Are a lot of people forgetting the 2011 GT is still a GT?

SVTour99

Up and Coming SVT Poster
Established Member
I derive value from the fact that I ordered this car exactly how I wanted it from the factory and that I have been able to document everything. I ordered it from a dealer about 400 miles from me so I took a weekend trip with the parents to pick it up. We spent the weekend at Niagara Falls and now have a cool story to tell. I plan on keeping this car and will have it paid off in a year.

I understand that new cars are a bad financial decisions but I don't give a damn. Life is too short to worry about saving a coupe grand if you can afford it, which I can.

warlockgs

Established Member
The average return of the S&P 500 over the past 100 years is 11.43% (compound annual growth rate of 9.53%). An average growth stock mutual fund should match or beat that.

If you're uncomfortable with the long time span... it has grown 12.93% (CAGR of 11.39%) over the past 30 years.

CAGR of the Stock Market: Annualized Returns of the S&P 500

Even if I'm half wrong... It's still a load of money!

Switching out of an S&P500 based mutual fund into 100% gold is what allowed me to afford my brand-new 2011 GT. And even then, I *still* financed a good chunk of the car purchase. Why? Because my investing strategy outruns the percentage rate on my car loan.

Sure, over a LONG period of time, the S&P500 will give 12%; if you're smarter, you can see trends before they happen and move your money around accordingly, and find even bigger returns.

But this is a Mustang forum, not an investment one.

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
I'll tell you something my mother told me once when I was a kid.." If your gonna live your life always scared of getting hit by a bus for crossing the street, then well, you'll never get to see what is on the other side will you?"

There are 2 types of workin people.. Those who work to live and those who live to work.. You sound like the latter of the 2..

You're mother was right. Just like to look both ways before your cross. Just don't run out there without looking, and then expect someone else to pay for your health care and disability when you get hit.

If one makes stupid decisions with his money, he will always have to work. -> therefore becoming the 'live to work' type you mention. He who understands how money works and makes it work for him will in the end retire early with $5M in mutual funds, a paid-for house, and two new Mercedes in the garage. Who's living now?

Last edited:

warlockgs

Established Member
I also will posit this: It is absolutely worth it to me to pay 20% of the cost of the car to be the only person to ever own it. I know everything that's been done to my car, because *I* did it. I know who did the work, that their work was trustworthy, and that it was done to my standards.

So, yes, 20% of the value of the car, versus paying potentially more than that later to fix somebody else's choices with the car.

I have a saying I use (I didn't come up with it): Pay now, or pay more later.

1Sick2Valve

Established Member
I don't regret the bacon double cheeseburger I had for lunch either... right now. However, when I'm suffering from a massive heart attack at age 45... I might regret it...then.

There you go again. Expecting something to happen that may never happen. Sounds like you're terrified of the "what if". Doesnt sound like you're living life at all.

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
So, yes, 20% of the value of the car, versus paying potentially more than that later to fix somebody else's choices with the car.

I have a saying I use (I didn't come up with it): Pay now, or pay more later.

How many times could you completely rebuild a used car for the $20k you loose in depreciation on a new car? Don't fall for the MYTH that buying a new car saves you money.

F8L SN8K

Established Member
Car payments are a way of life. You're always going to have a car payment. It's just the way it is. It's a part of life so you might as well accept it. Life is rough so get a low payment and a nice car. You need to enjoy things while you can. The little man just cant get ahead. Youre always going to have a car payment. In my best whiny voice. 80% of American millionaires are first generation rich. Who's this little man who is having so much problems?*

Why spend 600-800$ a month to impress somebody you'll never meet? Buying stuff with money you don't have to impress people you don't like. Keeping up with the jones's will keep a person in Financial mediocre at best case scenario. People taking out loans on things they cant pay for is a big reason why the economy takes recessions. *

You deserve a nice car when you can pay cash for it. Your family doesn't deserve to be put at risk because some one wanted a toy. Job loss, cut backs, increase living expenses and emergencies arise all the time and can back you into a corner because you are in slavery to your wants and the lender. Don't go get stuff when you don't have the money to pay for it. That's what children do. Adults devise a plan and work to achieve their goal. Children do what feels good.*

Choose your priorities. Retirement, a score card(net worth or stuff), or instant gratification.*

Buying a new car for it's warranty is a joke. I was ignorant and bought my wife a new car that I wanted(did you catch that) bought a new 07 five hundred. Retail price was 28k now has 65k miles books for 10k now. I "got a good deal" 6k off from x plan and rebates. But tack on what we were upside down on the trade in and that soaked up some of that. With all of the warranty work totaling about $300. (New rear brakes that was warped) so I spent an extra 15k to save $300. Makes sense to me. Well that was my argument then. Lol. God am I glad I've developed a little bit of a brain. I believe in having nice things. There are many things that I buy new. Electronics and car parts are some. Bad investments but affects my net worth very little. I'm HUGE into cars beyond a doubt. But I have begun to follow the rules of the affluent people more. Cars are not investments to me. Its a hobby I'm not going to let a hobby put the rest of my life in danger.*

It will happen you will get older. You will retire. You will die and the ones you leave behind will deal with the burden of unfinished buisness you leave behind with dealing with your estate. Live everyday to it's fullest but don't bet that it is the last day of the world. Because when you wake up the next day you still have to deal with the conciquenses of your actions from the past.

warlockgs

Established Member
How many times could you completely rebuild a used car for the $20k you loose in depreciation on a new car? Don't fall for the MYTH that buying a new car saves you money.

20K? Yikes. I paid under 30K for mine, I hope it hasn't depreciated to below-10K already.

What I meant with my comment was that I might not have liked how the car was originally optioned, so I might need to change stuff to get it the way I want it. It is HARD to find a car optioned the way you wanted it to be optioned, especially on a super-customizable platform like Mustang. Fixing how the previous owner set up the car is a LOT more expensive than getting the car brand new.

What's the myth, now?

OhIIICobra

Established Member

:lol:

You absolutely do not lose $20K in depreciation on a new car.

You should check that the Kool-aid your drinking hasn't been tainted.

OhIIICobra

Established Member
He who understands how money works and makes it work for him will in the end retire early with $5M in mutual funds, a paid-for house, and two new Mercedes in the garage. Who's living now?

Not everything in life works out as planned. Many have already experienced these mutual funds you speak of and their "gains" circa 2000. Be sure to chime in on SVTP when you have your $5M and have your two precious Mercedes. Nobody will really give a shit then, kinda like now. :poke:

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
:lol:

You absolutely do not lose $20K in depreciation on a new car.

You should check that the Kool-aid your drinking hasn't been tainted.

A typical $35k new car will depreciate to $15k in four years (based on a 20% per year rate of depreciation)... that's a $20k loss. If you're not comfortable with the 4 year example, you can wait only one year to buy that car. You'll save the first $7k depreciation hit... that's still enough to buy an new crate engine. Plus, you'll still have a couple of years left on the factory warranty.

If you really want to get rid of $35k, buy a used 2011 and use the savings to install a blower. :)

Last edited:

BLK93GT

Established Member
The Cobra and GT500 were easier to find with low miles and un abused than a GT will be I'm guessing. My friend bought his '04 cobra with under 3k miles and saved over $5k off a new one, then he got his '07 GT500 for $10k under new price with under 3k miles as well. Now he just bought a 2010 GT500 black/grabber stripe with super low miles for alot less than new too. I would rather save a pile of $$ and not take the initial hit on a car and get a low mile one used.

Grant808

Established Member
The average return of the S&P 500 over the past 100 years is 11.43% (compound annual growth rate of 9.53%). An average growth stock mutual fund should match or beat that.

If you're uncomfortable with the long time span... it has grown 12.93% (CAGR of 11.39%) over the past 30 years.

CAGR of the Stock Market: Annualized Returns of the S&P 500

Even if I'm half wrong... It's still a load of money!

Wow. You're more than half wrong. Click the 'adjust for inflation box' and see what happens to your example. Well, unless you want to argue that we live in an inflation-free vacuum.

Really, since you even admit that you considered yourself 'a rat in that wheel' just a couple years ago, you shouldn't be trying to give investment advice.

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
Wow. You're more than half wrong. Click the 'adjust for inflation box' and see what happens to your example. Well, unless you want to argue that we live in an inflation-free vacuum.

Really, since you even admit that you considered yourself 'a rat in that wheel' just a couple years ago, you shouldn't be trying to give investment advice.

The corrected average rate of return for the S&P 500 was 11.39% over the past 30 years. When adjusted for inflation, the rate drops to 7.68%, which is nearly 70% of 11.39%. Therefore, I was less than half wrong even if you include inflation.

However, including inflation is not appropriate in this discussion. I simply stated how much the $475 annuity might be worth after 30 years of investment. I made no claims of the purchasing power of that money. If you demand that inflation is considered when assessing the outcome of the investment, then to be fair you must also include inflation in the amount of money you are putting into the investment by NOT buying a new car. The $475 figure was used based on today's average car payment. Inflation will cause that number to increase as well, and thus cause the monthly investment value to increase by an amount that nearly offsets inflation. Rather than cloud the discussion with all of that, I chose to keep it simpler by ignoring inflation altogether.

As for being a rat in the wheel, I just wanted to convey that I, too, had once believed the same myths and misconceptions that many others in this forum have argued. I would prefer to learn how to win from someone who has overcome adversity, not from someone who has never faced it.

Last edited:

chrisheltra

Established Member
The corrected average rate of return for the S&P 500 was 11.39% over the past 30 years. When adjusted for inflation, the rate drops to 7.68%, which is nearly 70% of 11.39%. Therefore, I was less than half wrong even if you include inflation.

However, including inflation is not appropriate in this discussion. I simply stated how much the $475 annuity might be worth after 30 years of investment. I made no claims of the purchasing power of that money. If you demand that inflation is considered when assessing the outcome of the investment, then to be fair you must also include inflation in the amount of money you are putting into the investment by NOT buying a new car. The $475 figure was used based on today's average car payment. Inflation will cause that number to increase as well, and thus cause the monthly investment value to increase by an amount that nearly offsets inflation. Rather than cloud the discussion with all of that, I chose to keep it simpler by ignoring inflation altogether.

As for being a rat in the wheel, I just wanted to convey that I, too, had once believed the same myths and misconceptions that many others in this forum have argued. I would prefer to learn how to win from someone who has overcome adversity, not from someone who has never faced it.

Who gives a shit? If you can afford it buy it, if you cant dont. Simple as that we dont need your condescending lecture. You sound like my ****ing dad.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
Who gives a shit? If you can afford it buy it, if you cant dont. Simple as that we dont need your condescending lecture. You sound like my ****ing dad.

thank you, your right on. this Lifted07Duramax is a douche. look at his threads. I dont know who buys a car and cares what its worth. u buy a car because u can afford it and like it. Im so sick of reading forums with people crying about nonsense.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I ordered it from a dealer about 400 miles from me so I took a weekend trip with the parents to pick it up. We spent the weekend at Niagara Falls and now have a cool story to tell.

I live a few minutes from the Falls. Did you buy the car from Steve Baldo Ford?

Users who are viewing this thread