API SM/SN certified engine oils, and why NOT to use them.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
So a diesel engine oil like Rotella T6 that has a dual certification like CI-4/SN does not have to meet the low ZDDP levels? Or is it the oil weight 5W-40 that gives it a pass?

The dual certification gives it a pass, as they were never intended for use in passenger gasoline engine cars. Since I haven't studied diesel lubricants as I have PCMO, I'm only giving information that I have read about elsewhere.

Guess I should buy a diesel engine to force myself to read more about it.

:-D

mobeydick

Established Member
:banana:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...msoil-20w-50-uoa-here-both-labs-included.html

where is that D ic k who said Oil Analyzers would be biased?:burn:
Here's a little quote for you!

["This is an important fact to think about whenever you are looking at someone else’s oil report. Driving conditions can have a large effect on the data and unless you know what those conditions are, it is very easy to draw the wrong conclusions.
© Copyright Blackstone Labortories, Inc. 2010
"]

The OPs argument is that the lack of the "ZDDP" additives causes premature engine wear! That argument can NOT be justified by what has been posted in these and other forums! Blanket statements like that are no better then reading palms. They may actually be worse!

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
He was simply commented how you said,

"OAI isn't a reliable testing facility, they are owned by Amsoil. Therefore they are biased towards Amsoil's products."

So your reply above is yet again, far off base.

Far as "premature wear" from using API SM lubricants. How do you explain wear marks created by API SM lubricants that API SL lubricants didn't?

Although, Shady...I think he has me blocked so he can't view my posts. Guess he prefers to avoid my logic.

Last edited:

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
Op I drive my 03 cobra about 2,000 miles a year in New England.. I store the car from october-mid april ( Never starts over the winter ) You suggest running either of these 2 brands and weights ?

AMSOIL 10W-40 (year round use - will remain a 40 weight)
Royal Purple 10W-40 (year round use - will remain a 40 weight)

I have been using 5w-20 Full synthetic motorcraft and ford racing oil filter

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I have been using 5w-20 Full synthetic motorcraft and ford racing oil filter

Is that a typo, and you meant 5w-50, or you really are using 5w-20?

If you are using a 5W-20, change to at least a 5W-40 or 10W-40. My approved lists thus far for the GT500 is...

Red Line 5W-50
Royal Purple 10W-40
Amsoil 10W-40
Amsoil 20W-50 (summer heat only)

Future testing being considered:

Amsoil 5W-40 European
Amsoil 5W-40 Diesel (already confident with this formulation - similar to Rotella T6 5W-40)
Rotella T6 5W-40 (proven to be very reliable at BITOG)

Last edited:

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
Is that a typo, and you meant 5w-50, or you really are using 5w-20?

If you are using a 5W-20, change to at least a 5W-40 or 10W-40. My approved lists thus far for the GT500 is...

Red Line 5W-50
Royal Purple 10W-40
Amsoil 10W-40
Amsoil 20W-50 (summer heat only)
Rotella T6 5W-40 (proven to be very reliable at BITOG)

Future testing being considered:

Amsoil 5W-40 European
Amsoil 5W-40 Diesel (already confident with this formulation - similar to Rotella 5W-40)

I have a 2003 Cobra w/ 11,000 miles back in 2003 ford started recommending 5w-20

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I have a 2003 Cobra w/ 11,000 miles back in 2003 ford started recommending 5w-20

They sure did, but for other reasons than what's best for the customer. It was a political decision/sacrifice to reduce their penalties under current CAFE laws. Australian modular engines are built the same, but still recommend 5W-30 due to the lack of CAFE laws. I switched a previous car from Mobil 1 5W-20 API SM to Amsoil 0W-30 SSO API SL and actually gained efficiency.

I even gave Mobil 1 5W-20 API SM 30,000 miles to prove it was inferior.

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
They sure did, but for other reasons than what's best for the customer. It was a political decision/sacrifice to reduce their penalties under current CAFE laws. Australian modular engines are built the same, but still recommend 5W-30 due to the lack of CAFE laws. I switched a previous car from Mobil 1 5W-20 API SM to Amsoil 0W-30 SSO API SL and actually gained efficiency.

I even gave Mobil 1 5W-20 API SM 30,000 miles to prove it was inferior.

So for the terminator engine I should run one of these 2 ??

Royal Purple 10W-40
Amsoil 10W-40

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
I'm 35, not a youngster, and paid my dues. Why ignore me? Upset that I beat you at the game you boasted about having more time invested into?

I'm about to dump my current fill of 20W-50 and pour in some 10W-40.

AMSOIL 10W-40

You will want the AMSOIL EaO11 oil filter to complete the package.

AMSOIL EaO11

Run it up to one year or 10,000 miles....whichever occur first.

Do yourself a favor, never pay retail for it. Buy it at dealer cost.

Becoming a preferred customer

Would this be ideal for my motor? Mods in sig. I currently have valvoline full syn 5w-30 in it.

I also remember Scott something(cant remember his last name) on corner carvers who was a Ford Engineer for umpteen years and designed the 5.4L Navi motor and helped design the 4.6L 3V. According to him, you should NEVER use 5w-20 oil in ANY Ford modular engine. 5w-30 is the minimum.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Would this be ideal for my motor? Mods in sig. I currently have valvoline full syn 5w-30 in it.

I also remember Scott something(cant remember his last name) on corner carvers who was a Ford Engineer for umpteen years and designed the 5.4L Navi motor and helped design the 4.6L 3V. According to him, you should NEVER use 5w-20 oil in ANY Ford modular engine. 5w-30 is the minimum.

Agreed, but try to convince those that are confident that Ford makes recommendations that is best for the end user, and not their wallets.

See post #111

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member

I would stay with that 5w30. If you plan to do some serious track time, the 40wt is probably safe, but otherwise, why bother. We're talking '03 Cobra right??

Think the "Scott" could be Scott Whitehead. Bought some Mustang stuff off him years ago when I lived in MI and think I have also seen his name on cc.com as well...

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
i thought the reason for the 5-20 or 5-30 on the 03-04 cobras was due to such tight piston to wall clearence, compared to the loser gt500 piston to wall clearence

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
i thought the reason for the 5-20 or 5-30 on the 03-04 cobras was due to such tight piston to wall clearence, compared to the loser gt500 piston to wall clearence

I wish I had more details on this, as it's good information for me to know.

Although, I would never run 5W-20 in a Terminator. Pour in a robust group IV 5W-30 and call it a day.

Last edited:

6-Speed

Established Member
As far as 40 grade multi-grades go, I think Red Line has some good 5W40 and 10W40 offerings as well, along with a 0W40 oil for those in Alaska.

Users who are viewing this thread