API SM/SN certified engine oils, and why NOT to use them.

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
Currently my 410 Mile 2011 GT500 has the Factory Fill, I added the Red Line ZDDP Engine Oil Additive (Zinc & Phosphorus). Swear that smell of hot metal is gone after running the car in Traffic & I have noticed a significant reduction in heat. When I pop the hood after driving a while I can notice a difference in heat.

I believe the "smell of hot metal" on a new car is due to paints and oils curing/burning off the exterior of components. If you can smell your rod bearings "burning" in traffic you are in deep doo doo!

Last edited:

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
Ok that does it...I just put some Advance Auto Parts oil in my car and I'm going to race it this Sat and see if it blows up. :pepper:

Ha! I am using Canola oil mixed with Kmart Super Oil Treatment (active ingredient: ZDDP). When it gets really hot, it smells like the French Fries you get at NASCAR events!.

Last edited:

RedlineHP

Established Member
So, by his testimonial....if you do NOT use 5W-50, your engine will fail.

He's says, "Do NOT use 40 weight oil in this engine"

but in his first sentence, he said to use an oil that quickly shears to a 40 weight.

Does everyone see where I am going with this?

He say's to use the 5-50 MC. He doesn't talk about theories on shearing

I strongly disagree, it's mediocre at best, and the UOAs we have seen prove it. The added viscosity improvers quickly shear leaving it a 40 weight after 2,000 miles, and a 30 weight after 6,000 miles.

That fine, your opinion/theory.

anyone heard of a GT500 or GT owner destroying their engine using FoMoCo 5W-50 performing the recommending change intervals of 7,500 miles? By his theory, the engine should nuke.....it's only a 30 weight at 6,000 miles.

I haven't heard of anyone doing 7500 mile oil changes in a GT500.

The base stock of a diesel lubricant is the same as a gas passenger car oil. The only differences are in the additive pack.

No offense to the guy (engine builder) who posted this, but HE is the uneducated one here.

Unleased, I understand you Like AMSOIL, but since your the guru, please tell me what training/education background you have in the engine lubrication field. (just wondering)
I'll leave it at that, to many variables in all this...

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Last edited:

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
So your saying to stop taking my car to Jiffy Lube?

That was a joke.

mobeydick

Established Member
Yes Genius its my oil sample I am a Amsoil Dealer why wouldn't I sell my self the kit?
:shrug:

Did you miss this the 1st time around?

Oil Analyzers IS Polaris labs, which sells private lab testing to companies , lets see if anybody you have heard of is trusting their services...

tests.jpg

Read

Fleet Engine Fluid Analysis Service: Oil Analysis, Coolant Analysis, Fuel Analysis and Synthetic Motor Oil Testing Plans
Slick, I didn't miss it; its clear AMSOIL and Oil Analyzers Inc. have mutual monetary gains to be made! I have to assume you have missed that, you posted it twice.

mobeydick

Established Member
Interesting stuff to say the least, especially since I have been a Mobil 1 & Catrol user for years (might have to re-examine that)!

Haven't completely digested everything yet, but coincidentally, last months newsletter from Blackstone touches on the ZDDP issue:

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/News..._Diesel_Newsletter11_22_2010&utm_medium=email

Figured it is worth getting some commentary on this...
That's about what I expected from a Qualified Non-Biased oil Analysis.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Unleased, I understand you Like AMSOIL, but since your the guru, please tell me what training/education background you have in the engine lubrication field. (just wondering)
I'll leave it at that, to many variables in all this...

5 years of reading...
spec sheets
posts from educated field trained people on BITOG
oil company data research (all companies - not just AMSOIL - don't go there)
personal experience of use and UOA data test results
tech sheets on base stocks and formulations
History of oil
Future of oil

I'm always reading something about oil, and new research results are always coming around. Some people under estimate me. I maintained a 4.0 gpa through 4 years of college. My professors always wanted to talk with me because I always have ideas to bring to the table. I'm a great people person and love to talk with people. I even like sharing results of experiments I do for those who are in similar situations.

Despite all of what I said above, because really it doesn't matter. The UOAs we have coming soon will prove the statements I have made in the recent past. Agree or not, I've brought an unbiased view to this and other forums. Some are insistent that AMSOIL makes me biased, but they couldn't be more wrong. I study every companies products to see what works and what doesn't.

In the end, I care about all of the engines that my fellow members own. I want them to last longer than you expect them too.

Last edited:

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Hate to do any thread hijacking, but thought I would add this Blackstone analysis from my Volvo S60R days. Drove this car pretty hard and went 7,500 between oil changes using the German Castrol 0w30.

The Viscosity, Phosphorus and Zinc levels look pretty good (I think), which was one of the many reasons that alluded to this being a pretty good off-the-shelf oil.

May even go back to using in my Cobra & Aviator...

BlackstoneD28922.jpg

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
FWIW, one of the rolex grand-am series daytona prototype teams running the ford 5.0l cammer uses mobil1 5w-30 full synthetic SM spec. BUT, keep in mind that these engines arguably see less abuse than a street driven car(start ups and short warm up periods are rough on engines), and they are rebuilt on a regular basis by roush-yates(meaning, you won't see any long term wear).
i found it more interesting that a ford sponsored team was using mobil1 instead of a ford motorcraft oil rather than the oil being a lower ZDDP SM spec.

it always amazes me how people are skeptical about so many things, but never engine oil. "i'll be damned if i ever use anything other than walmart brand oil, i've never had an engine fail or anything running that stuff!!!"
also, you guys that are skeptical of unleashed, YOU SAW THE CAM SHAFT PICS, RIGHT?! or do you really think that there is some conspiracy, and he set that up? c'mon people!

Last edited:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
While ya'll are bickering, I'm going to throw this in here.

Some of you (nobody in particular, I'm not paying that close of attention)...keep bashing diesel oil.

Does anyone actually READ the diesel bottles to note that they often MEET API-SM, yet contain higher levels of ZDDP?

Why? Because I've yet to see anyone in here address the ILSAC ratings and how most 'car' oils meet it; diesel spec oils (that also meet API SM) are non-ILSAC.

Take Shell Rotella 5-40 synthetic for example: - Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic

Now...it meets API SM, has an excellent shearing resistance from the tests I've seen AND from my understanding the soot control aspect doesn't have any negative impact torwards gasoline engines (if it did, it wouldn't meet API SM now would it?).

So stop knocking the guys using "diesel" oils. It meets API SM (same as your precious Mobil 1 and Amsoil) and has higher ZDDP levels.

I'm not saying that the 15-40 is correct; the 15 is too heavy for cold start because it can't make it up in the heads fast enough with commonly used mod motor tolerances.

Flame suite on....

apexchain

Established Member
Wheels do not clear the Rail Guards for the Pit. You have maybe an inch total error for margin. Talk about marking up the insides of your wheels & knocking your alignment out of spec.

So your saying to stop taking my car to Jiffy Lube?

That was a joke.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
While ya'll are bickering, I'm going to throw this in here.

Some of you (nobody in particular, I'm not paying that close of attention)...keep bashing diesel oil.

Does anyone actually READ the diesel bottles to note that they often MEET API-SM, yet contain higher levels of ZDDP?

Why? Because I've yet to see anyone in here address the ILSAC ratings and how most 'car' oils meet it; diesel spec oils (that also meet API SM) are non-ILSAC.

Take Shell Rotella 5-40 synthetic for example: - Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic

Now...it meets API SM, has an excellent shearing resistance from the tests I've seen AND from my understanding the soot control aspect doesn't have any negative impact torwards gasoline engines (if it did, it wouldn't meet API SM now would it?).

So stop knocking the guys using "diesel" oils. It meets API SM (same as your precious Mobil 1 and Amsoil) and has higher ZDDP levels.

I'm not saying that the 15-40 is correct; the 15 is too heavy for cold start because it can't make it up in the heads fast enough with commonly used mod motor tolerances.

Flame suite on....
i haven't seen one person bash diesel oil, what would be the point?
as far as 'meeting' API SM spec...
I just bought and changed to the RedLine 5W50. Reading the bottles that showed up, its labeled as meeting API SM.

Now I am really confused. Did not someone post a VOA for the RedLine showing it had the higher zinc levels of SL oils? Something does not add up.

I believe the oil analysis more than the label but what gives?
Because technically, it's not certified by the API, but because the NOACK Volatility is low, it will not contaminate the cats any more than the API SM certified formulations with low ZDDP. Therefore, it will meet the requirements, and beyond, of API SM.

When the API takes into account NOACK Volatility, all top tier 100% synthetics could pass API SM & SN.

Last edited:

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
This post has stuck with me about the MC 5-50 oil since Dan posted it,
(I hope he does not mined I copied & reposted it)
I think most will agree he is one of the most knowledgeable people on the 5.4 mod motors.
just food for thought...

Dan Schoneck
Crazy SVT Poster

0.65 per day
Trader Rating: (11) Quote:
Originally Posted by stkjock
Shell Rotella 15w40 IIRC on the weight at the builders suggestion

THE BUILDER IS A IDIOT!!!!!!!! These motors are desingned for the 5-50 just like the ford gt supercar, RUN NOTHING ELSE PERIOD. I had a simular thing happen breakn in a 5.4 alum motor in my gt500 with the wrong oil, not catastophic like yours but 800 miles and some very unhappy bearings. Not and i mean NOT a good idea. The ford synthetic oil is some bad ass shit. They are very tempramental to the oil used in them unlike a oil pushrod motor where you can run any oil availible to man kind and they dont care. Thats f u c k n diesel oil they had in it. What a bunch of tools.

It was Don's comment here. Now I'm not arguing that the 15w is too heavy; just the diesel oil part of the comment alone.

Don knows his stuff. Not arguing any of that one way or the other.

I think there was a couple other comments regarding "don't use diesel oil" along those lines throughout the thread.

Again, I wasn't paying that close of attention as to who/what/why and I don't plan on re-reading the thread.

Carry on :beer:

Bulldogger

Established Member
Synthetic 5w-40 diesel oil like Delo, Rotella... are very good oils and I doubt highly they would cause any engine issues in a GT500 or any other engine. Diesel engine oil survives the heat of a turbo, and the high tempretures associated with pulling heavy loads. Diesel oil has some additional additives to deal with soot as a by product of diesel combustion but this won't in anyway effect it as a lubricater. Diesel oil has been used in Goldwings and alot of supercharged mercedes and has had good UOA's returned. If you are going to run a 10-40 you could easily get by with a synthetic diesel oil with a 5w-40 weight. If you plan on changing your engine oil every 3000 miles I see no reason not to run diesel oil, it is relatively inexpensive compaired to other synthetics like Motorcraft, Amsoil,Castrol.. and if it handles the stress of a diesel truck engine it will handle the GT500 engine

Robertt305

Devil Dog
Established Member
Seriously guys, diesel oil?

Dude I'm not an oil guru and I don't care to be one, I just want to know what's the best oil for my ride. You guys are going way to into the he said she said BS.

Be civil, state facts and show documented proof and keep the personal opinions out of this because this thread is starting to drag and it's getting blown out of proportion.

If you think someone is biased or a lab then just send off a sample your self and post the damn thing.

Users who are viewing this thread