Anyone wearing these power balance bands?

20+psi

700+rwhp club
Established Member
My bud was selling them at work so I bought a wrist band and a necklace. I don't know if it was a mental thing because I was wearing it or what but today at work I was so focused on my task, time flew by. Am I crazy?

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
Lucy_CharlieBrown-779461.gif

gullible-791502.jpg

Last edited:

347zz5.0

Established Member
The placebo effect is a very powerful thing, and often very underestimated. And also recent data shows that the placebo effect is actually getting stronger.

Pseudoscience + Placebo effect= profit.

All independent test have showed that what is going on here is, gasp, the placebo effect. And recently the company has removed most of this products supposed claims.

Just a couple links...

BBC News - Power Balance band is placebo, say experts
Power Balance band 'a pricey placebo' - Telegraph

In the commercials you will see real people trying it out and it appears that it works. But the smoke and mirrors part of it is not from the people trying it out, but rather the person conducting the tests, it's an act. He pushes you hard without the band, you put the band on, he pushes you again but not as hard, and you are anticipating his push again so you naturally react differently making it appear as if some "force" is giving you strength.

I can hear P.T. Barnum chuckle from his grave.

Last edited:

20+psi

700+rwhp club
Established Member
Ah Ha!! I want my money back! lol Well it has me fooled. So now when I see others wearing it I will no I am not alone. :)

TheShadow

Hey, you're a funny guy.
Established Member
I apologize; I just laughed out loud. At you, thus the apology. It's like "The Force" though. If it feels good, just go with it.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
I say if it does what you were expecting, even if its all in your head, its worth it.

But the more you doubt it the more your results will lessen.

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
Would you like to buy the Brooklyn Bridge??? I haver the title to it and will let it go cheap...LMK ASAP; I've got a lot of other interested buyers but for a fellow SVTP'r, I put you at the top of the list!!!

Krwy

Established Member
There are like 6 guys at work who wear them. Its a rubber band with a magnet. I see no way in hell that it will work.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The placebo effect is a very powerful thing, and often very underestimated. And also recent data shows that the placebo effect is actually getting stronger.

Pseudoscience + Placebo effect= profit.

All independent test have showed that what is going on here is, gasp, the placebo effect. And recently the company has removed most of this products supposed claims.

Just a couple links...

BBC News - Power Balance band is placebo, say experts
Power Balance band 'a pricey placebo' - Telegraph

In the commercials you will see real people trying it out and it appears that it works. But the smoke and mirrors part of it is not from the people trying it out, but rather the person conducting the tests, it's an act. He pushes you hard without the band, you put the band on, he pushes you again but not as hard, and you are anticipating his push again so you naturally react differently making it appear as if some "force" is giving you strength.

I can hear P.T. Barnum chuckle from his grave.
Excellent points. IMO those bands are nothing more than snake oil. And it's making some people rich when you consider the product probably costs .50 to make and it sells for around $25. Someone had me wear one for my knee issue. Nada! Didn't work. And I tried to be open minded.

There is a test these salespeople do to "show" how the bands help your balance. In the test the salesperson pushes hard against your body/arms for a few seconds. You lose your balance, of course. Then you immediately put on the band and the salesperson pushes against your body again. This time you don't lose your balance. I was convinced it was simply your body having been conditioned to respond in the second test having lost its balance in the first. To prove it, I had the salesperson push against me, and of course I lost my balance. I then refused to put on the band and instead had the person again push against my body in the same way he would if I had the band on. Guess what? As I knew would happen, I didn't lose my balance. So much for the "balance" test. :dw:

IMO the bands only work if you want to believe they are working, even if they don't do a bloody thing except empty your wallet.

20+psi

700+rwhp club
Established Member
Excellent points. IMO those bands are nothing more than snake oil. And it's making some people rich when you consider the product probably costs .50 to make and it sells for around $25. Someone had me wear one for my knee issue. Nada! Didn't work. And I tried to be open minded.

There is a test these salespeople do to "show" how the bands help your balance. In the test the salesperson pushes hard against your body/arms for a few seconds. You lose your balance, of course. Then you immediately put on the band and the salesperson pushes against your body again. This time you don't lose your balance. I was convinced it was simply your body having been conditioned to respond in the second test having lost its balance in the first. To prove it, I had the salesperson push against me, and of course I lost my balance. I then refused to put on the band and instead had the person again push against my body in the same way he would if I had the band on. Guess what? As I knew would happen, I didn't lose my balance. So much for the "balance" test. :dw:

IMO the bands only work if you want to believe they are working, even if they don't do a bloody thing except empty your wallet.

I never tried the balance trick, so I don't know how that works but $25??!! I only paid $6

slowmaro67

Established Member
[ame=http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5699811&categoryid=2378529]OTL: The Power of a Wristband - ESPN Video - ESPN[/ame]

SCAM!!!

Would you like to buy the Brooklyn Bridge??? I haver the title to it and will let it go cheap...LMK ASAP; I've got a lot of other interested buyers but for a fellow SVTP'r, I put you at the top of the list!!!

How can you have the title to the Brooklyn Bridge when I have it? :poke: :shrug:

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
... no ... must not get started on wrist bands ... no ...

The deal is: if this is a placebo effect, which it certainly is, then you can get the effect by will without lightening your wallet. It should be easy, since now you know you can perform at a higher level.

Jim Snover

Krwy

Established Member
Hah. I would love to be the guys who thought of that idea. A hologram and a ****ing rubberband, how awesome to make $17 million from that.

Users who are viewing this thread