Anyone visited a pacific island where a WW2 battle took place?

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
Planning a trip to the pacific next year and with so many to pick from I don't know where to start. I've thought about Guam and Saipan so far.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I was station in Guam from 06-07 with the Coast Guard on a Patrol Boat.. I saw all the islands there, Guam, Saipan, Tinian, Rota, Muag, Palau, Johnston Atoll, Kwadgalin atll (sp), etc etc.. Very cool shit out there if you're into history like I am..

Last edited:

Coiled03

Established Member
Isn't Midway in the Pacific? Or is my geography completely jacked up?

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Truk saw several big battles between US and Japanese forces, if I recall correctly. If you dive, Truk lagoon is supposed to be the place to go.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Midway is out that way, as well as Wake Island..

In 06 we homeport transfered out 110ft ship from HI, to Guam, About a 2.5week trip.. We made a lot of stops along the way that was totally awesome, I got to see all those places for free, if only I had a damn camera back then ahahaha.. Sucks being 18 and a E3 ahaha

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
I spent more than 10 years in the Pacific at all sorts of different locations. Korea, Guam, Okinawa, Philippines, etc. Okinawa has some pretty impressive WW2 sites you can see. You can even explore some of the Japanese underground tunnels used as a HQ during the war.

U.M.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I made a thread about my visit to Iwo Jima while I was stationed in Okinawa. It was awesome and if you get a chance to go do it!

Last edited:

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Don't know if Tarawa could be visited or not? But a lot of hard lessons was learned in that amphibious invasion that later on was put to use in the later Pacific island campaign and D-day landings.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I'm going to the National Museum of the Pacific War in Fredericksburg next weekend, which is also the home of Admiral Nimitz. Can't wait.

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
Peleliu looks like it may be one of the easier ones to visit. Guam and Saipan are fairly easy to get to.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Peleliu looks like it may be one of the easier ones to visit. Guam and Saipan are fairly easy to get to.
I spent two years on Guam and I don't remember them having much to see that is WW2 related. There are a few dive spots with WW2 wrecks you can go to though.

However if you're using Guam as a jump point for a visit to Truk then that's a different story.

U.M.

Users who are viewing this thread