API SM/SN certified engine oils, and why NOT to use them.

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Here's a little quote for you!

["This is an important fact to think about whenever you are looking at someone else’s oil report. Driving conditions can have a large effect on the data and unless you know what those conditions are, it is very easy to draw the wrong conclusions.
© Copyright Blackstone Labortories, Inc. 2010
"]

The OPs argument is that the lack of the "ZDDP" additives causes premature engine wear! That argument can NOT be justified by what has been posted in these and other forums! Blanket statements like that are no better then reading palms. They may actually be worse!

Hello Captain Obvious. Not only that but mods, location (extreme heat/cold/dust), driving style, all factor into it. It's been said time and time again in vairous threads that these are just a guide for people to use, that we want to post as many as possible, and people need to make an informed decision. The bottom line is this: If an oil or two show they are cooked at 2,000 miles under multiple scenarios with multiple UOAs, it's a good bet the oil is crap for that particular motor. You need to take the into consideration the totality of the circumstances. It's not like we are doing a scientific double-blind study with hundreds of sample sizes under exacting conditions. This is general info. It's also been said, at least by Beast and I, that whatever oil you do use, you should send in your OWN UOA. I even mentioned that before all of the "new" threads when I posted mine up (first one I believe) last year or the year before....send in your own UOA. I don't understand the aversion to general info or the tension.... I suspect most people have the common sense not to rely on a post on an internet forum and send in their own UOA. While I find the info useful that Beast posts regarding his specific UOA, I'm still going to do my own....just like I've done for many, many years.

Last edited:

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
Here's a little quote for you!
This is an important fact to think about whenever you are looking at someone else’s oil report. Driving conditions can have a large effect on the data and unless you know what those conditions are, it is very easy to draw the wrong conclusions.
© Copyright Blackstone Labortories, Inc. 2010 "]

The OPs argument is that the lack of the "ZDDP" additives causes premature engine wear! That argument can NOT be justified by what has been posted in these and other forums! Blanket statements like that are no better then reading palms. They may actually be worse!
I was just trying to say that both of those lab reports were very close, if anything the Blackstone one gave the Amsoil a bit more TBN which is odd since some ppl on here thought Polaris labs (oil analyzers)was in bed with Amsoil

mobeydick

Established Member
Hello Captain Obvious. Not only that but mods, location (extreme heat/cold/dust), driving style, all factor into it. It's been said time and time again in vairous threads that these are just a guide for people to use, that we want to post as many as possible, and people need to make an informed decision. The bottom line is this: If an oil or two show they are cooked at 2,000 miles under multiple scenarios with multiple UOAs, it's a good bet the oil is crap for that particular motor. You need to take the into consideration the totality of the circumstances. It's not like we are doing a scientific double-blind study with hundreds of sample sizes under exacting conditions. This is general info. It's also been said, at least by Beast and I, that whatever oil you do use, you should send in your OWN UOA. I even mentioned that before all of the "new" threads when I posted mine up (first one I believe) last year or the year before....send in your own UOA. I don't understand the aversion to general info or the tension.... I suspect most people have the common sense not to rely on a post on an internet forum and send in their own UOA. While I find the info useful that Beast posts regarding his specific UOA, I'm still going to do my own....just like I've done for many, many years.
I believe you are correct, if you and I are correct, NO ONE can say one oil is better then another with the UOAs that have been posted, there are way too many variables. You have to be either stupid or LYING to come to any conclusion.

You use UOA sampling to determine the condition of an engine over long periods of time. Using them to determine the quality of oil over a short period of time is worse the reading tea leaves!

BTW: Most people like us buy the oil they believe best for the application. Your application and my application may be very different, even with almost the same vehicle.

I changed the oil in my GT500 Friday, It has 40,000 miles on it. Guess what it doesn’t need the Oil analyzed. I know it’s going to have a higher metal count for several reasons. To take cherry picked low miles UOAs (Almost every person that would get a UOA for there GT500 would have cooling mods) and state definitely there is something wrong with one oil over another is wrong, just plain wrong!

Last edited:

mobeydick

Established Member
I was just trying to say that both of those lab reports were very close, if anything the Blackstone one gave the Amsoil a bit more TBN which is odd since some ppl on here thought Polaris labs (oil analyzers)was in bed with Amsoil

I don't know what Oil Analyzers qualifications are. I had never heard of them before this thread. They may be very qualified; I personally don’t like the layout of the report. I’ve used Blackstone and they are easy to read.
Let’s say they are highly qualified, if they are they need to disassociate with all brands of oil. Don’t advertize on oil company sites, find another way to do it or be prepared to be branded as bias!

shadyninja

Been There, Wrecked That
Established Member
I don't know what Oil Analyzers qualifications are. I had never heard of them before this thread. They may be very qualified; I personally don’t like the layout of the report. I’ve used Blackstone and they are easy to read.
Let’s say they are highly qualified, if they are they need to disassociate with all brands of oil. Don’t advertize on oil company sites, find another way to do it or be prepared to be branded as bias!

you don't get it
Polaris markets private label programs to not only oil company's ( many)

tests.jpg

but also Equipment manufactures ,
If Case and New Holland , & Allison transmission trust them,
they are good enough to test the oil in my Race Car

mobeydick

Established Member
If none of the vehicles you claim above do NOT have remote bypass filter setups, then I call BS on your mileage claims, especially with Mobil 1.

Besides, you have failed to understand a comment I posted above. We are not talking about diesel oil here, only gas passenger car oils. Diesel oils are a completely different ballgame, and are not to be compared to their gas engine oil cousins. At least, not in this thread, at this time.

The only oil company that has ever paid me a DIME was BP, and that was to assist in the MC252 incident to clean up their worst mistake. BP manufacturers Castrol, and no thanks....will not use it. Of course, I was big on German Castrol 0W-30 about 5 years ago.

My logic is undeniable....

and if you would spend 5 years researching oil technologies as I have, you would share the same thoughts as I do.

Because 5W-40 and 10W-40 oils are EASY to find from every manufacturer. Ford cornered the market with 5W-50, well...for the most part.
You are a liar!

untitled.gif

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Great, here we go again.

Users who are viewing this thread