Are the T-56 transmissions for the Cobra tied to a VIN?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Seeing that they're all the same, I wouldn't think so. Now if there were 2-3 different transmissions offered for the 2003-2004 Cobra then yes. Anyone else have info on this?

RussZTT

Established Member
Ive never seen a VIN on our trans. Usually its only the block that can be tied to vehicles, not the drive-train.

Quick Strike

Established Member
There was a tag on mine. I made sure to put it back. I am not sure what was emboldened on it.

cj428mach

Established Member
I can't speak for modern cars, but starting in the late 60's Ford assembly line workers were supposed to stamp engines and transmissions with the VIN number for the car. Some cars got complete VIN's, some incomplete and some not at all. I believe it was federal law so I would assume things haven't changed.

Last edited:

jgriff18

Established Member
On my 99 cobra the last part of my vin was stamped into the t45 like the last 5 numbers i believe.

MysticRob

Established Member
There was a tag on mine. I made sure to put it back. I am not sure what was emboldened on it.

I crawled around on my back changing the tranny fluid and saw a tag on mine also, but it was only for the Ford part # of the T56, as I looked it up later. I had no VIN info on the tag, or on any other part of the tranny that I could see from my vantage point. :beer:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks for the updates. If there was a VIN, I'd want to update my Terminator FAQs with it.

Captain Chris

Established Member
Ok good to know that the Terminators don't have a VIN stamped. Wanted to check on that.

Haha Tim, I'll let you know........after I get it fixed! ;-)

jgriff18

Established Member
I found this on a corvette site about the t56 vin its worth a look for ya'll.

ON THE TRANS YOU WILL FIND THE LAST "9" DIGITS OF THE VIN two 'casting boxes' up from TREMEC on the LHS side of the case

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
jeez i have had mine out so many times now, even just a couple weeks ago, but never really checked it out. it would be interesting to know.

do the engine blocks show a part of the vin? and if so, where?

95SC

Banned
Not sure on the T-56 but engine blocks have last 8 digits of the VIN stamped on them

ctgreddy

Established Member
I was just messing around with my t56 installing a few things today, and saw no vin on it. I would say it's safe to say that there's no vin on the trans.

Captain Chris

Established Member
Next time I'm over at Tim's house I'll have to check my original tranny. It's current home is on his basement floor (thanks Tim!) :D :thumbsup:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
nobody else with any info on this?

somehow i'm doubting that numbers like that actually are stamped anymore, because it seems like all of the assembly plant numbers have those bar-coded stickers, and have been for a long time now

Snake Plissken

Established Member
Let me go out to the garage and check (it's sit'n on a pallet)......I shall return.

I see none. There are some numbers above the name Tremec, but I'm sure that's for their reference.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread