from out side the car though. I just keep them sprayed off. My paint was coming off anyway and I didn't like the way the areas between the spokes were all uneven where the paint was wearing away.

all in all I like them.

damn, that kinda sucks... bare copper? So does it oxidize green?

mystic04

Established Member
i took off part of the coating not all of it and like the way they look.i left on the coating way in the backremoved back to the second small ridge about 2 or 3 inches more than where the stock chrome stopped..

slvrbk04

Established Member
coating on chrome wheels

The chrome on back of the rim is often thin, scratched, and or peeling. Remove the gray coating at your own risk, but chances are you will not discover four flawless rims when all is said and done.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I removed mine 4 years ago and consider it a very good, free improvement. Chrome is in very good condition and realy improves the overall look of the wheels. No regrets.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
To those unsure, do use the link I provided above and look at the AFTER pics. I think you'll then be convinced.

XtraTQ

Established Member
To those unsure, do use the link I provided above and look at the AFTER pics. I think you'll then be convinced.

They definitely convinced me! I think I'll give it a shot this week.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
HAHA. I just bought the stuff to do this the other day and was planning on doing it today.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Then explain the statue of liberty. I do not recall it being soldered together. ;-)

Why Does Copper Turn Green?

The natural weathering of copper is a direct consequence of the corrosive attack of airborne sulfur compounds. This leads to a gradual change in the surface color until equilibrium is reached and the change is stabilized. The final color is different and depends on the location and local weather. Salt, moisture, sunlight and orientation can affect the final color. In general, copper changes in hue from a natural salmon through a progression of russet browns, grays and finally to a blue-green or gray-green patina.

Because copper appears low in the reactivity scale of metals, the formation of patina takes an extended period of time, usually 8 to10 years. Compare this with a matter of hours for the formation of rust (iron oxide) on a cleaned steel surface.

The formation of patina also slows down further oxidation once it is established, and this is why there are buildings throughout Europe with copper sheeted roofs—some of which are hundreds of years old.

-thecopperstar.com

BBCOBRA

Established Member
damn, that kinda sucks... bare copper? So does it oxidize green?

It hasn't been long enough for them to turn if they will at all. I treated the wheels with wax before putting them back on. I typically wash the insides of the wheels when I rotate them anyway.

Overall they look great. You definately cant see these spots from outside the car anyway.

Evan5469

Established Member
I did mine a few months back and I love the look of all chrome instead of having the gray coating. Gives it a better overall look and I think the wheels are easier to keep clean. I have no regrets about doing it.

I used the instructions on CobraBob's website and it worked perfectly. Just make sure your arms and legs are covered because that aircraft remover stuff will burn you.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I just finished mine. It took about an hour to do the front two. The rear two wheels came without the coating because they are aftermarket 10.5" wheels. They look perfect on the inside!

-Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread