Are raptors selling??????

mysticalsnake

Established Member
oh, they're definitely selling. If i can remember correctly there are over 3,000 units that have been ordered by people, and already well over 700 have been delivered to customers.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
They don't seem to be sellling in my area. The local dealers all have them on their lots... "asking sticker but willing to deal" is what I was told by the two when I asked what they wanted for them. The one here in Temple has had their orange one since they first came out and they also have a black one for a few weeks. The other dealership near by has had an orange one since the first week they were delivered to dealers.

I would not mind having one.... but I'd wait for the 6.2L and a crew cab.

I really wish Ford would have spent the R&D time on a new Lightning though. I think it would far out sell the Raptor and would also appeal to more buyers. I think there are more people looking for a fast 2wd street truck than a off-road 4x4....being as most 4x4 owners rarely ever get off a paved road.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Lift kits way outsell speed parts when it comes to truck parts. In the truck world the really money is in 4x4s. The Raptor would likely outsell a similarly priced L 2:1.

They don't seem to be sellling in my area. The local dealers all have them on their lots... "asking sticker but willing to deal" is what I was told by the two when I asked what they wanted for them. The one here in Temple has had their orange one since they first came out and they also have a black one for a few weeks. The other dealership near by has had an orange one since the first week they were delivered to dealers.

I would not mind having one.... but I'd wait for the 6.2L and a crew cab.

I really wish Ford would have spent the R&D time on a new Lightning though. I think it would far out sell the Raptor and would also appeal to more buyers. I think there are more people looking for a fast 2wd street truck than a off-road 4x4....being as most 4x4 owners rarely ever get off a paved road.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
I don't think I've even seen one on the road yet. I haven't been by the dealership yet.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I really wish Ford would have spent the R&D time on a new Lightning though.

ford did. they spent lots of money and lots of time on the new f150. what did they find you might ask? same thing as dodge found!
that a heavier 500hp truck would not be significantly faster than the old lightning and it would be significantly more expensive. the diffference between ford and dodge is that ford cut their losses, while dodge took a beating on the srt10 year after year.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
ford did. they spent lots of money and lots of time on the new f150. what did they find you might ask? same thing as dodge found!
that a heavier 500hp truck would not be significantly faster than the old lightning and it would be significantly more expensive. the diffference between ford and dodge is that ford cut their losses, while dodge took a beating on the srt10 year after year.

Precisely.

dose anyone know if they will be making a supercrew?

Test mules have been spotted.

CompOrangeCobra

Established Member
I agree that new lightning (gen 3) would have been to expensive for a very small improvement in performance, but why oh why did they kill the adrenaline, I mean smaller, lighter, 4 doors, AWD, with a very solid and mod friendly engine (03-04 sc 4.6 cobra motor) and a 6spd auto to boot, talk about the best of almost all worlds (not an offroad vehicle), I was ready to trade my cobra in for one...any info why it was killed, never heard what happened, and sorry for the mini hijack...but I'm still digging the Raptor though.

CGoeschel

Established Member
We're the #1 Raptor dealer in the nation with 17 sold so far!! 11 in stock still if anyone is interested.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member

If that was why the new Lightning never came to market.... then why the hell did Ford build a GT500? They are 400lbs heavy than a terminator, they are no faster than a terminator stock vs stock, and they cost $10K plus over what a terminator did.. oh and the fuel mileage is worse too.

The reason the Viper truck did not sell....
Its was $55K when you could buy a faster L for 20k less.
It sucked gas horribly 8mpg from what friends of mine with them say.
It did not handle as great as an L
It did not have a good trailer towing capacity
And it did not have a good established following unlike the L that was a hit with the first gen "mustang w/a bed"

Same could be said for Cyclone/Typhoon... they did not sell as well as expected due to no towing capacity, complicated engineering (at the time) with the AWD system etc etc... and the skeptics at the time said the 93L would not sell because the GMC had dismal sales. Yet Ford proved them wrong.

If Ford would have built a 05-up Lighting with 450 hp ( Saleen, Roush & Foose P/Us are all rated at this hp level with just a stock 5.4-3V & M112 eaton) , and nice suspension package, some wheels and a simple "body kit" and priced it in the mid 40s... they would have flown off the show room floors faster than Ford could have built them.

Ford has proven time & time again that they do not have to offer the fastest, highest hp, nor cheapest vehicles to be able to sell them. Fords sell due to owner loyalty and quality for the most part... they offer a good basis for a reasonable price with above average quality.

Last edited:

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
I think the Raptor is a cool looking truck with some neat features for off road use BUT.... In comparison to other "new to market" vehicles, Ford dealers are already heavily discounting them to get them off the lots and they have only been available for what 3-4 months??? I think the Raptor will be dead in 3 years. Next year they will have the 6.2 (3K option!!!) and possibly the crew cab (which will probably help a little)... then sales will fall off even more for the 2012 m/y.

The Lighinings were sold for $5K-10K over sticker in '99 when the 2nd gen came out and for the most part held sticker all the way up until there demise in '04. Which proves that they had a strong following. They were an old "heritage" body style in 04 yet still sold for sticker against the new all wonderful '04 F150 (that was rebated within a few months)

OzzDOA

E-Green and Mean!
Established Member
I have seen a white one and an orange one on dealer lots in my area. They have been there every time I have driven past, and it's been over a month since I first spotted them.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
If that was why the new Lightning never came to market.... then why the hell did Ford build a GT500? They are 400lbs heavy than a terminator, they are no faster than a terminator stock vs stock, and they cost $10K plus over what a terminator did.. oh and the fuel mileage is worse too.

The reason the Viper truck did not sell....
Its was $55K when you could buy a faster L for 20k less.
It sucked gas horribly 8mpg from what friends of mine with them say.
It did not handle as great as an L
It did not have a good trailer towing capacity
And it did not have a good established following unlike the L that was a hit with the first gen "mustang w/a bed"

the new lightning would have been 45 to 50k. it would have had terrible gas milage and was too damn heavy to go anywhere! they would have been a 13 flat stock truck. basically what the 30k lightning was.

the gt500 was .2-.3 faster than a stock 03/04 and 2 to 3 mph faster in the 1320. they are now .4 to .5 faster with a 6 mph higher trap. this is significant! no your right price/performance is not the same(as the 03/04 was better in this category) but the fact is the gt500 was significantly faster statistically speaking!

some are calling this the worst economy since the great depression. the fact that ford is selling any high dollar toys is an accomplishment in itself. speaking of, the 03/04 that you speak so highly of had to be sold with 3k rebates, and under invoice even as the economy was still high!:poke:

Last edited:

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
the new lightning would have been 45 to 50k. it would have had terrible gas milage and was too damn heavy to go anywhere! they would have been a 13 flat stock truck. basically what the 30k lightning was.

the gt500 was .2-.3 faster than a stock 03/04 and 2 to 3 mph faster in the 1320. they are now .4 to .5 faster with a 6 mph higher trap. this is significant! no your right price/performance is not the same(as the 03/04 was better in this category) but the fact is the gt500 was significantly faster statistically speaking!

some are calling this the worst economy since the great depression. the fact that ford is selling any high dollar toys is an accomplishment in itself. speaking of, the 03/04 that you speak so highly of had to be sold with 3k rebates, and under invoice even as the economy was still high!:poke:

If significant performance gains were needed everytime there was a bodystyle change.... then we would all be driving 2500hp+ daily drivers that got 50mpg... you just can't siginificantly increase power everytime. If the performance between the old & new style were exactly the same people would still buy them merely for the fact of having the newest look... not the old bodystyle.

In the streets of the real world... a stock termintor and a stock GT500 run side by side. The GT500 has 400+ lbs more weight to pull around.

The 03 Cobras never sold for below window sticker, infact in my area they never sold for sticker as they were always above MSRP. The 04 Cobras also sold for more than sticker untill the very end when the 05 Mustang was finally being released...and the dealers that were still raping buyers on '04 Cobra finally had to discount them to move an old body style after the introduction of the first major platform redesign since 1979!. The GT500 sold for over sticker the first year but was been discounted in '08, 09, and '10 already.

The '04 Lighting was $35K MSRP and they ran 13.3-13.5 stock... so a $45k New Lightning that ran 13.flat would have been a significant gain. :poke:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
If significant performance gains were needed everytime there was a bodystyle change.... then we would all be driving 2500hp+ daily drivers that got 50mpg... you just can't siginificantly increase power everytime. If the performance between the old & new style were exactly the same people would still buy them merely for the fact of having the newest look... not the old bodystyle.

In the streets of the real world... a stock termintor and a stock GT500 run side by side. The GT500 has 400+ lbs more weight to pull around.

The 03 Cobras never sold for below window sticker, infact in my area they never sold for sticker as they were always above MSRP. The 04 Cobras also sold for more than sticker untill the very end when the 05 Mustang was finally being released...and the dealers that were still raping buyers on '04 Cobra finally had to discount them to move an old body style after the introduction of the first major platform redesign since 1979!. The GT500 sold for over sticker the first year but was been discounted in '08, 09, and '10 already.

The '04 Lighting was $35K MSRP and they ran 13.3-13.5 stock... so a $45k New Lightning that ran 13.flat would have been a significant gain. :poke:

i thought they were faster than that. clearly it did not work for one manufacturer. the 50k srt which as you point out is significantly faster than the old lightning, turning 13 flat loss money every year. from what i know ford tested the new lightning for 2 years or so then scrubbed it because they believed it would not sell at the new price point. end of story!

the gt500 is only 200 more lbs than the 03. the 03 had the heavy iron block as well!:eek:

04SolidSnake

Canadian Snake
Established Member
In comparison to other "new to market" vehicles, Ford dealers are already heavily discounting them to get them off the lots and they have only been available for what 3-4 months???

Weird.. In Canada, they are selling for OVER sticker.. I guess our economy is going right along strongly. I just picked mine up at sticker.. There is 0 Raptor inventory here, and any that do arrive at the dealership are already sold..

More free cash up here I guess??

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

That pretty much sums it up.

You're forgetting that that GT500 is superior in basically every way when compared to a Terminator, as it should be considering the price and advancement in technology. Unfortunately the L has to start with a platform that does not lend itself to being a performance vehicle, the leap in technology between platforms would not have been there to give the performance to justify it. The current F-150 platform is much better suited to build the Raptor from than it would have been to build the Gen 3 L.

DJG

Established Member
Saw two Raptors within a couple blocks of eachother in Bellevue, Washington today... One black, one red. Honestly, it may have to grow on my, personally. First impression, on the road, it just kind of looked like plasticky tonka toy - Not a huge fan! Give me some time, I'm sure my perception will change...

qachargh

Established Member
I saw a blue one the other day stuck in traffic on the opposite side of the freeway. It looked almost majestic the way it stood out against the drab backdrop of silver and white Japanese econoboxes.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
A friend & I looked at a loaded blue Raptor this weekend at the LRS anniversary bash. The dealership owner was there and we asked him if they were selling well. He told us that they had yet to sell one and were willing to deal on it... even said he would order whatever we wanted in one and would deal on it too.

I finally saw the first Raptor on the road this weekend..... all of them in my area are still sitting on dealer lots.

Maybe people in areas where the dealers are asking MSRP or above should buy one in Texas.... you'd have transport cost but could still come out cheaper than buying in your area.

Users who are viewing this thread