Anyone use cash back perks on credit cards?

Kobra Khan

Krazy SVT Poster!
Established Member
With all the bonus offers that all of these credit cards have, I was wondering who uses cards for getting extra cash back and what the total was?

I saved about $1500 this year using these cards:

5% back on all gas at any pump using PenFed Visa
5% back on all restaurants and fast food using Citi Forward Visa
6% back on all groceries purchased in supermarkets using Amex Blue Cash.
5% back on internet, insurance, phone, and cable bills using the US bank plus card
2% back on all misc purchases that don't fall into any of the above categories using Fidelity Amex Investment

Balances are paid off each month, and there's no yearly fee on the cards.

For those that frequent Sam's Club and Walmart often, you can get a card that pays 5% at drugstores during certain times of the year. Go to a drugstore and buy a MC/Visa $500 gift card which nets 4% cash back after fee. Use $500 gift card that you just bought to buy Sam's Club/ Wal Mart gift cards online at a 2 -3% discount at Cardpool, Plastic Jungle, etc.

You just saved 6-7% at Sam's Club

Buy on Amazon often? Use an Amex Blue Cash to get you 6% off the Amazon gift card purchased at a supermarket like Giant Eagle.

Only takes 15 minutes per month logging onto the websites to get the cash back gift cards once you accumulate enough points.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I've made a ton of money off the CC deals. I requested to not have a company credit card and instead to be reimbursed for all my expenses and purchases. Payroll can't figure out why I would want to use my own card. LOL The big wins are from the get $500 after you spend $3000 kind of cards.

Someone told me I would screw up my credit doing this, not that I care. But I had a mortgage broker friend of mine run my credit. He gave me 3 scores I only recall 2, 784 and 801.

That green Fidelity AMEX is my favorite card. I roll that into my ROTH every year.

I've heard that 6% grocery store AMEX works on gift cards you buy. I haven't tried it yet though.

Love the Penn Fed Visa with 5% cash back on gas. And their car loan rates. I paid cash for my CTS-V but I might take a loan out on through Penn Fed next time they offer 1% car loans.

Last edited:

PureStang

Established Member
I never understood why people don't use CCs to their advantage. 90% of my friends give me dirty looks when I use my credit card for everything. I get cash back bonuses, and they cant seem to get their mind around it. They always use cash or their debit card because they dont want a debt...as long as you pay it off at the end of month youre ok...

Last time I ran my credit score was when I financed my card, and my score was hovering around 800-825. Hell, I put my down payment on my credit card as well just to get the cash back benefit.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
I never understood why people don't use CCs to their advantage. 90% of my friends give me dirty looks when I use my credit card for everything.

Ditto. I have a $1,000 Sears gift card sitting in my safe that I got for free. Never paid any interest, but still get the rewards. I recently started using a different card, a Southwest Rapid Rewards card. It came with 50,000 free miles. I flew to CA and it was only 14,000 miles round trip. Thanks for all the free vacations! :rockon:

usmcsvtwannabe

Not a noob
Established Member
I just used about $500 in rewards points cash as an extra car payment, only reason I even thought about my rewards was because of this thread lol

Fuerza

Established Member
I use the Amex BCP, Discover card and Priceline 2% Visa cash back cards for pretty much everything. I earned $500 last quarter, but several gift cards with that extra money and paid for a portion of my DLSR camera.

I'm working on setting up the Chase Ultimate Rewards cards. 3 Chase cards all earning rewards working them together.

Never paid a dime in interest charges.

Kobra Khan

Krazy SVT Poster!
Established Member
I use the Amex BCP, Discover card and Priceline 2% Visa cash back cards for pretty much everything. I earned $500 last quarter, but several gift cards with that extra money and paid for a portion of my DLSR camera.

I'm working on setting up the Chase Ultimate Rewards cards. 3 Chase cards all earning rewards working them together.

Never paid a dime in interest charges.

If you are grandfathered in with the Amex BCP, there's no $6000 yearly limit and you get the full 6% regardless of how much you bought. What a badass card.

I wish my company would let me use my own credit cards for travel. Now that would be some free money!

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
I just went over my 2012 CC statement, and I cashed in $200 worth of rewards, took $120 as a rebate check and $80 as a credit on my Dec. statement.

nlterminator

Mello Yellow
Established Member
I use a card with air mile rewards and every 2 years I have enough points for 4-5 tickets to anywhere in mainland US/Canada. Last couple trips we booked to Florida tickets would have been around 600-700 each. The only way using a credit card will impact your credit score is if you are carrying a balance of more than 60-70% of its limit on a regular basis, if you miss any minimum payments and if you ever exceed your credit limit. Those that do not use a revolving credit facility will normally see their credit scores lower than someone that does. Credit scores are based off your abilities to operate both installment credit ( loans with fixed monthly payments) and revoloving credit ( credit cards and line of credits).

I also have a AMEX that I use just at Costco for purchases and fuel that I normally get a nice rebate each year. If your going to spend money just as well to get something back for it. Ideally you want to pay the balance off every month so you pay no interest, cant remember the last time I paid a cent of interest on a credit card

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yes, and I love them. Primary is our Costo American Express, and my second one is a BJ's Visa (which I don't use as much). Always nice to get a check in the mail in a large amount that you can spend anywhere (because at Costco if your rebate check is, say, $1,100.00 you can buy an item for $25.00 there and get the balance back in cash to spend elsewhere). :thumbsup:

Fuerza

Established Member
If you are grandfathered in with the Amex BCP, there's no $6000 yearly limit and you get the full 6% regardless of how much you bought. What a badass card.

I wish my company would let me use my own credit cards for travel. Now that would be some free money!

Unfortunately I'm not grandfathered, app'd in Nov of 2012. I don't churn with BCP I have a family and 2 kids so I'll use that 6% on $6000 with normal daily spending, plus I use it for the 3% on gas so I more than use it for its worth.

Chris0304

Established Member
I don't even own a cc but I think I maybe I need to get one to take advantage of these deals...

Users who are viewing this thread